Snake Oil Product claims

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

"Present Anti-Virus software's offer zero protection from new viruses since the signature is unknown. RUDRA offers holistic protection for your computer i.e. from past, current and future viruses, worms, spy ware and other Malicious software's." :p
    "Rudra recommends not using any other antivirus product in the same computer along with Rudra."

Other statements and misinformation can be found on:
    http://www.rudratech.com.my/rudrafaqs.asp

They say more what the product does not use that what it does.
    I have not tried it, but I guess it will always prompt if something can be allowed or not - which may be the reason for their "Intention-based technology". :D

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

It is hard to have any opinion about the software since no one can test it :/

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not sure it would really classify as snake oil. It's just another HIPS, that uses the standard hype to sell. Nothing really new or unusual.

Actually looks like a kinda interesting HIPS product.

Pete

4. Empath

Empath Registered Member

It doesn't appear to offer actions-based user input to any great extent, once it designates a file as malware. The claim throughout seems to be that it removes the process from memory and deletes the file from the system.

Deleting without input from the user may simplify it's use, but I'd be concerned about false positives.

5. Peter2150

Yeah, that tis a bit troublesome. I was going to give it a play, but it isn't yet available. I didn't notice that at first.

Maybe "looks interesting" is a bit premature.:D

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Hm, thats interesting. If it is not yet available, why an user of it asked me to test this great product :? Maybe it was not a real user then...

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Its not launched yet? I heard about it like eons ago! Some Indian company launching their flagship product which effectively replaces all antivirus products and doesn't require daily updates and blah blah blah. I gave it the exact attention it begged for, closed the website and moved on.

8. Peter2150

The evaluation version isn't available. You probably could buy it, but not me without a thorough play.

9. Peter2150

Took a much closer look at website. Hmm. No evaluation downloads either on the distributors or companies website. No link to place an order.

Main site has a link to a forum. The forum describes support, with a link to the rorum. Hmm

Seems to be vaporware.

10. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) I do believe this is "vaporware!" I inquired on this forum about this product in March 2006, as I was intrigued about it, and even at that time their website said that the evaluation version download would be available soon!
    Several of the Wilders forum members were familiar with this type of security approach, and apparently others have asked about it in the long-past! Do a forum search on "rudra" and you'll find the posts.

11. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Oh so with other words it's "just around the corner" :D

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, looks like this should have been posted in the HIPS section, I hope I will be able to take this for a testdrive soon, but so far not a whole lot of HIPS have managed to impress me, especially when it comes to GUI/ease of use. But this rollback feature does sounds kind of cool, so let´s wait. :)

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Oh don't worry. Usually they will release the software some 3 years after they claim to release it :p :D

14. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.