TI Boot CD NOT detecting my CD-ROM . . .

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BobJ, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobJ

BobJ Registered Member

My TI 9, build 3854, BOOT CD does NOT detect my CD Drive.

I'll try to be as brief as I can (I know I have a "reputation" here for lengthy posts), but I want to make my problem clear, so please try to read through.

I am trying to restore an image from CD's (9 of them which I made with build 2259, and NO I'm not using build 3854 to try a restore with an image made with build 2259) to a new 120GB HD I bought to install in my laptop to replace the existing 20GB HD. My plan was to:
    1. Make an image, stored on CD's.

2. Place the Boot CD in my CD drive BEFORE I turned off the machine to swap drives.

3. Take out the old HD.

4. Install the new HD (a Western Digital Scorpio 120GB laptop HD)

5. Start up with the Boot CD.

6. Restore the image to the new drive (now in the machine)

Now here's where I got "stopped":
    1. I tried the build 3854 Boot CD, but I saw that it didn't detect my CD Drive, so I "aborted" that effort. However, the build 3854 in the Windows environment DID detect my CD Drive (which comes into play later).

2. I uninistalled build 3854, and installed build 2259, which is the build on the TI CD that I bought.

3. Since the build 2259 Boot CD DID detect my CD Drive, I selected that as the "backup" location, and went ahead and made the (9) CD backup with that build. That operation went OK.

4. With the old drive removed and the new drive in place, I booted off the build 2259 CD and attempted to restore the image.

5. STOPPED: Following GroverH's excellent "restore" guide, I got all the way to the "proceed" button, clicked on it, and immediately TI gave me an "Information" window that said that the backup files had been "successfully" installed. Obviously they hadn't, because the thing didn't even ask me to put in a single CD of the 9 that I made.

Nevertheless, just for kicks I tried to boot into windows from the new HD, and, much as I expected, the "no operating system present" message and failure to boot ensued.

So here's what I'm thinking of doing:
    1. I'm going to try and download build 3854 again, reinstall it, and see if the Boot CD will detect my CD Drive. If so, I'll try to make an image and restore it again, using that build.

2. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking about that "Ultimate CD for Windows" thing, and then using it to see if I can restore to the new HD with TI in the Windows environment provided by "UCD4W".

Any suggestions??

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

A popular and stable build of Version 9 is build 3677. This is probably a better download for you than 3854 because it is some 10GB smaller and I think that version did have some problem with CDs.

As Father's Day is tomorrow I really think you should treat yourself to an external hard drive. Life is too short to spend a lot of it sweating over a hot CD/DVD burner [​IMG][​IMG].

Xpilot

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Have a look at this post of mine https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1025553#post1025553 about UBCD4WIN. You can also add the BTS Mass Storage Pack to a plain vanilla BartPE disk along with one of Mustang's BartPE Plugins if you don't want all the stuff in UBCD4WIN. Mustang's plugins also work well with UBCD4WIN.
    I agree with Xpilot about B3677. Read this thread Testing of True Image 9.0 Home Build 3854.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Xpilot has an excellent suggestion. An external can be a valuable addition.

On some computers, backing up to Cd/DVD media (or restoring from) can be flakey at best.

Question:
    AA. Is your CDRom an internal or external usb drive?
    BB. Note: when creating the Rescue CD, be sure and include the full version.

1. Buy or borrow an external drive.
    2. Copy all the backup files from the cd/dvd into one folder on the external drive or network drive.
    3. Use the rescue Cd and validate the newly copied *.tib backup set.
    4. If the backup set successfully validates, then
    5. Attach the external drive and repeat the restore pointing to the backup set residing on the external drive or network drive.

or an even better suggestion would be to
    A. Create a new full disk backup using the external or network as the destination.
    B. Boot from the TI Rescue cd and restore the image from the the external drive.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BobJ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.