What do you think of ThreatFire (formerly Cyberhawk)?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dcdc, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

It caused slowdowns and several freezes on my machine. It may work well on yours, but when something does not play well with my machine it gets uninstalled quickly.

NOD32
    Windows XP Firewall
    WinPatrol Plus

3. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Oddly enough, that's why I uninstalled the latest version of Spyware Doctor. It caused several freezeups a week, or at least they stopped happening with I removed SD.

4. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

I actually love it. I was worried that it would conflict with my other security apps that are active on my computer. I have mcafee virus scan +, spyware doctor and comodo firewall all running with threatfire and some might think that my system should've crashed by now but oddly enough it hasn't. Haven't had a problem with it since install.

5. BCEE

BCEE Registered Member

I think I like it overall. I may be experiencing a slight performance hit, not completely sure. Other than that, I've had no conflicts with any other software on my PC. It hasn't flagged anything as suspicious or dangerous yet except for when I run PrevX CSI.

I'm running AntiVir PE Classic, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, No Script, Firefox and ThreatFire. I run ASquared and PrevX CSI as back-ups.

I tried Cyberhawk back in the day (can't remember which version) and it made my pc un-useable, so I uninstalled it. This seems to be much much better.

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I love it.I launched some leak tests and behaved fine!I would use it,if i could disable the net module.Because,unfortunately,when i browse with FF,Threatfire has CPU spikes(from 15% and above in dual core Athlon 64) in every new page i open.Once the page is loaded,it goes back to zero.At the end,i watched my task manager and saw that TF was the most CPU time hungry program i had running.And that is unacceptable for me.

7. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

If you are using Task Manager, you might consider downloading the freebie Process Explorer : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processexplorer.mspx, once an application from sysinternals, but now a part of Microsoft.:(

I'm not that sophisticated a user, but I still find the information presented invaluable.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had it running with Avira PE and Sandboxie on a PC, and this to me, it was I would call a "Suite".;)

10. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

That's a combination (plus a router) that is working fantastic for me right now also. Couldn't be any lighter.:)

11. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I found a potential problem with ThreatFire used with BootBack.
    I added ThreatFire a couple of days ago.
    Today I tried to copy my primary snapshot to the second snapshot.
    While in the process, TF popped up a screen showing BootBack as a potiental risk. I allowed it. Popped up the 2nd time and I also allowed it.
    Shortly after BootBack showed 4 errors.. Cancelled the copy and tried again. The same thing.
    I did a total uninstall of BootBack and tried again to make the 2nd snapshot.
    Received the 4 errors again.
    This time I uninstalled ThreatFire and tried again.
    Worked perfectly.
    It would seem that Threatfire is the cause of this problem.
    Has anyone else had this problem that uses BootBack or FD-ISR?
    I was getting to like ThreatFire but can't use it under these conditions.
    Dan:cool:

12. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

a good auxiliary security software, modest resource usage
    but its alert information is too simple:doubt:

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

In all fairness to Threatfire, I reinstalled the program to try again.
    Still leaves the errors in BootBack, but if I suspend TF while I'm copying the snapshot it causes no problems.
    If I put off anyone from trying TF because of the previous post, I apologize. :( As for me, I think I'll keep TF around awhile.:)

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I would never use it because I like my privacy. ThreatFire is just as big a privacy violater as was CyberHawk. I would not want a Unique Identifier on my system nor would I want my IP identified because I blocked a threat.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not very much anymore i'm afraid.

As an early fan of (fomerly) Cyberhawk, i found one maybe two versions fresh after beta that seemed to be as close to reliable and useful as a behavioral blocker could possibly get.

Then there went a stretch where after awhile previously unseen issues began to crop up in a variety of manners, such as system/boot delays (heaviness) or in another release persistent FP's alerting to normal (safe) activity over and over again. Then even now in ThreatFire theres still i believe (4) program drivers and i just can't help but believe theres something to do with the coding of one or more of those items that have made issue with it.

Of course theres also the aforemention privacy issue, if using Community Protection, which i normally wouldn't use anyway (Just Custom Rules), if i did, i would have to choose Prevx which is been around a bit longer with that type of concept.

16. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Personally I've never understood the paranoia behind these concepts - as far as I'm concerned, it's like going "eeek!" just because people can see what hair color you have or how many blue cars you saw on the streets today. These kinds of data are totally useless to them if they wanted to spy on you or your personal habits in any way, but I suppose to each his own.

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Well said and I agree. :D
    The Eula says it collects this info if you participate in the Community Protection, which I do.
    The user has a choice.
    As I said in another forum, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. :cool:

18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Solcroft I think the westerners tend to be more paranoid about privacy rights.

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: This privacy issue definitely has some users upset, including me. But when I sit back and compose my thoughts; don't we in our daily life divulge and pass along more private information to Uncle Sam, financial institutions, employers and the list goes on and on. And do you have a minute not worrying about your privacy been violated by these handlers ? By comparison, This(or these )Eula issue is just a tiny fraction of others combined. Like My mother always says, If you adopt it, do not cast any doubt. If you have any trace of doubt, do not use it by all means. I am using TH now and feeling just good and well. Take care.

20. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Don't forget the A-rabs Lush.

21. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Been testing TF for a while and it's been a fine product. An nice added layer of protection. It always takes a while to bring up the GUI for me for some reason, and I'm not sure if I'll use it in my security setup for good, but it's a fine option.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not me, I could give a rat's *ss about any of that stuff.... ;)

23. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

A choice ? How is it turned off other then an uninstall ?

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

With the click of a mouse. :D

Attached Files:

25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

A Side note.
    If Community Protection is turned off, in the free version, it also shuts off auto updates.
    At that point it would have to be checked manually.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.