Help - can't unistall SpywareGuard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by visigoth58, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visigoth58

visigoth58 Registered Member

I can't fully uninstall SpywareGuard 2.2. I tried through Add.Remove Programs but it didn't uninstall all the way and now add/remove programs says "C:\....unins0000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall.

I want to uninstall because I now use NOD 32 and it seems that SG is causing problems like maybe processor slowdowns (I hope that's whats causing it).

Can anyone tell me how to uninstall SG completely?

Thanks. Visigoth58

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello,

Does the SWG program file still exist? If so is unins000.dat file still there? If it is try uninstalling from there. Also u could reinstall SWG then try uninstalling once again. Always make sure u exit the program properly before uninstalling.

snowbound

3. visigoth58

Thanks for your help.The SWG file does still exist but the unins000.dat is not there. There is unins000.exe but clicking that just brings up same error msg. I spent a long time searching my files for the original SWG install file but can't find it. Should I (can I?) still download it, reinstall it and then uninstall it? Who maintains SWG now-a-days? Was it always Javacool? Does SWG even exist anymore or has it been replaced with SpywareBlaster. I googled it but had a hard time getting a straight answer.

V58

4. snowbound

5. visigoth58

Thanks for your reply. I will follow that link and give it a try. V58

6. visigoth58

I ran the "sg-remove-hook.reg" edit pgm but with no sucess. a/r pgms still won't let me uninstall SpywareGuard. The link you provided me with, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=204656#post204656, had the following as the last paragraph:

...you should have uninis000.exe. Just double-click that and it should uninstall. (Please note there
    should be a similar file in there, unins000.dat, that is not the
    program, so don't double-click that. It is a data file that tells
    the uninstaller how to do its job. If that is missing then the
    uninstall becomes more difficult.)​

Unins000.exe is there but "unins000.dat" is not and that's why a/r pgms won't let me uninstall SWG. Do you know how to get unins000.dat back. Remember, I know longer have the original install SWG pgm.

Also the same, above post said: "you can then kill the two
    processes related to SpywareGuard (sgmain & sgbhp)" Well, sgmain is in the running processes list but sgbhp is not.

Thanks again. Visigoth58

7. snowbound

Download it from here,

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

Reinstall and this should replace the files needed than uninstall as directed.

snowbound

8. visigoth58

Alright! That did the trick. It returned the unins.dat, I clicked unins000.exe and all but a few files were gone. The uninstaller told me I'd have to dlete them myself which I did except 2 which told me "access denied." I googled around and found a pgm called "Unlocker which I downloaded, installed and it deleted the last 2 files instantly. I just hope I didn't open another can of worms by downloading that!

Thanks again V58

9. snowbound

You're welcome. :)

Good to see u got it sorted. :thumb:

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.