ESS RC1 On Demand Scan issue

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by darthsideous666, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

The on demand scan seems to be hanging again! It will scan 16% and then hang. I am running Windows XP Home. I know this was an issue in the earlier BETA that seemed to be corrected. Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

Depending on how you configured the profile(s) your using for the on-demand scan, it could take alot longer compared to the current v2.7.39 (due to, hopefully, more advanced/powerful scanning engine). The usual settings that can affect scanning speeds are Advanced Heuristics, Potentially unwanted/unsafe apps, Archives, Self-extracting archives, and Runtime packers.

Ofcourse it would be helpful if you provide some details, such as: seems to hang could be more specific as the gui is non-responsive/not refreshing or the gui is, only the percent done is the same; used the task manager/process explorer (from sysinternals. very useful :thumb:) to check its processor usage as hint on whether its actually doing anything or not; you've waited X number of minutes/hours before you gave up and cancelled the scan; tried scanning files/folders of images and compared it to scanning files/folders of executables.

Regards.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It could be an email file that is modified with every email received. That would explain why the glitch occurs intermittently. The best would be to enable listing of all files so that you can see what folder the scan stalls on.

4. matthewfarmery

matthewfarmery Registered Member

Advanced Heuristics is causing me problems when scanning EzGenerator2 directory, mainly when scanning the projects folders, without Advanced Heuristics enabled, scanning is fine, projects folder itself contains a lot of files, some zips, gifs, and a few other file types, I have tried to allow it as much time as possible scanning that directory, but nod32 logs don't update after scanning the main program exe, a very annoying problem indeed

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

Just in case you haven't thought of an efficient solution for performing a (gui-based) on-demand scan (as opposed to context-menu-base on-demand scan, which doesn't seem to be configurable), here's a tip: create a profile, say My Profile A, configure it to maximum effectiveness (all Objects and Options are checked) and check all the drives/folders you want to scan except the folder containing the problem file(s) in the Scan targets; create a second profile, say My Profile B, for the sole purpose of scanning the folder containing the problem file(s) by unchecking the Advanced Heuristics. So when you want to scan your computer for integrity, just do an on-demand scan using both profiles (any of the two can ran first).

Regards

6. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

The files in question were previous false positives detected by SUPERAntiSpyware and are listed in quarantine. When ESET scans them, they say either, "error-password protected" or "bad archive". The scan was then hanging at 16%. The issue is no more and now seems to be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.