What's been the least troublesome security software you ever had installed?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Although people have had reported problems with many of the security softwares available today, I was just wondering which ones have had the least amount of problems, and have statistically been the top performers as far as reliabilty? AVG Antivirus comes into mind, at least from what I have read, and Nod32 as well. Then there is from what I have seen in their forum Spyware Terminator's latest couple of releases that have been good. Also Prevx and Blink Personal Edition seem to be more trouble free as of late. How about you old timers in here that have seen them all? Has the software improved in general, or because of new technology are some of them more trouble than they're worth today?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey duke,
    my list is as follows.
    nod32
    AVG when i trialed it.
    superantispyware has been pretty much trouble free
    do you mean trouble free as in stable?
    or do fp's count?
    because Asquared free was trouble free except there was quite alot of fp's
    maybe later on you should do a most trouble secuirty software?
    and i dont mean norton 2004 2005 and 2006 and mcafee older versions since we know they have lots of problems:D
    lodore

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

None of the programs that I have installed have had any major problems. When you say reliable, that may be a loaded question. Some programs will run fine when they are standalone with no other similar programs present at the same time. When you add other programs, then problems show up. That does not mean that the program is bad. It does mean that it is not compatible. However, all programs cannot be made completely compatible unless the same developer created all of the ones on your system (presuming that the coder knows all of the routines and memory allocations of each program). Has software improved? Again, I think the answer can be a subjective one. Security software is made to address potential problems created by malicious attackers. If these attackers did not exist, then the software would be more leaner and run much better I believe. As your increase the complexity and features of programs, you inherently add more avenues for some malware author to attack it. That leads to a vicious cycle. But if you want to experience all of the new features that the new technology makes available, you have to accept the good and bad sides that come with it.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

NOD32
    SuperAntiSpyware

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Well, I wanted to post in favor of NOD, but I see it have some votes already. I bet it'll be a winner here...

Yes, the software is getting better and better, that's the point of new versions. And there will always be some of them which are more trouble than worth, you have to have some kind of balance on the market.

:)

6. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

NOD32 by a country mile.

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I know this thread is for the least troublesome, but maybe we need something to gauge this on. So with that, here's three words for perhaps the most troublesome security software. Zone Alarm Firewall. Although I personally didn't have any problems with some of the earlier versions (4.5, and 6.1) or even a versions or two after I think the first couple of 6.5 ones. This may have been due to so many people using it, but this software has been quite a fiasco for many people for awhile now.

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Most troublesome? Norton Internet Security 2003/4? (don't remember exactly which) I had to restore my backup because of it. It was such a bloat, it took ages to boot, and when I tried to uninstall it, it refused to do so. So I had to kill NIS the hard way.

9. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Blink Personal

10. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Dr. Solomon's AntiViral Toolkit! Does anyone remember Thunderbyte Anti-virus? Also trouble free. Oh yeah, a firewall that taught me quite a bit called ConSeal PC Firewall by a company called Signal 9.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware
    NOD32
    avast

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

System Safety Monitor by a country mile. Not once since first installed have i experienced any problems with it, but i also stopped at version 2.0.6.568. No need for the other additions the added and this one is more than enough 4 my use.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For absolute zero trouble it would be Avast, NOD, SAS, and a-squared.
    For minor problems that were easily corrected I would add AntiVir Premium, and F-Secure IS. I am currently using both without problems.

I also had no problems with LooknStop and Kerio2.1.5 firewalls.
    Edited to eliminate AVGAS due to update problems.

Jerry

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

It's funny you ask this question as I was thinking about asking it or starting a poll. I'm not one of the old timers, but I have to give props to Avast!. It has not had one hiccup yet in 7-8 months. I would love to try Avira, but the stability I'm seeing with Avast! Home is why it stays.

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Like JerryM

I forgot to mention the old version firewall Kerio 2.15, never had any trouble out of it either.

As far as AV's go, KIS6 was the least troublesome 4 me.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Spywareblaster and Superantispyware

17. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

ConSeal's successor is 8Signs Firewall, http://www.8signs.com/

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Like ccsito I rarely have any technical problems with the many software I try so it would be easier to count which ones have given me trouble :)

But since you ask I must say that I am impressed with many HIPS and Prevx in particular. They hook themselves so deep into Windows so sometimes it feels like a miracle that they dont give BSOD´s and stuff.

19. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I have used several progrmans and here a few programs that didnt cause any problems!

Online Armor
    Superantispyware
    Spywareblaster
    NOD32
    Avast
    A-squared
    Comodo Boclean and Comodo firewall pro
    Geswall free

20. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Every software I installed troublefree.
    But sometimes probs with a combination of several apps. and I cannot really blame app. A or B or C etc. for it.
    Maybe myself only ;)

Gerard

21. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

These have all been equally good to me:

Acronis TI (if you consider this security software)
    NOD32
    Look'n'Stop

I only keep those that don't cause headaches (it's not worth it) with the exception of DefenseWall... It's been acting funny sometimes but hard to replace.

22. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2007!

23. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Another NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware vote.

Thanks,

Chris

24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

WinPatrol & Look N Stop

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avast home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.