Office 2007 Compatible?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by TonyDownUnder, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Had to cease using NOD32 ver 2.7 because of problems with Word 2007. Other threads indicate people had issues with Outlook 2007.

Blackspear kindly responded to my post and indicated that Office compatibilty would be addressed. Current NOD32 2.7 threads/release notes don't mention Office 2007 compatibilty.

Marco's changes/fixes in the thread concerning the release of both version 2Betas did not mention Office 2007 "fixes" but did mention Outlook Express.

I'm not prepared to waste my time installing either Beta or NOD32 2.7 until I know that it is going to work with Word 2007. Is there any news on this or do I just let my licence run down and pay for another solution?:mad:

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

What kind of problems? Using 2.7 and Office 2007 with no problems here.

3. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I have had problems in the past with 2.7 and Outlook 2003, relating to the 'add-in' causing Outlook to crash. I basically dumped NOD32 at that point (even though I had a paid up licence) and used Avast for a while out of sheer frustration.

I am back with NOD32 AV Beta2, working happily with Outlook 2003 - so far! I don't know whether your issues are related to this in any way (sounded as though they might be), but I've assumed that because the new NOD32 AV is a 'ground up' redevelopment, that any of these old 'incompatibility issues' will have gone away...

Hope that's a confidence boost...:)

4. TonyDownUnder

Thanks for the replies but I feel like I'm doing the same dance.

Earlier posts are here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=176620 ~ 4 June and here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179683 ~ 10 July

I am aware that not all users have the same problem and isn't that often the way. My point is simple ~ it is a known issues as confirmed by Blackspears 2 reponses in those posts namely: "Similar case HERE solution is to disable DMON, and reply on IMON and AMON until ESET release a version compatible with MS Office 2007" and again "I will expand on what I said above; ESET are testing a version which will be fully compatible with Office 2007 and by the time it is released issues such as this will have been addressed."

There was also a suggestion in another post to exlude WFS.exe (which relates to windows Fax which I don't use) in IMON. Maybe my issue relates to Words Macro Protection or its wanting to load a module related to online help. Basically I don't know as I tried every solution to no avail.

All I want to know is whether the KNOWN issues relating to parts of Office 2007 (see above) have been addressed in either NOD32 version 2.7 (as updated), ESS Beta 2 or NOD Antivirus Beta 2.

The answer to that can only come from the developers.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Uh , no known issues as far as I know but as you said , the dancing ... no matter ... :D :D :D

EA and ESS (v3) don't have DMON module to scan specifically documents with Word or Excel 2007 . AFAIK Documets/Sheets are scanned by the real-time file system protection (e.g. AMON in NOD32 v2) so if it was DMON which caused the problems with your machine , now it won't be it .

I can only say that you can try Eset Antivirus beta2 and see yourself :)
    x32 version
    http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta2/ea_nt32_ENU.msi
    v64 version
    http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta2/ea_nt64_ENU.msi

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  6. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Using ESS Beta2 along with Office 2007 and three machines (2 Vista and 1 XP Pro).
    All works fine for me.

Only problem I had at Beat 1(a,b) was Outlook crashed if you closed an email that had been maximised to full screen. Not seen that issue with Beta2.

Happy Dancing :)

7. TonyDownUnder

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

HiTech_boy - the problems did not go away when nothing was running except for Amon - I disabled everything and set AMON back to default.

On that point I take comfort from the post by crummock that with the new Beta all is well. Perhaps what was/is now AMON has changed.

I'm a low maintenance user and have largely had no problems with NOD32 for some time. However I am really getting annoyed with this.

Office 2007 incompatibility was acknowledged to exist for some users otherwise Blackspear would not have posted "...ESET are testing a version which will be fully compatible with Office 2007 and by the time it is released issues such as this will have been addressed..."

Is it really asking too much to be clearly told whether any updates to NOD32 2.7 or either of these Betas have or have not addressed the issue that Eset has acknowledged to exist?

I am tired of being a crash test dummy for Beta software. If I am told that this Beta has addressed the Office issue then I will install it but if not then I won't as I need to use Office 2007 (no choice). I can choose an AV solution that doesn't cause problems and am currently doing so. This sort of narrows down the issue to NOD somewhat I feel

I really do appreciate your comments and know you are trying to assist and I thank you all for that.

However, I will not waste any more of your valuable time or mine on this nonsense when a clear statement from Eset would put the issue to rest.

8. TonyDownUnder

On a further note I came across this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183676

Amongst other things flyrfan111 says: "The Beta engine also appears (to me at least) to not handle Office 2007 xml files correctly as it shows every xml on my system as a ZIP file and reports these internal error messages."

I'll wait for a bit longer or maybe look elsewhere - I really don't know.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Office 2007 stores xml files within zip, here's a proof:

Attached Files:

• zip.png
      zip.png
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  10. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Sorry for confusing you, I did not know xml files are essentially zip files, that was the reason for my "to me at least" comment, see Marcos' post right after yours, it seems xml files are basically zip files.

11. TonyDownUnder

Marcos, I of course accept what you say. So is Beta 2 compatible with Office 2007 or not?

Thank you

12. Najmi

Najmi Registered Member

hi tony what kind of compatibility issue you looking at. i am using beta 2 and it seems its compatible.

13. Raevmi

Raevmi Registered Member

Office 2007 is comaptible with Office 2007. I can confirm.
    Only some little bugs in Outlook 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.