NOD32 AV 3.0 RC1: I don't like this version, fewer features, infos, but more RAM usag

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by iNsuRRecTioN, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi there,

I don't like the new NOD32 AV 3.0.

I thought in the RC1 version everything should be implemented and fine, but it seems not that good like NOD32 AV 2.7..! :ouch:

There are no major new features in Version 3.0, I don't see them..

There are fewer information in the GUI, seems like fewer features, complicated setup, strange..

The RAM usage, computer resource utilization is heavier than in Version 2.7, but where are the real benefits form Version 2.7 to Version 3.0??! :isay:

Still no ability to create an emergency bootable CD/DVD which you can use in special situations..

Even Kaspersky did implement this in KAV/KIS 6.0 and later..! :cautious:

I think I will go back to version 2.7, until something changes..

The protection in version 2.7 seems the same as in 3.0, but in the previous version, you will get lighter system resource usage, familar interface and settings, no big new shini GUI..

Your claimed lowest resource utilization is no longer true..:
    http://www.eset.eu/products/compare-antivirus-products

In this graphics you can see, how good NOD32 in low system resource utilization it was in the past..:
    http://www.eset.eu/buxus/images/scheme/en_ram_footprint.gif

Now, in Version 3.0, it is head-to-head at the same level as McAfee and Trend Micro and even worse than Kaspersky, Sophos and Symantec.. :thumbd:

All this at no real additional benefit compared to Version 2.7 of NOD32 AV.

At this stage, upgrading NOD32 AV 2.7 to Version 3.0 is NOT worthwhile. :isay: :doubt:

After more than two years of development and more and more displacements again and again, after announcements more delays and delays, I really have expected much more from Eset and NOD32 AV 3.0..! :rolleyes: :isay:

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , the current version has its own pluses and minuses , yes , there are pluses , there are minuses , too , I am sure they will admit .

It is true that it is heavier than v2.7 but it is still not so heavy , I think .

Also , it is not necessary to take such a general decision because this is not a final version . I am sure that in the final-release or some time after the final release they will make the scanner faster and lighter (as much as possible) . I also don't like some things in the current version but I remind myself - this is not final version...

Just an advice : Test again when final comes out :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2007
  3. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I have 26 MB RAM usage - I don't call that heavy. The old 2.7 GUI also had several 'issues', which have now gone away. It's doing it's job and doesn't interfere - what more can you ask? Give me a price and I'll buy it now.

4. theN0D3

theN0D3 Registered Member

Re: NOD32 AV 3.0 RC1: I don't like this version, fewer features, infos, but more RAM

Contrary to you not liking RC1, I dont know where you been living, ESS>KIS7, its lightweight, much more efficient (kis7 av engine is crazy heavy, makes my OS grunty), the aesthetics are much better too, and I have NO problems whatsoever, I tested the firewall, great also, this much good things give alot of hope for future of this product.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Re: NOD32 AV 3.0 RC1: I don't like this version, fewer features, infos, but more RAM

Further to insurrections post ,(and to satisfy my own curiosity) apart from the gui ,is there any major difference in the engine ,or detection that will make 3 a better choice than 2.7? (im talking about the AV...not the security suite)
    tia
    ellison

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Detection ability should be the same , cleaning should be much improved :thumb:

7. ellison64

Thanks for the information...i thought there had to be more to it than a pretty GUI ;)
    ellison

8. ugly

ugly Registered Member

informationo_O ...without any arguments or proof it's more like a guess...or wish...

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I think I have seen it somewhere , I may well be wrong.
    Cleaning is improved in a way that it is much more automatic .

Also:

• Scanning on background saves system resources
    • Smaller update size - faster updates on slow connections
    and many other (from http://www.eset.eu/sk/eset-smart-security-public-beta-1)

10. Maxkaos

Maxkaos Registered Member

/quote

2.7 > 3.0 RC1

11. iNsuRRecTioN

Hi there,

@HiTech_boy sorry to dissappoint you, I'm dissappointed, too, but RC1 means final code and features, with only minor fixes until the RTM version=final one.

We can't expect more features, etc. in the final release of NOD32 AV 3.0. :thumbd: :doubt:

The RAM usage increase is much for NOD32/Eset.

NOD32 2.7 utilizes 15-22 MB of RAM for the kernel service and 1-4 MB for the GUI.

NOD32 3.0 RC1 utilizes 28-30 MB of RAM for the kernel service (ekrn.exe) and 1-6 MB for the GUI (egui.exe).

This is on german Windows 2000 Pro SP4 UR1 with latest fixes and IE 6.0 SP1.

And in the installation directory, there are unnecessary files, like dll, etc. for the Firewall driver/module, etc., which the AV version 3.0 don't need, because it's not a suite..!

In NOD32 2.7 I see the last scanned file with AMON on the status tab and the last scanned downloaded file with IMON on the status tab for IMON, but in Version 3.0 of NOD32 I don't see these information, which is really bad and thus less informative than Version 2.7..!

I don't need for NOD32 3.0 this "shiny new" GUI, if I get no real benefit from it/out of it.

No new infos/more details, instead I get less details and infos, not good.

Wrong direction, Eset! :cautious: :isay:

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

12. superphysics

superphysics Registered Member

Well, at least I can prove you wrong on at least one point you raised: the memory usage. I have a total usage of under 15MB for ESS RC1. I'm running Vista UE 32bit, and here's a screenshot: Eset low usage proof.jpg

Though I agree that the new interface is a tad less informative. Your suggestion in that regard is most valid and one can expect Eset to consider it.

The cleaning is better. I had an infected file that 2.7 couldn't clean. ESS RC1 did.

ESS is by far the best at the moment, despite its shortcomings. A good bit better than it's contemporaries :)

Regards, superphysics

13. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

As you can see from this :

ekrn.jpg

My memory usage is only 25MB for ESS RC1 (2MB for the gui!) and as I have 4GB total memory I think I can live with that. Remember also that this is not a finished product, you are not paying for it yet so stop whining about it until you are actually asked to part with your hard earned cash.

14. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

One of your interests is Betatests... Please PLEASE tell me you understand what beta is and that a product in beta won't be fully stable and operational until it's final...??

EAV is an RC, yes, but it's still a beta product. We may even see a RC2 yet, which means more bugs will be fixed and the next RC may contain performance enhancements. You're complaining about something that isn't even finished yet.

15. ugly

ugly Registered Member

What else when beta testing something ? o_O
    It's the only way you can help product development. ;)
    IMO those who are just saying "great","very good" ,:thumb: ,...etc , are useless for this purpose.

16. ellison64

Personally i don't really care if an app uses a few meg of ram more than another app or a previous version as long as its stable and works well ,and i cant really understand why folks with a decent amount of ram (i only have 392) ,are really that bothered ,but i guess each to his own.If the engine has been updated for detection or cleaning then i guess its a good thing.I do agree with insurrection ,though that somethings such as the last file scanned not showing is a backward step.Other than that the settings are all there ,but they are just harder to find.I think im right in saying that nod has been criticized in the past for the gui being too complicated with too many options ,so i guess thats why eset have taken this direction.However for the sad guys like myself (and others) who watch avs scanning files (and defrags ;) ) it is sorely missed.
    ellison

17. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I hate this kind of whining. If people like Insurrection have got so much (nothing with any real substance) to 'whine' about, I'd really like to suggest they take a hike and go buy a bloated piece of software like KAV. I'm sure he'd be happy with 'all the features'. Just go check out the Kaspers*y forums and see how much users have to 'whine about' there.

NOD32, shiny new GUI and all, is still the AV I trust and I for one am more than happy to remain a customer. I have tested ALL the competitive products and I have always ended up back here using the AV Betas by preference!! I am, by the way, a 2.7 user for many years. I can understand the old 'GUI fan club' to a degree, but there were issues with it as Eset tech support know - the new version deals with those problems, on demand scanning is faster (and faster than the competition in my experience), and best of all...it DOESN'T INTERFERE!!!! It it is one of the few genuine 'set it and forget it' AV's. So much so, that I have to go play with it sometimes (...should I rephrase...!) just to check it's still there... ;)

P.S Eset, I hope it's OK to use the 'eye' as my avatar. If not, PM me and I'll change it back... :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  18. ugly

ugly Registered Member

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

20. iNsuRRecTioN

Hey,

what issues, details?

I will not buy it..And I'm already a 3 year long customer of Eset NOD32 AV.
    There is no reason to "upgrade" from 2.7 to 3.0, no new killer features, nothing major, which would justify a new major version..! :ouch: :thumbd:

Even from 2.5 to 2.7 there are more new features and improvements to NOD32 AV engine..! :isay: :cautious:

I really have expected much more from the new much awaited 3.0 release..
    I'm dissappointed from Eset and from NOD32 AV 3.0 so far..

Ha, lol.

Read again and then carefully..!

The comparison with KAV vs NOD32 is based on Eset's very own analyses and chart, which I linked here in my thread!

I repeated only what Eset shows and says on their very own webpage and comparison..! :cautious: :p

This is the AV, not ESS, not the suite, so no firewall here..!

And you have to compare KAV and NOD32 AV not, KIS and NOD32 or KIS and ESS, because this topic here is about AntiVirus, not suite.. :isay:

Ok, this could be true, but cleaning is not that important, at least for me.

Every advanced user and pro should know, that if the system is compromised (e.g. with maleware) you don't know what all is changed and silently downloaded and added in background..
    So you should format and do a clean install/setup.. ;)
    Even MS have a documentation about this online on their webpages..

Very important and the first should be protection, blocking of maleware which want to infect a system.

I mainly use NOD32 for another layer of protection against maleware which would download/install silently without my notice, without an AV..

So the AV engine should be improved and new features should be implemented in detection and prevention.

I know in some cases cleaning could be useful..

Wrong, that is false.

You can nothing prove, because it's 1. ESS, 2. you using Vista and 3. this is your system, you cannot speak for my system and Windows 2000.

You cannot prove something on your system and say that's on all systems the same and on mine, too.

But you're happy, 15 MB of RAM usage is what I want..! :D ;)
    Kernel + GUI process should not use/utilize more than 15 MB of RAM resources..

Too bad, it's not on my system and NOT on Windows 2000 Pro SP4 UR1 + IE 6.0 SP1 + fixes. :isay: :doubt:

Whether or not ESS is by far the best, is not really clear, because firewallleaktester.com and http://www.matousec.com haven't done Leak and self-protection test until now..! ;) :p

Eset and ESS must first prove that the firewall and suite is better than Jetico Personal Firewall 2 and Comdo Personal Firewall Pro 2.x and upcoming 3.x :shifty:

Ok, that's 27 MB for ESS..
    That is much!

20 MB for ESS would be ok.
    15 MB for NOD32 AV 3.0 would be ok.

Your system memory is 4 GB, mine is 512 MB.

But that's not the point. Even if I would have 4 GB of total RAM, I would complain, because it's about efficiency programming, coding, system resource usage and the trick to utilize the smallest possible resources and system RAM..!

I want carefully coded and heavy optimized apps, not bloating ones..( I don't say NOD32 3.0 is already bloat, but it's on the way to become...)

Eset NOD32 AV 3.0 is now in RC1, so it's not completely done, but really near to finished/final release code.
    So I'm complaining now and not later if the final is already released, because Eset can still optimize and change it until RTM and see in this topic, that the work is NOT done yet..!

Boy, you're totally wrong here, that's false.

RC isn't beta.

You better should inform you, before you post here.
    Read wikipedia or whatever..

RC=candidate supposed for final release, it's an proposal with near final code.
    Beta=stage of development with all features should be implemented (beta 2 and 3).
    alpha=pre-version with some features, but not all implemented, a first look, a first test.

Feedback, whether good or bad and this includes complaining is necessary to create a good final code version of NOD32 AV 3.0 (and all other software products in Beta-Testing..).
    That's the nature of beta-testing, please better inform you..! o_O :cautious:

As you can see, I already answered this here in my post.
    I'm bothered because I only want the best on my pc, not crap, not bloat, etc.
    If I would not care about this, every single app could use 50 MB of RAM and with more and more apps doing this, because every coder/author/company says, why optimize, why reduce this, why drim it down, there are enough RAM out there.., you would get a sluggish and bloated system..

Even some day with 4 GB of local RAM!

So it really doesn't matter whether or not someone have few MB of RAM or much, RAM is a rar resource and the fewer an tool/app using/utilizing, the better and more efficient coded is it..!

If you hate this, you should better keep away from this thread.
    This is my topic and this is not whining, it's complaining, Eset need criticism in beta-testing, in order to optimize and produce great final code of their product..!

If you don't understand this, post in another thread, but don't bother here..! :mad:

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

We all know what RC generally means . Yes , this is RC (almost all futures are developed and one can gain some info about what creature ESS/EA will be . But ! you say it yourself - near final doesn't make it final . No matter the fact that generally RC is considered "small" bugs only , this doesn't exclude the option of finding a bigger one . I am not complaining because one should see ESET and how they act in long lasting period and then comment . RC doesn't mean developement is over !

Please , for further ... ... ... complaints wait for the final version <= this is what I recommend all my clients and friends who have tried EA/ESS . Why not?! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Final doesn't mean that the developement is over :D

Quite the contrary, the final version is just the beginning of a long road.

23. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Hopefully not a bumpy road :D

24. ellison64

I would agree that 50 meg is a lot (i guess you dont use firefox then?) However 30 meg (ekrn and gui on my system))for a good av isnt that bad IMO.We already know that the rc1 isnt quite right on w2000 (which i use to) ,so i guess we,ll have to wait for release.Perhaps its because i recently "upgraded" from w98se where ram used to hit zero every session ,that i im not so bothered about ram now im on 2000 as it uses and releases ram much more efficiently ,and even though i have the same amount or ram as i had on 98se (and the same programs running ...more or lesss)it never drops below 160m.So basically i think ive got 160 meg doing nothing now.I personally like simple gui thats informative ,like the old antivir 6 or dr web,and i must admit i find this new gui hard to get used to and basically plain ,and non informative.If the plain simple gui is what eset wanted then i think it may have been better to at least use some pleasing visuals in the right hand pane.At the moment not only is it non informative ,but it doesnt really make a statement visually ....for me anyway.Version 2.7 did because there was no other av that looked liked that....plus it was more informative.
    ellison

25. Degine

Degine Registered Member

I see a lot of people mentioning the new GUI as not being worth the upgrade. For people that are not that into computers and software NOD32 2.7 was a bit hard to use. I know it's a good product for me, I like to spend some time testing software and tuning my pc to it's optimum.

But for my father for example it's not, it's to confusing. His subscription with McAfee had ended and I advised him to switch over to NOD32 because it wouldn't hurt his PC's performance as much and would scan faster/better. I installed the trial version for him, but he had a hard time to just preform a system scan, let alone to optimize the settings. So he didn't like it and I gave him a trial of KIS.

Among the Emon, Amon, Dmon, Imon and NOD32 in the list can be confusing to try and find a "scan button". Even then it's called "Start NOD32" as if it wasn't running. :blink:

With the new NOD32/ESS you have a nice clean interface displaying the status on the welcome screen and a clear "Computer Scan" button on the left. Even if you would run a "Custom scan" it's easy to set up. Though I have to admit I haven't seen the UI when a virus was found, we never have any it seems. :D

I now have installed ESS RC1 on his PC and he likes it (mostly because about 400% faster in scanning the entire pc.) :rolleyes:

As for it taking up more RAM, well my father isn't bothered by his old pc running a little bit slower; he doesn't even notice. It isn't the fastest pc anyway. And I myself got 2GB anyway and am using Firefox most of the time which takes about twice as much as ESS (65mb vs 32mb for a security suite). AND if probably if you combine NOD32 2.7 with another 3rd party firewall you'll most likely end up using more resources anyway.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.