Gone Back To Ewido 4.0!!!!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Rickster100, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

After having removed AVG-AS 7.5 latest update from my machine I have reinstalled Ewido 4.0.0.201 and can now happily update the signature database to the exact same number of definitions as AVG-AS 7.5 - and without having to have guard.exe running at all times.

Ewido 4.0's malware cleaning may (or may not) be as good as AVG-AS 7.5, but at least I can again scan with full AVG-AS definition updates with guard.exe safely and cleanly disabled. That will do for now. Once installed, the user is prompted to update to the new AVG version - but this must be done MANUALLY, and program update will not occur during definition updates. :D

Clicking on the "Upgrade Now Free Of Charge" in Ewido's GUI sends you to Ewido's webpage giving the user the choice to update manually (or not). Regardless, now im back to an on-demand scanner with full definition updates.

Thumbs up to Ewido. RESULT!!!! :thumb:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Another option is Ewido-micro. I keep it for on demand only = no service running. A nice little companion to my normal AV for those times when a second opinion is desired. ;)

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Still with Ewido 3.5 ..... LOL :D

Attached Files:

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

That's what I'll be doing, I just checked for updates with the previous version of AVGAS (the one without the service), and it tried to update to the version that needs the service, so I uninstalled.

Thanks for the idea :D

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

That's the one I miss.
    Tell me does it still update ok?
    your screenshot shows an updated database but last update says never.o_O
    I still have my old installer of Ewido 3.5,wondering if it would work & update?

6. Rickster100

I used FileHippo's AVG/Ewido download page and used the final public version 4.0.0.172c as the installation file. It promptly installed and updated to a slightly newer version 4.0.0.201 during definitions update. You can also get the previous Ewido 3.5 releases there also, but I would stick to version 4.0. Enjoy!! ;)

Attached Files:

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Do you have a link to Micro please? Is it compatible with Vista32?

8. ThunderZ

This is the only LINK I could find on short notice. I do not know if it is compatible with Vista. Also please use due diligence when downloading it as I can not vouch for it`s source. I d/l`d it and it scans clean for me.

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

10. ThunderZ

Thanks LoneWolf. Ewidos` site is the first one I checked. Just did not dig deep enough.

11. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

Hello,

Their small ewido command line utility is an excellent alternative to the fully installed program with the current guard.exe issues.
    http://downloads.ewido.net/ewidoscan.zip

12. Wiseloki

Wiseloki Registered Member

You guys are genii!

I was getting increasingly frustrated at AVG AS (I'm a free user and only use most AS aps manually - I use NOD32 and Defender for real-time), was nostalgically longing for the days when it was Ewido, and the final straw came a couple of weeks ago when a signatures update stopped it from running. I uninstalled and reinstalled it as instructed (including complete system reboots, which takes about 5 mins each time) and it worked fine, until I updated the signatures again ready for a scan, allowed it to restart as it requested and, guess what, it wouldn't open and wanted me to reinstall it yet again.

Well I uninstalled it as requested, but left it at that (I also have Asquared, Spybot and AdAware free AS's, so have adequate options for my weekly scans).

But I really liked Ewido. I contacted AVG with the problem but the AVG help team were as much use as a chocolate teapot, asking me to "isolate the update files" :eek: , or somesuch (as if I knew how to do that).

But I never thought of going back to Ewido 4 and didn't know it would still work, until I read this thread.

So today, I went to File Hippo and Ewido 4 is now downloaded, installed, updated (it ran after updating, unlike AVG!) and scans as I type. I'll just have to ignore the nag for AVG.

Bliss. :cool:

13. Firephoenix

Firephoenix Registered Member

Use version 4.0.0.172c, no nagging popup for upgrade ! :thumb:

14. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

Does 3.5 still work?Never had a problem with it until G* took over,and that was only once.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

About Ewido micro v4 and Vista
    It is with an old engine . It uses the same signatures as the latest AVG AS , AFAIK .

To run with Vista , you may try to go to this file's properties , choose to run the exe file in Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2

16. Rickster100

Since re-install of Ewido 4.0 over 30 days ago and now out of free trial status, not one single issue has occurred on my system each time I have manually updated. Thumbs are still up to Ewido.

Attached Files:

17. buttoni

buttoni Registered Member

I did the same thing, went back to Ewido 4.0 for exactly the same reason. Just don't want guard.exe running all the time. Like you, absolutely no problems manually updating. Couldn't be happier. Figure my Counterspy and BOClean give me my real protection & just use Ewido on-demand like you.

18. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I got to admit you all are tempting me. I had problems installing the new AVG version and nobody ever got back with me. I just wrote them off. I did get the Ewido micro and was pondering something. How effective are the micros and/or version 4 engine with the new signatures? In other words, are they effective at scanning for malware? I'm thinking of installing the older version because I miss scanning the memory and reg. daily.

Thanks, ipeace

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

As for myself I never switched to AVG, have been using Ewido all the time. Cannot really tell you how effective it is has it never found much on my system. But it's probably because of my safe surfing habit.:p

20. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Does the licensed Ewido 4 run OK with fulltime guard running? I just liked the overall look and performance better with the big gold "E". This new cartoonish AVG logo is kinda annoying...:rolleyes: :D

21. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks Antarctica, I'm fairly safe too :). I just like having a bunch of scanners around to give my computer something to do when I'm not around :p. I guess the question about the effectiveness of Ewido 4 probably could only be answered by a select privileged few :shifty: .
    Cheers, ipeace

22. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

I am new to Ewido. What do you advise ? The micro version which connects to the web, the 11 Mb zip file ewidoscan or the installation package ewido-setup_4.0.0.172c.exe ?. I prefer a free one and having the last updates.
    Thanks.
    http://downloads.ewido.net => many files here, which one to take ?

23. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

I thought of going back to Ewido but decided to stick with AVG and just set the guard service to manual. If you want to update AVG defs or run a scan then you can just right click the service and start it.
    Not that big a deal really.

24. Rickster100

See this thread; AVGAS 7.5.1.36 does not start if guard.exe disabled or stopped. You cannot place guard.exe on manual or disabled startup any longer from that version onwards. This is by design.

25. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

Using 7.5.1.43 and you can set it to manual in services and it doesn't run all the time.

Also that statement from peter.ewido is quite correct if you leave it to off. I was saying to restart the service if you want to use it. I personally don't want resident malware scanning, I generally do a manual scan every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.