Possibly boring by now; but VISTA .... no no no not yet.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I know I know this is old by now but we may have to resist a bit longer.

Short but truly well done:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=M0sy2i5FMcI

A really telling exposition:
    Chris Prillo and downgrading (!!) to XP ?? new 'update' = "retrograding" ?? ;)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HELrxLdP85c&mode=related&search=

Long but eloquent
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=z3M07i_Ejys&mode=related&search=

You have adolescents in the house?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJKDxKSVak&mode=related&search=

there are of course many more, these are just a few

Half good half rotten egg
    It really isnt ready or well thought out.
    Once the gamers get hold of it then it prolly will take off.

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well to be honest, those videos are Cat Crap, because I've had Vista for Months and all the following work Perfectly:

Nero
    Encarta 2007
    Office 2007
    Works 8.5
    Real Player
    Quicktime
    ACDSee
    Acronis True Image
    Adobe Photo Shop CS3
    Adobe Reader 8
    Adobe Lightroom
    Corel Paintshop Pro Photo XI
    Corel Snapfire Plus
    WinAVI
    Cyberlink Power DVD
    SmartDraw 2007
    AVG Anti-Spyware
    Incredimail
    HP Photosmart
    Roxio (All Products)
    Adobe Photo Essentials 5

and so forth and so forth :cautious:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the problem i have is that nero6 doesnt work with vista.
    if i got vista on my new pc i dont want to have to buy the bloated nero 7.
    i only use the first package of nero6 as it is to cut down on bloat.
    but the folowing products i own work on vista.
    diskeeper 2007 pro
    paragon hard disc manager 8.5
    superantispyware
    kis7.0
    etc etc.
    does opera 9.20 and firefox work on vista?
    anyone know if the HP photosmart 2575 all in one scanner printer works on vista?
    i know the poster above has said there HP stuff works on vista.
    lodore

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    That list does not say much. For instance, I use only 2 of the programs you listed.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Or you could do like I did and get Ashampoo Burning Studio which reminds me of Nero before it went to bloat. I have the 7 version which regularly is $39.95 but they had a pre-order price of only 9.95 (before it was released). I saw a couple of weeks ago that the 6 version is free.

About your HP printer, go to UK HP Support and type in Photosmart 2575. The file name looks to be the same I got for my PSC1510 back in March. As big as the file is (163MB) it must cover several models.

EDIT: I cannot find the free 6.5 version on their website but I found a link to it off of Neowin that works and says that this offer is good until 6/21.

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5

Screenshot

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Funny videos, it nicely shows, how those kids think, that Vista will turn their 3-rd class hardware to work better. Well, that is wrong, because in fact, it will work even worse. [​IMG]

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the infomation midway40:thumb:
    i will check out ashampoo burning studio.
    and i will also look at the hp link
    appears there are drivers for vista for my printer/scanner.
    lodore

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

You're welcome :)

I was trying to find out the differences between 6.5 and 7 and found this:

Only warning is that you will get a lot of "deals" thru your email but if you wait long enough sooner or later they will offer 7 at $9.95 (or whatever equivalent in pounds). Heck they even have an option to "name your price" when you go to purchase off their website. They have one hell of a sales model, lol.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Like wise I only have two of DVD+R's programs. I have a Vista image I play with, but of my major applications 70% of them work, of the utilities I use to tie them together, only 25% work.

Worse yet I had to upgrade my audio drivers, and the new drivers downgraded the audio quality.

And for this I get...... eye candy?

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've actually had a lot less problems with Vista now than I did when XP was first released. At least this time I got to keep all my same hardware.

Vista is actually the first Windows upgrade that I didn't have that happen :) When I upgraded to 2000, they actually refused to make any kind of driver for it, not even a lower quality one.

The other vendors will catch up before too long. In the meantime it seems a little silly to fault Vista for other vendors not catching up in time. It's not like they didn't have ample time to do so before Vista was released. Note that I do certainly understand the frustration, it's why I haven't migrated all of my systems yet, but I don't think that Vista itself sucks just because other vendors have yet to catch up.

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

No way I'm upgrading to Vista. My machine will have it preinstalled or I will have one built for Vista. I'm still waiting......:doubt: ...for a while.....:(

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I already have VISTA on my XP Pro so why should i bother feeding the greedy M$ monster for another new skeleton O/S when i only now have finished filling in all the numerous $M blanks. Plus, who would be so naive to buy a higher-end PC just to run something you can have on XP except core internal functions and put yourself thru all that headache again of getting it the way you expect an operating system to behave for you.

Vista was just a diversion and it will stay that way, and if any money is to be spent for upgrading it will definitely be for hardware on this end to elevate XP even farther beyond anything Vista could hope to achieve.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Be very careful there. Get in writing from HP that they actually have their OWN drivers for your printer for Vista and that you will lose NO functionality by moving to Vista. I got burned badly by HP when I moved from 98SE to XP and HP told me, in writing too, (but in retrospect it was a bit vague and I read into it more than was there), that they had drivers for my HP printer for XP. What they really meant was that my printer could use the XP drivers and a huge amount of functionality of the printer would be lost.

Why would you want to go to Vista anyhow?

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

One specific issue for Vista is that Microsoft have dropped DirectSound 3D hardware support which means that 3D positional audio via soundcard hardware no longer works - resulting in either lower quality sound effects (via software, with a consequent framerate hit) or plain stero output.

Soundcard manufacturers won't be able to work around this with a simple driver update - they need to implement their own 3D audio processing eqivalent which is what Creative have done with their Alchemy software for existing DirectSound 3D/EAX games.

16. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

But Alchemy works with XFi soundcards only. I'm waiting for Audigy support. This
    is the main reason why I don't use Vista.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks mele20 i will find out.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.