Smart Security hangs on startup/XP SP2

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by gregc, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregc

gregc Registered Member

I've got an XP SP2 notebook that is running fine. I DO have a bunch of applications and services on it.

I installed smart security/latest beta as of 9/15/07 and now the notebook is useless with it.

When I start the PC it comes up OK to my desktop, then hangs within 1-2 minutes. No mouse, no keyboard, no network activity, no nothin.' I need to hard-reset the computer to get it to respond again.

I don't see any events in the system or application logs.

I'm running eset smart 3.0.290.0 db 2535

No other security/AV/Firewall/etc
    I am running VMWare host services
    I have an Intel 3945AG built-in wireless.

I'll be happy to help provide whatever troubleshooting info is needed. I'm thrilled with nod32 enterprise, I'd really like to have smart security as a workable solution too.

TIA,

Greg C

2. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

3. gregc

gregc Registered Member

I saw that thread....that's for a "brief" hang at startup, 2-3 minutes, isn't it?
    I let it sit for 20-30 minutes and there's still no response from mouse/keyboard/display/network.

If it's the same issue I'll follow the other thread.

Thanks,

GC

4. tosbsas

its, ok

Ruben

5. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I had the same problem. A clean reinstall helped. So uninstall ESS. Manually clean all the ESET folders you can find. Reinstall ESS.

This helped for me

6. gregc

gregc Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions...I uninstalled eset, manually removed all the ESET reg entries, and all is well.

My gut tells me the problem was related to one of the ESET Miniport drivers conflicting with either a VMWare or Intel wireless driver.

BTW, the uninstallation was a pain, I'd like see better cleanup of the eset miniports during the uninstall. My system was unable to connect to anything until I erased them.

-Greg C

7. tosbsas

I think you got lucky, cause I did uninstall and install back and forth- and it didn't help.

Its definitly a miniport thing, and intel wireless + eset might be one area

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.