Recommand me a suite or seperate software pls....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kaikiattan, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaikiattan

kaikiattan Registered Member

firstly, i am new to this forum!!!woohoo........
    ok, now my experience. i'hv tried these antivirus and suites :
    kaspersky AV and KIS, zonealarm pro and zonealarm suite, NIS 2003 (long ago...lol...)

anti-spyware software:
    spyware doctor, lavasoft ad-aware , spybot

KAV and KIS are nice antivirus softwares. done a great job in detecting virus. zonealarm, superb firewall. I used NIS 2003 long time ago and at that time, i found this software very good. but now, i face some problem! when i install KAV and zonealarm together, zonealarm seems like not functioning....the privacy advisor did not come out...that makes me think its not functioning. suspected KAV is doing all the firewall job...anybody encounter thiso_O

and when i install zonealarm suite ONLY, i think the integrated antivirus is not good. because it won jump out alert when i insert a pen drive with virus into my pc...:( ...

As for anti-spyware software, i think the rank shud be :
    1. spyware doctor
    2. lavasoft ad-aware
    3. spybot
    but, spyware doctor makes the system LAGS LIKE ****!!!:mad: ...and lavasoft i dun think it is good enough...

Kaspersky has powerful antivirus , zonealarm has powerful firewall and spyware doctor is a great anti-spyware program. therefore, i install 3 of them on my pc. WOOT!!a newly-formatted windows takes a lot of time to startup, loading these security softwares, opening folders and shutdown!!in another word, these 3 softwares make my pc lag.

saw a lot of reviews saying that KIS , NIS and zonealarm suites are good. which 1 is the best?or should i install my security softwares seperately?

and 1 more question here. is there any spyware scanner out there which does not offer any realtime protection? (only scan for spyware)

2. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

My answer is 'it depends'. It depends on what your risk is, what OS you use, your machine specs etc. There are many good products out there and you have mentioned a few.

Do you have the skill or can you be nothered to work with software that requies a lot of interaction as some firewalls and HIPs do/ If not a simple suite or seperate programs is needed and again it has to be your choice.

You could make a list and work through them to find which runs best on your machine and your preference for layout etc:

KIS, Bitdefender, ESET, Norton, McaFee etc.

Good luck and have fun testing.

Regards.

3. kaikiattan

wah brother......fun testingo_Oi dun think so wor.....cos everytime i install a suite or an AV, its so hard 2 have a clean uninstallation....there wil be some registry or some keys left...when another AV is installed, they clashed...the system wil be lagger.....so everytime change AV must format pc too wor...isn't it like this??

4. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

You could really use Ghost or another prog that will make a image of your system with clean install. Then you can try out diff softwares and just run image back to clean and try another. Saves a great deal of time.

5. kaikiattan

ok...thx....i wil learn to ghost....

and wats the best AV and antispyware (AS) u all think??
    if got firewall installed, izzit best 2 have ur real protection or any other protection on AV or AS to be disabled?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

suite:

norton
    f-secure
    avg internet security

stand-a-lone:

drweb
    bitdefender
    f-secure
    nod32
    avg anti-malware

i wouldnt recommend something i dont use myself or wouldnt, so thats my list for ya, they all supply trials as far as im aware.

purchase rollbackrx, its not on the 'cheap side' but its a life saver and much better than ghost, can take your machine back to its original state, in just a reboot, no waiting time. It differs from fd-isr in the fact that its easier to use in my opinion, and takes very little HD Space in comparsion (12gb vs 300mb)

oh, and welcome to wilders. :)

7. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

KIS 7... highly recommended

8. fax

fax Registered Member

Have you tried the latest ZASS beta? If not, give it a spin.
    Pretty stable, reduced memory footprint, new SDK KAV AV engine and been a beta you can use for 60 days ;)

www.zonealarm.com/beta

Cheers,
    Fax

9. kaikiattan

tried.....i think the AV scanner is quite ****.....cos when i inserted a pen drive wif virus, it won gives any alert or any message...o_O

10. kaikiattan

tried too.....does not come with spyware scanner right? any recommendation of spyware scanner without real time protection?

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Thats very strange, "on access" scanning is always ON regardless the driver...
    AV scanner is just the same as KAV 6.... same engine. Now main kernel drivers been updated to KAV 7.

PM me with details so I can try myself, just curious ;)

EDIT: Just tried with a autorun malware in the pendrive and it was instantly blocked. May be AV was not updated? Or the virus was unknown when loaded (it can happen, no AV has 100% detection not even kaspersky :) )

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  12. fax

fax Registered Member

KIS comes with antispyware scanner real time, but you can disable it, if you want.
    A spyware scanner without realtime protection? Superantispyware free...

Cheers,
    Fax

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

spyware scanners offer no extra protection than what are in the av products.

sure, there will be some that disagree but i dont care... thats what i think.

its just extra-clutter for the machine.

14. fax

fax Registered Member

:thumb: +1 (with a good AV)

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware,A-Squared,AVG-AntiSpyware are three.

16. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It's a pitty this isn't a Vista version

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I would certainly try Online Armor Security Suite as well.

Gerard

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Not wanting to break your balls but last time i tested drweb with spyware it didnt do a good job cleaning up as i dont expect too many avs will do any better.

19. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

My advice

suits, avira or bitdefender

standalone av avira or bitdefender

seperate products drweb with superantispyware

besides drweb there is fprot,nod32,vba32

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Those that make that sort of claim do not clean malware from infected pc's on a regular basis. :doubt: SAS alone has caught copious amounts of malware that KIS/Antivir/NOD32/Norton has failed to detect and remove from hosed pc's. Not to mention there are posts on the Kaspersky forums recommending that users download SAS for anything that KAV misses.

The last time I checked SAS has virtually zero impact on system performance when you enable real-time protection. In fact the Pro version compliments any AV quite nicely. $20 goes a long way for a lifetime license and some of the best support in the industry. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  21. kaikiattan

looks like many forumers here suggest SAS ya.....guess its a good program...will be giving it a try:)

as for suites, now there are quite many new releases on suites....KIS7 , zonealarm, NIS 2008!!any recommendation? i guess i'll be installing a suite + SAS. should be ok and wil notl lag my pc right?

22. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

Earlier, I was confused same like you, but now on my notebook I have installed KIS and SAS, thats all :) :) :)

23. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I second that. Every test reveals that they are not very efficient. You see many people here who use up to 4 antispyware programs .. it's really wasted effort in my opinion. All they find is some cookies. If there was really something, all of the better AVs should find it.

24. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I never saw a test were antispyware program had good removal rate. I don't know what has been found in your case. Anyway, he does not have an infected system, but he wants to stay clean. Kav / Antivir / Norton will do a good job. Its no secret that Dr Web has not the best detection rates out there, but thats a different topic. Furthermore use Firefox or Opera instead of IE, and you should be perfectly fine. Just my opinion.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nod AV, Sandboxie and all the rest doesnt matter. AVG-AS free for periodic scans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.