Does anyone had this problem?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sach1000rt, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

when you double click on one of your hard disk drive it doesnt open or it open in different window. anyone had this problem?
    It did happened to me and still i dont know what the problem was? No its not because i checked the option of opening in different window NOR its the hardware problem because several computers of my friends were having same problem.
    I installed fresh xp after this problem but the problem continued except the drive where i installed xp.
    I assume that was the effect of may be a virus but antivirus didnt find anything(norton).
    I still dont know what was that and the solution for that. It is quite a mystery to me.
    Anyone have opinion for this?

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

hello
    it's probably a worm, if you right click on the drive you should have an entry like autorun/autoplay bolded/as default. Depending on what worm it is you have to delete some files on your drives (usually it's autorun.inf for the autorun)

3. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i never have such problem until now.

4. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

Thank you for that information. I think im pretty prepared for that type of problems now.
    But wondering why norton didnt detect it?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

somepeople have reported this with usb pendrives.
    normaly after there antivirus removes a virus from a usb pen drives that tries to autostart once plugged in. the antivirus deletes the autorun file meaning the only way to open the drive is to right click and click on explore.
    never heard of it with a harddrive thou.
    lodore

6. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

Yes it happens alot with pen drive or portable hard disks. But it did happened to my computer hard disk not only my but to some of my friends also.
    Anyway i dumped norton and using or testing nod32, kaspersky, avira and there is no problem till now after dumping norton.

7. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

so its caused by norton ?? weird...

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

rubbish,

norton has naff-all to do with this,

its either a microsoft problem, we know there are many... i usually encounter a problem every other day myself, or its a user mistake/user setting problem.

dont touch, what isnt broken ... seems to come to mind.

:D

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I too have seen some worms doing it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  10. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

I didnt mean that its because of norton. What i thought that time was its because of some virus, and norton didnt detect it. So when i started using nod32 or kaspersky, the problem didnt showed up again, so i thought i am well protected now.

11. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I had this porblem, it was Windows problem, not virus. I posted this in several forums,but I found solution only for XP, but I use Vista, so i reformatted my machine.
    Google this problem and you will find answer how to fix it..

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've been having this problem for three weeks, that is when I double click on my C drive or my USB drive F I get a window (see screenshot) "Open With - Choose the program you want to use to open this file.....

If I right click and choose "Open" everything is fine. My antivirus (NOD32) has deleted many nasties coming from USB memory sticks. Would that have anything to do with it? Another strange thing is when I hit:

Tools/Folder options/View/Advanced settings, and tick 'Show hidden files and folders' the new setting reverts back to the original 'Do not show hidden files and folders'.

Scans with Nod show nothing, with Kaspersky online scanner nothing not even suspicious files.

Can anyone help explain? My computer seems very healthy and fast as usual, and if it is a windows problem what is it that I should google to find out?

Attached Files:

13. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

Well for hidden files and folders to show you have to edit the registry.Here is the
    registry root-
    click run from start menu, type regedit in run and press enter
    before proceeding any further backup the registry.
    after registry opens go this way-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\hidden\showall
    when you click showall at the right side there will be some values
    click on checkedvalue reg_dword 0*00000001(1)
    above is the correct value and in your system it may be 0*00000001(2) or 0*00000001(0)
    ok, right click on checkedvalue and say modify, window will open enter 1 hexadecimal base and click ok.and press f5 to refresh, thats it.
    checkout hidden files now.

and as per as the drive problem i dont know the solution yet.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt answer, I'll try your method, although it doesn't seem to be a simple thing. Why would one access the registry directly if it is an option in 'Advanced settings'? And why the option reverts back to default?

15. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

weeks ago i also got same problem of not showing hidden files because of some virus which was hidden in c drive and was acting as one of operating system file. It didnt allowed me to open firefox and some sites like youtube,orkut in internet explorer.When i came to know that it was coming from usb drive,whenever i double click on usb drive the virus launched itself. but no worries cause i know the solution but my antivirus will delete it before i access usb now.
    Dont worry, some viruses change the registry to hide themselves and even if you detect and delete the virus the registry remains same as changed only.
    and yes i did same when i got that problem.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've restored an early image and things are normal as far as my C drive and hidden files. My USB drive still opens up with "Open with..." window(when I double click), but shows hidden files. I presume something is missing still, not a big deal though.

I think pravbk is right my antivirus must have deleted a virus, which managed to do something to the registry (how, I don't know, probably Process Guard and RegDefend are not so infallible as I thought).

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Try formating ur USB drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.