"New topic" creating trouble

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by PeterVO, Dec 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

o_O

Hello,

when trying to create a new topic using Opera V7.23, I get the following error:

"This topic doesn't exist on this board. Error start new thread."

Javascript is enabled.

Using Internet Explorer, which I don't like, doesn't give the error message.

Kind regards,

PeterVO

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi PeterVO,

I'm not sure what to advise you regarding this issue because there are other members here using Opera v7.23 without this problem. For example, the users in this thread where one was having trouble using Opera at the NOD32 home page, but they were posting here without a problem:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17685

All I can think is that you should verify all settings related to trusting the forum at both the "wilderssecurity.com" and "www.wilderssecurity.com" addresses (some software handles these as different addresses). Also, check any type of web filtering or local proxy software that might be running which could be interfering with smooth operations here - this includes some software firewalls that have such features.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Also, take a look at these two links:

This is the link to start a new thread (pointing to our Test forum section):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=28;action=post;title=Start%2Bnew%2Bthread

This is an incorrect version of it (at least to my browser):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=28;action=post;title=Start+new+thread

The difference is that the "+" plus signs are what the links look like, but the forum software actually wants to see the hex based character representation of it which is "%2B". Now, what may be filtering it I can't say, but the error you are getting comes from the forum software seeing the version with plus signs...

As a test, try the upper link and see if that let's you start a new topic in the Test Forum. It may not because that actually is the link that sits under the "new topic" button, and if something is filtering the characters when you click the buttons then it probably will filter that link, too.

But, I wanted to point out what the board software actually expects to be passed to it versus what it looks like. When people "mouse over" the two links above, they should look at wherever their browser displays links (in IE it's in the Status Bar at the bottom of the window). These links should look identical with just visible "+" signs, but the forum software does not see them the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.