Create hard disk image on dvd's for future restore.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jaibux, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaibux

Jaibux Registered Member

Hello,

I've just bought Acronis® True Image 10 Home and I'm trying to create an image of my hard drive exactly as it is right now (and keep the image on a DVD's set), for future recovery/restore. just in case my hard drive crash or I decide to upgrade to higher capacity. But I can't find how to do it. :doubt:

Note: I'm not planning to buy a new hard disk right now, as I said, I just want to have a image for backup, so if necessary, I just have to restore it with out install every software I have.

Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

While creating the Backup directly to dvd discs is possible, it is an extremely slow process especially if the size of the Backup Image requires 4 or more discs. If you have another hard drive, internal or external, it is better to use this as the destination for the backup. If you specify a split size for the backup, after you make the backup you can then burn these images to dvd discs using Nero or Roxio or your favorite burning software.
    You should also make the bootable True Image cd from the installed software and make sure it will "see" the backup images wherever you have them stored.
    Even though you are not planning to buy a new hard drive, the only sure way to know that a Restore will be successful is to do an actual restore to a spare drive. I would not recommend you use your present system drive to test a restore.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The official user guide can be very helpful. If you want something more specific, the download my Guides listed below. As DwnNdrty suggested, many have better success using another internal or external hard drive.

The size of your ATI backup will be about 60-65% of your current used space. While another hard drive would be a better option, if space permits, ATI will allow a backup archive to be temporarily created on your C drive (from inside Windows but not the Rescue CD).

Use the "archive splitting" backup option and split the intended backup into file sizes to fit onto a DVD or CD. A file size for DVD would be "1492 MB" which would fit 3 files onto one DVD. This DVD copy procedure is often referred to as "two step method". After completion of backup and after validation, you could then copy the *.tib archive files onto the DVD as simple data files. Validation of the DVD is also recommended using the user created Rescue CD.

Previous postings have covered much information you might need. Don't hesitate to search previous postings.

Strongly urge that you do NOT install the Acronis Secure Zone or Startup Recovery Manager until such time as you understand how they function and what modifications are made to your machine. These options may or may not be something you want to use. Check the Useful Forum Topics for more info about these functions.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jaibux,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that it's possible, as described by DwnNdrty and GroverH to back up to DVDs either directly (by choosing DVD as destination in the backup creation wizard), or backing up to the hard drive first (using archive splitting function to make parts fittable on DVD media), and the burning them on DVDs as data using any suitable third-party burning software.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.