Wubi-users???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 19monty64, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Has anyone with Wubi installed been offered the 7.10 upgrade yeto_O Curious if any members have experienced the same situation as me....

2. 19monty64

I take it that's a "NO"...

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yes I have. The day when 7.10 was released Ubuntu told me that I could upgrade to GG. And so I did, it took a along time to upgrade though, but once it did all was fine.

4. 19monty64

Did you use any work-arounds or did it install OK on its owno_O

5. sukarof

The installation was just fine I had to change my Nvidia drivers to get the Compiz interface but that was after the installation. A bit annoying though that you have to answer questions (something about writing over some files) several times in the updating process, it halted the installation every time and if you didnt sit in front of the computer all the time the updating takes a long time (two hours in my case)

6. 19monty64

2.5 hours in my case, and the upgrade rendered Ubuntu unbootable. Windows Install Clean Up and Add/Remove Programs no longer recognized the installation.

7. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Tried last Saturday and the download went fine...good sustained speeds. The installation failed. Tried again today with the same result but this time I was able to roll back to Feisty. Have to wait until the new vesion of Wubi comes out....drat!

8. Riverrun

Does anyone know if a future release of Wubi will install Gutsy Gibbon?

9. sukarof

Yes. I´ve read somewhere (cant find it now) on a forum posts from a alpha tester that they are testing it now. It could take some weeks until it is ready though, he/she couldnt be more specific..

10. Riverrun

Wubi is a great resource and if it hadn't come along I wouldn't be using Ubuntu right now. I know that I won't be trying an Alpha or even a Beta version but it's great to know that development is ongoing. I look forward to a final release and in the meantime I've ordered the Gutsy Live CD. Needless to say I like Ubuntu and I'm dying to try GG.

11. 19monty64

When the upgrade to GG failed I went to the Wubi-forum. The official statement was, "Please note that Wubi is intended to be a medium term solution to make up your mind about Ubuntu. If you tried Ubuntu and you liked it, I strongly encourage you to consider using Ubuntu on a dedicated partition via LVPM, Unetbootin or the LiveCD." I found this quite disappointing because if I wanted to try out Ubuntu I could use the LiveCD. Using Wubi allowed me to access Win-files even when Windows wouldn't boot. Using Wubi and Erunt allowed me to repair the Win-registry. That and the fact that I could avoid partitioning completely, made Wubi very attractive. I even manged to convert my daughters to using Ubuntu exclusively, which allowed me to avoid installing messengers in Windows!

12. Riverrun

Well, I've taken the jump and installed GG in it's own 50Gb. partition. I was a little nervous about doing so but the download went well and the ISO burn checked out, the Live CD worked as advertised and I decided to go ahead.

The only mistake I made was disconnecting from the net; a judicious precaution, I thought. This caused a stall at 82%. The cable from my router was still inserted in it's slot and Ubuntu was trying in vain to update.

When I finally figured what was wrong and removed the cable things started up again. However, neither the Update Manager nor the Add/Remove programs were working. I rebooted a few times but it made no difference. Luckily, the Linux Community support is first class and I found solutions in literally a matter of minutes. I put that down to beginners luck! A couple of scripts later and everything was normal.

Half an hour on and I was fully up to date. If it hadn't been for Wubi, I would not have been willing to try Ubuntu; it a great introduction to Linux. As for the future, well, Ubuntu is a keeper but I'll be trying a few more flavors via live CDin the near future, hopefully.

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello
    I am getting to grips with this (wubi) and was wondering how it would go when installed into a primary FDSIR snapshot. ??

Conflict with fdisr boot manager?
    WHat would come up first?

No real idea, just speculating.
    Heh:trying for the best of all worlds here: any experience, tips...?

14. 19monty64

Betcha...
    Wubi...

I had XP/PCLOS on separate partitions and tried installing Wubi 1st (no luck) Lubi next (no luck) as the boot-mgr (with feisty fawn) took over boot-loader and ignored other partition. In theory it could work though, you gonna tryo_O

15. Longboard

I think discretion may be better part of valour here.
    I'll stick with simple dual boot and/or spare *nix machine.

But does look like a great app.

16. 19monty64

17. sukarof

If anyone is tired of waiting for Wubi gutsy gibbon (or any distro really) . Just do what I did:
    Download Gparted, takes some of your C drive (I use 15GB) and make a ext3 partition and install Linux there. I never made a swap partition, I dont know if it is nessecary if one has 2GB ram?

Beware of the Grub loader though if you have SATA. At least for me Grub wouldnt load Ubuntu. I think it has something to do with not being really compatible if you have both IDE and SATA drives, Grub gets confused or something :)
    After some googling I managed to install LILO instead so I can alterrnate between ubuntu and Windows (yes works fine with FDISR)

Ubuntu this way is much faster than with wubi, but I guess that is no surprise for anyone.

18. Longboard

Oh, don't worry me 2 : love it.

Just have to do some installs now and then.:)

Use VM as much as possible but often run into issues with Xorg and VMTools.

I have kind of defaulted to Puppy and Knoppix and keep some stuff on the windows or other partitions when I log out.
    At home I have very basic needs and dont really care about the eye candy stuff.

heh: so many options : love it.
    No need to settle for one yet. Still learning.
    Actually enjoying the box again :)

You not paying attention ?? ;)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188900
    :D

Regards.

19. 19monty64

I too had problems with xorg when running puppy, so I had to use xvesa (for older pc's) as I guess 9 mos. is pretty oldo_O So far PCLOS is the only distro that can adapt to my monitors (native) resolution of 1440x900.
    I read at the Wubi-forum that GutsyGibbon should be out of alpha in 2-3 weeks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.