Downgrade from Vista to XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pandlouk, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The following info is found at http://download.microsoft.com/downl...9d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Interesting. I imagine this is why you only see XP Professional as an option in Dell computers under the "Small Business" section only.

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Interesting.
    I was going to start a thread querying about this.
    "Microsoft changed its practices to allow computer makers that sell pre-activated Vista machines to order Windows XP discs that could be included inside the box with PCs, or shipped to customers without requiring additional activation."
    Sounds good, but I wonder how obliging most puter mfr.s are/will be.
    "End users can use the following media for their downgrade: ....retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License)."
    Am I to understand that XP downgrade is included in every mfr.s system/recovery discs?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, only with certain versions of Vista, primarily the mid to upper end.

Pete

6. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Yes, I understand that it only applies to Vista Business.
    But (assuming Vista Business) I'm curious as to:
    Am I to understand that XP downgrade is included in every mfr.s system/recovery discs?

I'm putting off buying a new machine because most now ship w/ Vista by default. :(

7. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Put it off til MS comes out with Windows 7.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm definitely one to go against the grain, and especially now the way $M carelessly abandoned it's earlier 98/Me users in the past.

I will NOT be using Vista, because on my XP Pro, i already have Vista EVERYTHING (nearly enough).

I'm holding out for VIENNA, (maybe).

9. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Veri interesting info.. Thanks pandlouk!

10. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

When I purchased my new machine from a custom shop 3 months ago,
    they asked me whether I wanted it to be Vista or XP. I said XP, & the
    tech said their orders for custom machines were running twenty to
    one in favor of XP.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Kind of ridiculous situation, caused by M$. A new OS is supposed to be better and one should upgrade to it.
    Now you can downgrade from winVISTA to winXPpro, which proves that WinVISTA isn't really welcome amongst users.

M$ better goes back to BASICS :
    - ditch all the gadgetry in Windows
    - ditch all the mediocre applications
    - make a secure Windows that recovers and repairs itself immediately or at least on reboot.
    - let 3th party companies make the applications
    - let the user choose between two CD's : a pure Windows CD or a Windows CD with 3th party applications for the less-knowledgeable users

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats EXACTLY what i been beating a dead horse over for many months :isay:

Looks like $M in their reckless haste has finally hit the proverbial stone wall that many just like us have been trying to warn against but always fell on deaf ears.

The only way left for them now is to make up for this vista debacle by taking the classic M$ routine approach and shortly begin announcement of an even newer but better O/S.

ROFL!! ROFL!! ROFL!! :D

They been too farsighted for so long we can't possibly expect them to ever take anything but the most Logical approach. ROFL!

Earth to $M, do you hear the horns of reason blowing yet? :D
    ANSWER:= no, but they have no choice after they read all the sparkling raving reviews.

13. Tony

Tony Registered Member

After trying Vista for the third time i have given up.

The first two times it took over my XP partition (although the first time it was my own carelessness that caused the problem)
    Both times windows explorer was continually crashing so i decided to leave it for a few months to see if any updates would fix the problem.

For the first 2 days all seemed fine, then for some reason explorer started crashing again, and from reading various topics i was not alone as there were hundreds of topics with the vast majority seemingly unable to fix them.

I went back to my clean install image, and all was well for a couple of hours until explorer started crashing again, this was without installing anything apart from vista`s critical updates.

My son absolutely hated using it and begged me to go back to either xp or pclinux so here i am again and i will give it another 6 to 12 months (maybe, maybe not) before trying vista again.

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Microsoft should just outsource their OS planning, development and marketing to Apple. ;)
    </sarcasm>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.