Time Person of Year

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Paul Wilders, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ladies and gents,

As you might have noticed, this thread has been pulled.

We are true believers in everyone epressing his/hers own opinion on all matters.

That said, our policy is not to allow posts/threads with an evident political message. Allowing for example this particular thread being up, would implicate we should allow sortalike threads stating exactly the opposite as well - and we would be in the middle of a heathed political debate. Although this is the Ten Forward forum, as a security/spyware board we keep our focus on non-political issues.

regards,

paul

2. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

Paul I can understand locking this from anyone commenting on the topic but not totally pulling it.

But it is your forum.

Randy

3. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Paul, I will not get into this!! and I think you know
    how I feel!( my emotions may get me banned)
    I respect this place and all its members.
    This issue has caused enough hate and discontent, that
    I will not push my beliefs on anyone, but it breaks my heart that(all) Soldiers have finally gotten some kind of due and it cannot be passed around!!

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I have to agree with Paul's position on this...

Imagine if you will a major magazine from a country other than the US... It publishes an issue: "The Best and The Worst of 2003 - A Year in Review". On its cover is the same picture that's on the Time Person of the Year issue, but the caption is a very different one - saying something about how they think the worst thing that happened in the past year was those soldiers fighting somewhere. (I chose this example as a very gentle variation on what might actually be on the cover of another country's national publication.)

There are multiple perspectives in the world and if we allowed one, then we ought to allow them all.

And if anyone's first reaction to what I posted above is - yeah, but these soldiers are fighting for "right" or the greater good, then you've actually proven the point. That ends up being a political perspective.

Interestingly enough, if that Person of the Year was "all soldiers from every country" with a caption saying they sacrifice themselves for us all, then that at least wouldn't have any particular political side to it and it would echo a sentiment that I myself share.

But, this is not an American forum. It's International and its founder and several team members are from The Netherlands. I'm an American and there are a couple others on the team, along with people from several other countries. The greatest thing about this board is it's International mix of people and perspectives.

My favorite thread here, and the reason why I turned it into a poll, made it a sticky in a non-poll section, and even gave it a link in the forum header, is "Where in the Worldo_O?". Look at the poll counts and distribution. Look at the replies. That is one of the things that makes this a truly wonderful place.

5. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

Ok Thank you LWM for a furthur explanation. Things are cool with me.

Randy :D

6. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

LowWaterMark, Point taken but...if its so International then we and all members should be able to share the good and bad points in life!!(right)
    this is all I am going to say any further because my posting was not meant to cause a problem, it was to share great news about a terrible situation(that is all)
    my apology if it has offened anyone in anyway!!

7. Paul Wilders

As fairly most of the times, LWM did explain as of why the thread has been pulled far more eloquent and better then I could have done.

hayc59, I do hope the explanation provided is speaking for itself - in spite of your personal strong stand on this issue. And for the record: we are not in the habit of banning someone that easily.

regards.

paul

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

I am cool with it also :D
    but....oh never mind ;) ;)

9. Paul Wilders

"Good"and "bad" don't have a common standard - what is regarded as "good"by one, is regarded as "bad" by others - especially when for example politics or religion are the issue.

It didn't cause a problem ;)

No need for apologies. As stated before, eveyone is entitled to his/her own personal opinion. This board isn't the place to post/discuss politics - that's all there's to it.

regards.

paul

10. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) I never did see anything about this post but I think I get the basics. I would suggest that if that post involves another website address, you could then post it in our Political Links thread?? :D

Just a suggestion. ;)

11. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Done, lets see if it holds?? if not that is cool(again) ;)

12. Paul Wilders

I've answered your PM in the meanwhile - no it did not hold
    ;)

regards.

paul

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Oh well I don't like it but I can live with it.

Merry Christmas

14. Paul Wilders

Merry Christmas, bigc ;)

regards.

paul

15. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Thank You for this thread. It was a reminder to me again why many in this world are able to celebrate any hoildays no matter where they live.

May the New Year bring Peace in your Heart.

Share that, with reflection, to your Friends and Family. When that can be extended to the whole world ****** children will sleep and Families will grow.

Be Well,

John

16. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I don't read magazines so I did not know what the title of this thread meant nor why it was pulled. I Googled it and now I understand why. It's your board.

Hakuna Matata! (No worries) ;)

17. JayK

JayK Poster

That's why I don't do politics on the net. Such posts tend to be trollish , certainly they make the "what is the best AV" debates look like kids in Kidergarden arguing over sweets.

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

JayK, I must confess despite having participated in such nonsense myself, you are absolutely correct, have a good one.

Acadia

19. JayK

JayK Poster

Well I must admit, I don't always keep to my own rules. When someone misintrpretes Islam to be some sucidical cult crazies , I often feel inclined to step in to rebut that.

It has happened already in other forums where I'm a regular, where they also have a community forum much like ten forward here.

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I know this may inspire Paul to step in with one of his admittedly necessary warnings but here goes: again, in my opinion, you’re right; all religions in their extreme forms create the “cult crazies”. Heck, Christianity may have spawned more cults than any other religion. And look what the Catholics and Protestants did to each other for decades in Belfast: both claiming to worship a man who said “love thy neighbor” and “love thy enemies”. Ahhhhhhh, here comes a moderator, duck. ;)

Acadia

21. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Sorry guys, but I'm in training to be a Mod.[​IMG]

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well... :D

Without commenting upon any specific examples, of course, I will say that I agree regarding how those things normally go. Threads based upon either political or religious perspectives almost always end badly. That's why we don't have them here.

So, before we do end up having one of those discussions... :blink: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.