First BitDefender Total Security Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EsoxLucius, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

2. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hello,

Actually I don't mind for a backup solution and registry cleaner, I must be honest I use it from other vendors, so I downloaded BitDefender Internet Security 2008 today and I like it. I still like the options BitDefender is offering to customise and I think that this level of freedom for configureing options isn't presented in the most security suites at the present. What's more important is that the update is running without any problems which I considered as a very important thing for a security suite.

I have read some bad things about this suite while the beta campaign was running but I think that the final product is very qualitative.

I just have to notice one thing. It's about that in default settings option "Skip dialers and applications from scan" in the real time is turned on. I turned it off and there is no any performance issues.

Best Regards.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Doesn't look that well. Although I heard the AV engine improved.

4. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hello,

This has been my experience for now.

5. The One

The One Frequent Poster

The review is fast, very fast.
    Detection sounds very impressive

6. chia

chia Registered Member

Well I was hoping that the standalone antivirus wouldn't have the same look as the full suite, but no luck. Installed it yesterday but already am kind of used to the new GUI. Guess it grows on you.

Softwin finally seems to have grasped the concept of a "silent" update. Nothing pops up in the task bar anymore that I could see. But then again I'm not paying attention most of the time. ;)

Liking it so far. :thumb:

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Using BitDefender Internet Security now and, well, its strange. o_O

I'm so not used to the interface - its definitely not bad but I really liked the older interface better. I would like to see more skins for BitDefender :)

As far as features go, it is a welcome addition to see a FULL firewall finally added, BitDefender AV Plus users were getting no justice in this regard! :):)

8. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Thanks for the feed-back,

silent updates are also present when you play all sorts of games, thru the gamemode implemented in this new product.

As for the skins we are still thinking at this option, but I think the best sollution is only to use different color scheme themes.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what ive noticed is the spam-toolbar in windows mail either loads slowly or incorrectly.

sometimes it looks like this, which is wrong:

Untitled.jpg

ive posted this on the bd forums, so i just hope it gets fixed, its definatly a software issue.

but the 'main issue' for me is the slowness that it takes for the toolbar to actually show up.

also, ive noticed just a few times, a 'script error' for internet explorer when i load up the gui sometimes.

res://C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2008\ENU\seccenter.ui/104

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  10. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

I also get the script error in the gui from time to time.

And.. unfortunately, a virus slept by BD last night.

I downloaded a codec package, installed it and all went fine.

Then I transfered it to my GF computer where KIS is now installed, ran it and KIS screamed about a file(man that sound is disturbing, like being attacked by an alien)

Sent it to virustotal to make sure and the result was

~Virustotal results removed per forum policy. Ron~

Thing is, according to viruslist, that virus IS in BD virus list as Backdoor.Agobot.3.Gen. Still not 100% sure it's real or a false positive, but I removed all the package and files to be safe then ran kaspersky online scan on my computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

There are some pretty "nasty" bugs with the TDI filter drivers in BitDefender Internet Security 2008. With BD installed, a particular bandwidth test I always use to check my internet connection bandwidth incorrectly reported a total bandwidth of....err....0.00 kbps. :p

I noticed several slowdowns and irregularities while uploading and downloading files as well. Overall I was happy with the product, but as always, bugs and minor niggles seem to keep me from using BD. The last version I was completely satisfied with was version 9.5....:( :'(

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Maybe a dumb question. I have a license for bitdefender av-plus v10 with about 120 days left on it. (not currently installed) Will that update to the new 2008 version, or would I have to buy a new license? Thanks for the help!

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it will upgrade to the internet security suite 2008

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks. I am going to fire it up on my Vista PC and see how it runs.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, i took the plunge and got a licence.

sold all my others, i now have drweb and bitdefender on alternate rollbackrx snapshots :)

i got it mainly for the pc, but seen as its more than 1 user licence, i might aswell have it on a snapshot too :)

the thing i dont understand is, when i registered the serial it said thank you etc etc you have 730 days.

however, when i log on to the website and check my history with the company, it says the licence is valid for 743 days

so which is it?

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

So when I install, should I install the v10 version and let it update to "2008", or should I download 2008 and enter my v10 license? thanks

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

un-install your current version, then download 2008 and use your existing licence.

make sure you download the 'internet security' though as your licence wont work on the 'total security'.

18. Niels

Niels Registered Member

You can always upgrade to a newer version while using your old key. But only for the remaining days. Because of the large changes you have to un install the version 10 productline.

Hello C.S.J

Did you first tried the trial? If so that are you remaining days for the trial.

Regards
    Niels

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, cheers niels :)

i always try the trials first, to see how it is,

at first, i was like "what the f***, the GUI is disgusting", but now i actually like the gui and its a big improvement to v10, and it all seems a big improvement to even the first beta which i also didnt like.

feels good that i can switch between avs with only a reboot using my rollbackrx pro, both my licences are 2yrs or above, so either way, no matter what im using, im secure and happy.

i will certainly keep on my bd till drweb have come out of beta, as i dont really like using betas if i can avoid it, even tho the drweb beta is super super stable, but at least now... i have a choice :)

i will certainly put it through its paces, and shall see how it goes.
    there are a few little issues, which im sure will dissappear in due course.

20. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Hi CSJ

Just curious. Why Bitdefender?

21. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello C.S.J

Softwin will fix these problems. But it can take some time. I can always receive some more information about how far they are with fixing the problem.
    Normally your licence will stay a while on 730 till these 14 days of your trial expired. You shouldn't worry if you find more then one instance in your online account that sometimes happens when you first use the trial instead of direct purchasing it.

You are very quick familiar with the new GUI. (I hope that it's correct English)

It's indeed good that you can still choose.

Till now I didn't tried Dr Web antivirus only there cureit! solution which I find very good. I don't think that I am going to change.

Regards
    Niels

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well i said a while back that after getting rollbackrx i might think about another purchase.

ive tried loads of different ones in the past, and i was stuck between either nod32 or bitdefender.

the new product, seems to work well... although it does have a few flaws, nothing major what i can see, plus they also give v.good support, plus... price came into question too, and bitdefender won on all counts against my other choice.

its as simple as that really. o_O

23. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Just feeding the trolls:D : How Symantec hasn't sued Bitdefender yet? GUI likes Norton360's GUI. Similarity is more than influence.

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

C.S.J You never said if that 50% discount that I gave you worked for Rollback Rx :cautious: I'm suspecting it did though :p And to everyone else, you can bugger off, I gave it to C.S.J So you cant have It :p

25. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

What can I say - Norton360 user interface rip off... no innovation. nuf said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.