Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

ShadowDefender is good,let it be.Only people who tested sofar can claim,opinions are welcome but as they are just opinions and sometimes muddy the waters.Opinions about members are just the **** we likely to prevent here,so lets test these SD and talk about more from a techn. viewpoint.

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Nanana1, no offence but if you take a step back and try to read your posts from a neutral perspective you should be able to see why he might wonder if you work for them. I personally figured you were connected in some way from about your third or fouth post on this thread, I've seen fanboys with less enthusiasm.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Part of it is I'd like to see the developer poke is nose in here. Coldmoon jumped in and we sparred a bit, but as a result I know own one license of Returnil, and if they whoop the raid issue it will be two more.

Same with Prosecurity. Jie has been here and I like and own his product. Very much also true of Online Armor.

Tzuk of Sandboxie while not here is very accessible on his forum.

I'd just like to know the who's who and be able interact a bit, before I invest my time in a product.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bingo. One of the reasons that I decided to purchase ShadowProtect was because of grnxnm's participation in these forums. :cool:

Acadia

5. tradetime

Very true, it's good to see people in here who are connected with the products, and can give more technical insight into how best they can be used, and provide a conduit for feedback to the company.

6. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I have no issues at all with genuine Chinese software. As Peter says there are very fine examples of great software from China.
    But lets be honest, China is the home of piracy in every form, and so has brought on itself these suspicions. Also, if the IP rights of Storagecraft have been bought legitimatly then why is there not some reference to that fact on the Shadow defender website. After all it could be a great selling point with their background.

My main objection to pirated software is that it increases the price to people who are honest and makes the sotfware writers introduce Activation just to protect their interests, which is a pain for their genuine customers. If their was no piracy there would be no need for activation.

I hope that Shadow Defender does well..........it would be nice to see one of their team here though!

Ken

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Someone said they didn't even know if this WAS software from China.

Domain Name ..................... shadowdefender.com
    Name Server ..................... ns1.eztk.com
    ns2.eztk.com
    Registrant ID ................... hc970133834-cn
    Registrant Name ................. Ping Yang
    Registrant Organization ......... Yang Ping
    Registrant Address .............. Chaoyang Dist, Beijing
    Registrant City ................. Beijing
    Registrant Province/State ....... Beijing
    Registrant Postal Code .......... 100012
    Registrant Country Code ......... CN
    Registrant Phone Number ......... +86.013366833757 -
    Registrant Fax .................. +86.013366833757 -
    Registrant Email ................
    Administrative ID ............... hc970133834-cn
    Administrative Name ............. Ping Yang
    Administrative Organization ..... Yang Ping
    Administrative Address .......... Chaoyang Dist, Beijing
    Administrative City ............. Beijing
    Administrative Province/State ... Beijing
    Administrative Postal Code ...... 100012
    Administrative Country Code ..... CN
    [/SIZE]

On another note, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the developers of all software to "pop" into Wilders to personally discuss their software. Some have chosen to do this, but this is a an awfully big world, with an awful lot of forums and if all the mods at these forums expect developers to "pop into" their site for a back and forth - that's a tad unrealistic (nothing personal -- but it also has a touch of arrogance), imo.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Believe me, somehow on first glance I read it this way
    :D Just a joke and it really happened so.:D

9. Peter2150

Okay, I decided to reconsider, and downloaded ShadowDefender and gave it a whirl.

Loaded it up into a virtual machine. First thing I tried was just to exercise the rollback, and commiting etc. All seemed to work well.

Then I tried Erik's delete test and it passed fine as said above.

Then I tried Killdisk. The machine survived killdisk, but when I rebooted it was still in shadowmode. Took another boot to bring it out of shadow mode. Not perfect, but the main thing is the machine survived killdisk and that is very good.

For grins I did email support and suggest they might pop in and visit us. Arrogant? I don't know. Why not.

Pete

PS. Imaging the host, and then will try it on the host and see if it plays with Raid 0.

Pete

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Pete,Thanks for the testing and good news.
    XP or Vista vm?

11. Peter2150

What's vista??:D

It was an XP machine. Actually as I type right now, I am in shadowmode on my desktop. It is working on Raid 0.

It has a mode to stay in Shadowmode on reboot, but it looks like it undoes the changes anyway and just comes up in shadowmode.

Neat that you can right click on a file and commit it that way.

Hate to say it, but this thing is going on me for the desktops. Hmm. No one can ever accuse me of not changing my mind.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks, Pete2150, for reconsidering and taking the time to do the killdisk test.:D

I stood my ground only because I strongly believe this software application is the one to consider other than Returnil and maybe Power Shadow. In my opinion, Deepfreeze and ShadowUser are out of the race.

I am not related to Shadow Defender and would never participate in this forum if I were obligated to them in any way.

Forumers must declare their interests if there is any conflict and for me, I have no vested interests whatsoever.:cool:

Like you, I wish they will sometimes pop into this forum and listen to the voices of the consumer in pursuing the holy grail of exiting shadowmode without reboot. Even if we could exit shadowmode by logging off the user account, it would itself be quite an achievement.*puppy*

Howver when software vendors do participate, I hope they will not hard-sell their products and allow forumers to decide what they want. In this way, this forum can somewhat maintain its neutrality and impartial position.

That's why Wilders Security forum has rocked and still does !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  13. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

I analyzed the ShadowDefender filter driver, diskpt.sys, and it is definitely not a copy of StorageCraft's ShadowUser driver. Although they seem to have copied the StorageCraft manual and ideas, it looks like the code itself is not a rip-off.

14. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Thankyou grnxnm. I feel more comfortable knowing that, and am happy to give it a trial now.

Ken

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s good. I wonder if they were able to code it so good, why not write a manual of their own!

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK good enough for me.

Reinstalled to the real system and still running Sandboxie and Returnil with Shadow Defender all active without any probs.

I know there's no need to run all three but I did this as a test and as it seems fine I will leave it for the time being.(laziness may have some input here as well)

I like how you can allocate certain saved folders where anything you want to keep can survive a reboot.

Of course with Returnil running as well it would have to be a folder on another partition besides C.

Shadow Defender is quite an amazing bit of work considering it's size and capabilities.

Still 29 days of testing to go though.

17. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thank you for this important clarification !:D

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: This app seems to me is so far so good in terms of tech performances. But I still have the following concerns:
    (1) Its web site domain name registrant may not be the author of this app.
    (2) price US$ 35 appears to be out of reach of ordinary Chinese population, namely, this is product is tailored for oversea market.
    (3)Is it password protected ? although it has passed the code manipulation method supplied by Eric. And killdisk test.
    (4) Has anyone compared its driver diskpt.sys with powershadow's snapshot.sys.... PowerShadow has released its newest version 2008, in which it has expanded features extensively. Since both apps come from BeiJing and both bear an unique feature of getting into shadow mode w/o rebooting. I can not find any other disk-virtualization app to have such a special DNA marking.
    My concerns may not be of any tech significance, but I always look out for any me-too copy cats in cyber world.

19. tradetime

Hi Perman, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the whole challenge was to get out of shadow mode, or whateve you want to call it without rebooting.

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Maybe they are excellent at computer language but not the English language. :D

Acadia

21. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

look 5 posts above yours, he knows what he is talking about.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes but he compared with a different thingy[Shadowuser]

23. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Drat! I did it again :( sorry about that. It´s the bleeding shadows again confusing me.
    Shadowuser, Powershadow, Shadowdefender, Shadowprotect, Shadowsurfer.....I think there is a bit of inflation in the word shadow nowadays :D Suddenly I can see some point in the big companies hunt for protecting their name :D

But good question though, I earlier asked what the difference in functionality between the two is. They both seem to do exactly the same thing.

24. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Looks like a keeper for me so far.... I can't use PowerShadow or Rerturnil due to my system having SATA and IDE but this worked great under XP Pro. Obviously need to do further tests but at least it worked! Also noticed the software has been updated already which is a good sign hopefully that the companies committed.

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes the tests of Farmerlee and Franklin are a good indication, that it protects your system very well. Of course only a long period of usage will reveal possible problems.

Such products are the future, because ALL security softwares have one thing in common : they fail too much and layered security might reduce these failures, but then you need more security softwares. There was a time I had more security softwares, than softwares to do my job and hobbies. That is ridiculous.

Recovery softwares don't fail so much and you have your system back and when your system is back, you can continue with your work and you have your access to your personal data back.
    Image/File backup and certainly Immediate System Recovery make that possible, you only have to choose, the fastest and most reliable one and the right combination of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.