Elderly parents Windows 98se OS suggestions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I know they're similar threads. Searched & no soap.

Going to visit parents in a couple weeks. They're very elderly. Very ordinary computer usage on 56k dialup. They're across country from me. This is a 1 shot deal. Have to keep it simple. OS is 98se. Don't want rock their world.

Just want to clean up the computer a bit. Looking for freeware only.

Only complaint is unable to forward emails. I'm 99% certain this is just the inability (lack of understanding) to use the email client. I'll sort that.

So basically I just want to scan, defrag the registry & HDD. Take a look around. Last time I did this they had Win95, no AV, no FW, no protection whatsoever. And after scanning no virii, no spyware & only a couple minor adware (cookies, data miners). I'm not going to install anything resident.

So I'm asking for K.I.S. (keep it simple) suggestions. I figure Spybot SD, AAW. But anyways need a couple 98se freeware suggestions. Thanks

2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

By simple, do you mean as little input from the user (your parents) as possible or easy for you to set up in a short time?
    If you can persuade them to use an alternate browser, it'll help a 98 box a lot. Sea Monkey runs very well on a 98 box. The browser is similar to FireFox and about the same in regards to security. It's easier on system resources than IE6. The mail handler is more secure than OE and just as easy to use. Might be easier for them than using separate apps for web and e-mail.

If they're not the sort to install new apps, you could use poledit from the install CD to whitelist the necessary apps and system processes, eliminating the need for most anti-spyware apps. Installers and a lot of malware won't be able to run.

On GRC's Shields-Up scanner, there's a link named Network Bondage. The instructions there will close the normally open file sharing ports. If there's no apps listening for incoming traffic, 98 boxes will show all ports closed after following those steps. Highly recommended if you aren't installing a firewall.

You might consider one of these 2 as well. Install Eraser and set up its built in task scheduler to wipe the temp files, cache, and other temp locations on a regular basis, eliminating the file buildup that slow the older systems more than the new ones. You could also write a batch file that does the same and launch it via autoexec.bat using the "Call" command. With a regular cleaning regimen, 98 boxes slow down very little.

At MDGX, on the essentials page, about halfway down, you'll find 98 SE SP2: Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2) 2.1a This is a collection of both official and unofficial updates for 98SE and will get it as up to date as possible. It's more complete than anything Microsoft has released for 98SE.

Rick

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

CCleaner for cleaning, Diskeeper Lite for defrag, and SUPERAntiSpyware instead of Spybot S&D/Ad-Aware.

Two other alternate browsers you could try are K-Meleon or Opera.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks. So if I install Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2) 2.1a. It won't bork it? I mean the "a" in 2.1a doesn't stand for alpha release? I won't install an alpha or beta or rc release on my folks puter.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

No the "a" doesnt mean alpha. Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 works very well.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So far I've got:

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2 (SP2) 2.1a
    AAWse1.06
    SpybotSD1.515
    7zip 4.42
    FoxitReader 2.1
    Opera 9.23
    RegCleaner 4.3780

I still need a defrager & I won't use diskeeper lite.
    All the 7 programs I've got, I might not use. Want to be prepared.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Spywareblaster may be an idea, although I don't think it is needed for opera if you end up installing that.

8. Basic

Basic Registered Member

for a defragger i would recommend the winme defrag if you can find it. i have used it for years on my 98se system.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I added McAffee Avert Stinger.

10. Basic

Basic Registered Member

oh, and another vote for the unofficial win 98 service pack i have used it since it's early days and it has yet to hose my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.