Emsisoft's new Mamutu pre-beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shaddi, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaddi

shaddi Registered Member

Dear WSF readers,

as first international forum we want to offer you a pre-beta version of our new product Mamutu for testing reasons. Mamutu is a standalone behaviour blocker, the name comes from "malware" + "mutu", where the latter means "stop".

You can find the setup here: http://download1.emsisoft.com/mamutusetup.exe (2,8MB)
    Old accounts from any a-squared product can and should be used.

Feedback is welcome :cool:

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

:eek: OK here's genuine feedback without even installing this PRE-Beta build.

No offence ment but soliciting alpha testers in open forum like WTF?

Its one thing for Beta/RC but another for something you need to get inhouse debugged before you let community members act as *lab rats* by installing it with the usual discalimers attached.

Roll it out after its out of alpha test phase and stop trying to play catchup with other simmilar recent entry tools released:thumb:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I agree with the above poster, get it inhouse debugged first, and then I will test this ubun...mamutu thing :)

/C.

4. shaddi

shaddi Registered Member

We would not post it here if we needed laboratory rats :)

The version itself is stable in our eyes, there are some other things we need to finish before releasing it as public beta (what will happen probably within the next days). Installing it sooner or later or not installing it at all is of course up to you :D

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

More info about this toy would be appreciated.
    I don't like the 30-day trial when testing.

Gerard

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

cheers ill give it a whirl 6month free for testers lol Nice GUI thou :D

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

If you believe it is so stable then why not offer this on your own web site ? (unless i'm missing something)
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

30 day beta......Think i'll pass.....

8. fcukdat

So if thats the case why not come back in a weeks time with news of Beta/RC release.

No matter how much your smiling you are soliciting testers for your alpha version.

So look forward to seeing a public Beta but use your employees computers as wider test bases or are they clever enough not to do that outside the lab;)

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

C´mon, there have been other alpha software offered for testing purposes at this forum without this kind of reception :blink:
    So why the "hostility" now? Especially if you havent tried the software o_O
    I think that the majority of the members here are mature enough to decide themselves if they want to help the developers by testing alpha software. No one forces anyone to install it. Personally I hang around here to find out the latest in security.
    And Shaddi stated that it was a "pre-beta"

10. shaddi

shaddi Registered Member

Of course I will drop you a line when it becomes public beta. This posting is meant as a privilege to the Wilders community to be one of the first at all testing Mamutu. If you do not see it like that it is okay but please let others who are curious enough just test it.

We can not remove the 30 trial issue as we of course need to test that one, too. The time period until the final release will probably be less than 30 days. Anyways, if your license expires during testing just send me a private message and I will extend it. Beta testers giving good feedback will be provided with a full license though.

As I mentioned our internal tests with Mamutu are finished. The only reason why it is not on the page and in public beta yet is, cause we are finishing the product page. Expect this to be done within the next days, possibly even tomorrow. By the way, of course I have the program running myself, to be exact: since some weeks and it works fine.

Maybe just relax and see that the idea really was not to use you as alpha testers. Would be stupid to do that in a forum full of IT security experts, eh? :)

Cheers,
    Thomas

PS: And yes, I like to smile as it is a symbol for friendlyness ;)

11. fcukdat

Actually if i had read a simmilar solicitation/invite from any other software vendor my responce would be the same.My hostility is based apon principal and past **** ups by companies offering buggy alpha software(Lavasoft years ago:thumbd: causing widespread problems by pushing out software that had not even gone to Beta sticks in the mind).

FWIW i'm sure Emisoft have healthy following of beta testers to call apon etc so why prematurely widen the test field afterall who is doing who the service at this point;)

As always the standard disclaimer kicks in *install at your own risk* and that makes everything ok dose'nt it:rolleyes:

But you are absolutely correct folks can decide for themselve's but with reguards alpha testing it should be kept in within closed arena's to protect the curious etc

12. fcukdat

Ok Thomas.

In all sincerity i wish you and all your user's the best from the product.At the end of the day ultimetly it all boils down to helping defends folks computers/data etc

Just to reiterate IMO maybe a beta launch next weekend might have been more wiser but like we have to acknowledge its a very competitive market for brand and product.

I should not be surprised about the rushed rollout since some competitors already have high profile software already released to the mainstream security community gaining coverage/market share etc:

Anyhow wishing Emisoft every sucess:thumb:

13. Inzider

Inzider Registered Member

Jesus, why don't you just read what he wrote instead of writing your biography? It looks too much like you really need attention. Whatever, gonna download now.

14. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

I was puzzled as well, until I remembered that fcukdat is now associated with a "competitor"...

15. fcukdat

Not a competitor for HIBS/Behavioural software which this software is:thumb:

I'm all associated with several data pooling/malware research groups that serve a very wide range of vendors inc Emisoft are beneficiaries of but then that means nothing now dose ito_O

16. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Well isn't it supposed to be a cutting edge malware tool using new technologies or something? Sure looks like a competitor to me...

A red herring there... I'm not saying that you are targetting Emisoft or any other anti-malware specifically.... But rather you are targetting *all* of them...which you confirmed by saying you would say the same thing no matter who the vendor.... And i fully believe you.

but the question here is about consistency of behavior... You are not a newcomer to Wilders, and such offers as pointed out by another poster is not unusual, so why this reaction only now??

The only thing that springs to mind is this change in status... Not that I'm saying this action is deliberate... but biases often aren't conscious... Where in the past you would see no problem, now you take offense.... (Not that I'm saying it's not reasonable to question this...it's just the change in reaction that makes me curious)

Well I know you are proud of your work with that malware hunting thing, which of course incidentally earned you a place in the big leagues and opened other opportunties..........

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I am game. Downloaded and installed. It seems it provides very extensive coverage. I like it.:thumb:

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

A few screenshots
    Mamutu.JPG

Mamutu2.JPG

Mamutu3.JPG

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

What is it regarding A2 AM? Is it the BB from A2 AM, or something better?
    What's the difference?

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I´ll add this shot of the settings. It looks interresting.

Attached Files:

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, just like A2 AntiMalware. So my question stands.

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Screenshots look interesting.Thanks for posting them.
    I'm gonna try it.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Struck me as very similar to Prevx2. My VM machine hung on reboot. Tried several times, and gave up.

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I can say one thing so far - the name sounds really unappealing.
    Something like a hybrid mammoth ... not really softwareish.
    Mrk

25. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I tried a few leaktests and it passed about half. I tried XP-killer and prueba and it slept like a baby. :thumbd: Nice interface though. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.