Total Uninstall:how to use it right

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Banshee, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Hi,

I like idea behind Total Uninstall.But:

TU takes a pre-install snapshot
    TU installs the app X
    Tu takes a post-install snapshot.

So you go on using your computer as usual...install,surf and all that for a few weeks.Say after 2 months you don't want app X anymore and you use TU to uninstall it.

Now, if you use TU to uninstall app X Tu will restore very old registry keys.

Restoring old registry keys could well mess up your pc ?

Is there a way to use TU without messing up the registry ?

any input welcome

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

No reply here - just want to echo your concerns.

For applications I know I'm going to keep, I've given up taking an initial TU snapshot. If I decide to totally delete the app months later, I wouldn't have the cojones to execute the old TU snapshot. My concern is not just limited to the registry, but also to DLL's and other potentially shared files.

For, apps that I am really just testing, I usually make a quick judgment and apply TU snapshot or more frequently I revert to a backup image using my backup of choice (Paragon at the moment) takes about 20 minutes, so it's not big deal. I know there are better programs for this like FD-ISR and RollbackRx, but I haven't invested in either (yet) and I'm not sure I wish to devote the precious HDD space on my laptop.

It seems to me that to use TU smartly, one should carefully scrutinize the initial snapshot, and selectively re-apply only the changes that appear to be worthwhile. It's more work, and it is takes the decision making away from TU - but you are the one that is going to live with the results anyway. In the end, this method fine ,but it isn't much better than a manual cleanup using explorer and a registry editor.

If I am not understanding how TU works or its infallibility, I would be grateful if someone would enlighten me.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

I´ve been using this app for years and I love it!I always carefully read the detected changes after the post install snapshot which is easily done. Also I always delete all info which I´m sure do´nt concern the app in question,AV logs and other open apps changings during install...In v4 you can now upgrade previous snapshots(when upgrading an app) and merge logs...I strongly recommend this software...

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I always uninstall an application with Windows's Add/Remove Programs.
    Then I uninstall the same application with TU.
    It happens regularly that TU still finds some leftovers after using Windows's Add/Remove Programs, which proves that TU does a better job.

TU has a forum, where you can ask any questions. :)

5. Banshee

>TU has a forum, where you can ask any questions. :)

I went to their forum @ martau dot com. It says the forums are locked because of excessive spamming.

6. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, I roger that...I myself often use Your Uninstaller prior to TU, but not always...For certain apps ,i.e security suites,Eazfix/Rollback rx,msi:s, defraggers and similar,it´s wise to use the internal uninstaller first,and then after a reboot make a TU final after reboot...At least acc. to my personal experience...

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I only need TU to uninstall softwares that were installed permanently for quite some time. I usually do this when I found a better software, than the one I used, but that doesn't happen so often.
    The only reason why I have TU is that I'm not good in uninstalling leftovers and TU makes it alot easier.

All the other softwares I install is pure out of curiosity, not to keep them. I install most of them in my frozen snapshot and when I want to get rid of them, I simply reboot-to-restore and everything is gone. I use FDISR often as a cleaner and uninstaller, to keep my system partition (Windows + Applications) clean.

At least, I enjoy my temporary installations without any cleaning, while other users have to clean the mess.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Same here, i regularly install programs out of nothing more than curiosity a lot of times and theres much to be learned from that practice as well as cleaned up afterwards.

I use Your Uninstaller AFTER Add/Remove Programs or the program's own UNWISE file. LoL

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: can I ask you guys-TU users,one quick question? If I install prog A on day 1-of course, following the proper procedures, then on day 2 , I install program B, day 3, program C, and on day 4, program D. Then I decide to install Prog A, can I proceed it right away or I have to consider those programs installed after prog A first ? I mean to uninstall them on revered order before getting to program A ? If I jump right to program A, would the registry be messed up ?

10. Banshee

perman, nobody seems to know :-(

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, I thought TU was a very much received application. Where are the loyal ? Can not share some secrets ? I used once and messed up my registry, that is why I like to find out more truth, nothing but truth. Anyone?

12. osip

osip Registered Member

Every single snapshot can be used to uninstall A-D apps no matter of order...I have around 40-50 install snapshots,do you really beleive you have to uninstall all 49 to get rid of no1?
    Carefully study the change log and use it with common sense...

13. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I really dont think that TU can in any way 'make a mess' after an uninstall...
    If you use TU like ErikAlbert does ,and i do as well, you first
    1-uninstall with AddRemove, which already makes 95% of concerned files vanish..then
    2-uninstall with Total Uninstall,which will take care of the remaining 4-5%,or more..
    (for real 100% cleaning you should now go to Regedit and make a manual search and delete concerning files or use a Registry cleaner)
    If,by any chance,you only used AddRemove or the program's Uninstaller,but forgot Total Uninstall, no problem, those remaining files will still be in the Registry,but the greatest number will have been removed already. This procedure may cause trouble only at long range on account of the remnants.
    When Total Uninstall removes old program files there's no chance of trouble for the Registry: it is only the Removed Program files which go away and TU does not alter the rest, so the Registry is actually more up to date than before.
    Even if you updated those program files TU will remove the updated ones automatically ,as the updated ones will have taken the place of the old ones,but TU can identify them, unless it is a totally new service inside the program..... but in that case you can always use a registry Cleaner to get rid of those items, things like RegSupreme, RegSeeker or similar ones.
    Or ,better still,hunt them inside the Registry and F3 them to death...

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, osip: thanks for the pointers. Can I ask you one more question? if I need to uninstall program A, how would I proceed? to examine all snapshots and compare all change logs? If this is the case, what would be the difference than a manual deletion ? Confused, indeed. I thought their forum ( if not locked up by----) would be helpful. Now your advice seems to be the only lifeline I have out here now, SOS !

15. osip

osip Registered Member

Well @Perman,I feel that you´re a little bit too anxious...nothing wrong with that.If you want to uninstall progA my advice is to first look at the change log in the snapshot treeview for appA only, just in case,check if other applications has written to disk during the particular installation process and rightclick-delete if you´re sure it has nothing to do with it,otherwise leave it...Try to install/uninstall a small non essential app just to get used to TU and you will see for yourself...The above other suggested methods are fine and recommendable,test them...but TU is generally very reliable,in most cases you can use it without fear...Another useful thing with TU is when the built in uninstaller is lacking/vanished after a misfortunate reg cleaning or similar...You then have an extra option to get rid of the app...I´m sure you will see what I´m talking about when you try by yourself...If problems you´re wlecome to revert..

cheers...

16. Banshee

The problem I see here is this.If I install an app right now.I install more in the next few days then later say in a month I uninstall this app again using TU, Tu will restore registry entries that are very old clogging up the registry with entries that are not needed ?

17. osip

osip Registered Member

No,you´re mixing this up...TU register only changes concerning the particular installation process...When uninstalling these changes are taken away,the registry will not be restored...

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,osip: thanks for your encouragement, I did try TU, but...
    upon its installation, TU tried to delete DEEpFreeze, which is my darling software. Therefore I just stopped right there, not any further, nor any farther. Period. I will stick with "your uninstaller 2006" for now. I also tried Ashampoo Uninstaller Platinum, which has a similar theory as TU, again no luck. In spite of these, I do appreciate your time and kindness. Have a nice one.

19. osip

osip Registered Member

Hard to beleive that...Anyhow,choice is yours...Be well...

20. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

do you mean when while you were installing tu, or while you were uninstalling something with tu?

thats hard to believe, i agree wth osip

21. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: To cure my own curiosity and to ease your confusion, I went back and inst TU 4.11. I need to apologize the error I made. Upon TU's launch, it does flag(detect) the presence of DeepFreeze by popping up a small window with TU's icon in system tray area. It states "detect" rather than "delete". Mistake on my part, very sorry. But this leaves me one big question thou. Is TU designed to monitor applications which are installed AFTER TU's integration into user's box? I have many applications already installed prior to TU' time, why would TU detect ONLY DF, not others? Does TU have a special agenda towards DF? I do not know, but I do like to know. Can you guys share some info?

22. osip

osip Registered Member

My guess is that TU detects DF:s startup/tray icon as an installation...The TU agent is preconfigured to detect install.exe,setup.exe,msi and so forth...And then you have the option to start/reject monitoring,you can also put DF:s executable in the exclusions,open up ´options´-´agent´ and you will see that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.