FSIS 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by colorado13, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

Hi folks,

1. How is antivirus/anyspyware/antitrojan/antimalware protection in FSIS 2007?
    2. How good is new HIPS DeepGuard, is something like PDM of KIS?
    3. How good is the firewall of this suite?
    4. Pros and cons
    5. Price

Regards

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

good
    good
    good
    both
    cheaper than kaspersky

pros: lots
    cons: slow system boot up

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hello colorado13,

I think FSIS2007 is one of the best security suites out there (if not the best, it's powered by kaspersky;) ) for protection against any kind of malware, its DeepGuard acts like Kasp's pdm but unlike this doesn't 'annoy' you much with warning pop-ups. I tried FSAV07 so I cannot tell about its firewall. The only gripe I have for the program is it takes a little more time to load than others after every system boot. For the price of US$ 59.90 I think it's average.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I only have couple of complaints about F-Secure IS 2007...

1. Creating rules for the firewall is a bit awkward (not bad, just different), but if you look at the support section on their site you can figure it out.

2. Activation limit on the software. I tend to play around with different security software and have reached my activation limit twice with F-Secure. However, their support department has always been quick to reset my key when requested (usually within 24hr).

3. I wish the firewall logging was a little better. It works, but the log can be hard to read sometimes.

Other than that it's a great suite.

5. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I have just tried:

Blink: bit heavy but no slowdown in PC. When I ran a scan it said I had some malware (the report said something from download.com). Didn't understand why? Tried it on my son's pc and it said Limewire was naughty, etc.. I always have in mind how many complaints from the kids when I choose s/w so it went. However, for the ultra-cautious, a good choice if you live States, Canada or Asia-Pac to get it for free. 200 available (see below)

Avira: big fan of Avira as we used their freebie for ages. I eventually tried the suite after they changed the pricing to accommodate families. Unfortunately, the avira firewall would not register with my Windows security centre and I wanted WSC to monitor it. On my PC with 512 ram this would show 250 available with no programmes started by me. Great detection with a few more FPs an others. Fastest boot-up. The rest seemed similar boot-up to me.

KIS7: attracted to KIS by high detection rates. Hoped it would run as light as Avira but 200 available. Pricewise F-secure is better although KIS is starting special offers to switch you. I was a bit concerned about the PDM popping up and getting q's from the kids.

Norton: tried because the new one is light but I found it the same as KIS/Blink/F-secure. To be honest just didn't like the gui and navigating it. Also, the updates seemed to go forever. But, good price and great detection.

F-secure: Attracted by Kaspersky engine and Norman sandbox(Deepguard http://www.f-secure.com/f-secure/pressroom/news/fs_news_20070620_01-eng.html). Like the multi-engine capability. The gui is easy and straightforward. Dead easy to set up other than if you are doing file/printer sharing which is http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/elearning/is2007el_enu/index.html see FAQ/Special Config. Again, usually shows 200 available. Price is good but I am hoping they reduce further to counter KIS. Sign-up to the trial and they send you an email with 25% off.

To me I like F-secure, Avira and KIS.

In my mind all three have great detection with Avira having the edge but they are so close it's not worth thinking about.

Avira is definitely the lightest, the fastest to install (and uninstall), fastest to boot.

However, I love the F-secure i/f as it's so easy to navigate. It doesn't have the options the others have and that's fine by me. Also, with the http scanner switched on it seems the fastest. I used Excite on http://www.numion.com/Stopwatch/ to do a sort of quant analysis.
    Scan-wise I do all files and leave zips alone, for 50Gig total on 2 hard-drives it takes 55mins. Reading a previous thread I may stop doing weekly scans and use the option where you can choose up to three days a month.

I'm due to take a buy decision over the next week and if I give another one a go it will be back to KIS. probability of doing so is 10% at the moment.

BTW, if you intend to test them all then use Regseeker to clean the registry ater you uninstall or ERUNT to take a backup copy before installing as these babies need to be wrenched away.

This posted is dedicated to Peter2150 - he knows why:) .

Ian

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi Ian,
    as said in the past on the kaspersky forums if the user cannot understand the pdm first do a basic install.
    if it still popups to much do a custom install and uninstall the PDM.
    and crank the heristics up to max file av,mail av and webav.

back to the main question
    if you dont mind the slower startup and slow full system scan then its a great suite.
    I still dont know why f-secure havent ditched the useless ad aware engine yet thou.
    i mean kaspersky plus norman sand box is more than enough engines IMO.
    and would mean the startup would be faster. and scans quicker
    lodore

7. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    I understood it - whether I could trust my kids to bother to try to understand it is another matter.
    I am sorry to report I expect not!
    Cheers,
    Ian

8. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

It is a great suite out there. I really fell safe with it.
    However, It slows down windows startup a lot, and then everything goes well. When I open its main windows or some configuration windows, the cpu seems to reach 100% for some second.

9. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

Thanks guys for replies!

Regards

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Just got done trying out FSIS 2007.
    One heavy suite. If I can count straight this late, there were 13 processes running. Reminded me of NIS and Mcafee when I used to run those several yrs. back.
    The one thing that turned me off to this was the delays and pauses between pages, even in their own GUI.
    Just don't have the patience for this. But that's me.
    Could be just my system too.
    Oh well, back to the drawing board for now.:cool:

11. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

I've been using FSIS2007 for nearly a year, and for the best part of the day, I wouldn't even know it's there. Of all the suites, I found it to be the least annoying (KIS take note!), and protection is excellent. OK, so it takes slightly longer to boot up than some others, but nowhere near as long as Norton did on my machine, and it does have several running processes, but these are all fairly small, and I notice no lag on my system, which is getting on for 5 years old now. I also believe that web pages load quicker than with some other suites, even with HTTP scanning on, and with the added bonus of it being cheaper than many other suites, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

To me, it is the best suite made. It may be a large install but runs as fast as Avira with better detection and cleaning.

13. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Strange to me it was really bloathed. Too heavy

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I also think it is maybe the best suite in some ways. I don't think any offers better security than FSIS. It does take longer to load, but once loaded it runs so well I seldom knew it was there. It has fewer pop up warnings than KIS, and the firewall seemed to learn faster. I did not notice the load.

Although I would be happy with FSIS, I am not using it as I prefer the faster start and much faster scans of KIS, but I do not think KIS is otherwise a better application.

I recommend a trial, and as has been said, there is a 6 months trial available from MS for FS 2006. However, I found it upgraded to 2007 without problems.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.