AVGAS 7.5.1.36 released!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by QBgreen, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Yes, Vista compatibility is in effect. Read all about it right where you'd expect!

2. Steel

Steel Registered Member

Somewhere a changeloag avaible ?

3. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hi there,

Here a short overview about the changes in the new release:

- Windows Vista support
    - Support for 64-Bit editions of Windows (Windows XP 64-bit & Windows Vista 64-Bit)
    - Better reliability + speed of updates
    - Higher priority for paying users on update servers
    - Fixes for many bugs (including high CPU usage + scheduler bugs)

The problem with the slow/unreliable updates will not be fixed at once, it will take some time until the vast majority of the user base has switched to the new version.

The new version will also be released via online-update in the next days. You can either wait for the update or manually download it from:
    http://downloads.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filedir/inst/avgas-setup-7.5.1.36.exe

In any case, a system reboot is required.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  4. Steel

Steel Registered Member

Thanks for Input.

But, no other changes ?:eek:
    I mean, some improvements to the engine ? Things like HIPPS or IDS etc ? Something, that makes AVG AS better in catching risk/malware or things like that ?

I would not like to be ungrateful, but, after 7 months without release no superben improvements on the engine, the real heart of that Program ?

Honestly said, I am nevertheless very much disappointed about this results after an 7 months waiting period

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Works pretty Damn Well here :cool: Steel :cautious: I can see you want both ends of the straw at once :shifty: Well dont be too Hasty they made sure it worked first, not like releasing buggy BETA's that other Companies Do, So Well Done to them in that respect,and as I said, Its up and running with no problems on my Machine :thumb:

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Have AVG AS configured not to start with Windows. In the previous version, when clicking the shortcut on the start menu, the main window pops up, and I could simply close it (close button), and the tray icon and program remained active.
    Now when closing the main window (close button), the program exits - no
    more tray icon. Only way is to not close via the close button
    on the main window, but to 'Hide main window' via the tray icon - then program remains active. It was easier before.

7. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

Downloaded, installed, updated and working pretty damn fine here!

8. Steel

Steel Registered Member

I'm sure, you know exact what i meant. This program lives on its engine. And there apparently nothing changed. Other manufacturers implement HIPPS, IDS whatever. But here the AS engine, after this release, seems the same as before.
    So again, i don't to be ungrateful, but i'm really dissapointed.

9. chew

chew Registered Member

Folks,

I updated with no problem but the right click scan is not working properly.

It used to work fine until few weeks ago and then it stopped altogether. Now with the newer version the problem remains.

Any idea why?

o_O

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Right click scan seems to be OK - but (see my post #6) I must be careful not to close the main window via the GUI close button otherwise program
    exits. Not nice.

11. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Installed V7.5.1.36 Plus on Dell XPS 410, Dual Core Memory, 4 gbytes RAM, Vista Home Premium, 5 Sata Drives, NIS 2007.3, TrojanHunter V4.6.930, SuperAntiSpyware 3.8.1. First full scan of 685,000 objects completed in ~35 minutes. All seems to be working well together. :D

12. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I myself would rather NOT have HIPS etc features added to AVG AS. If I want HIPS I go for PrevX and so on. Remember that a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none :) Also Steel you should note that this really isn't a major version change (look at the numbers ^^) so all the things they now gave us is a real treat considering that IMHO.

Happy to see a new release though :) even though i myself have been lucky enough to avoid most problems some people have. I, as licence holder, am not disappointed.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Will this install over the top of my current version or is a fresh install recommended...o_O :eek: :D

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

So, now we have to have the "guard.exe" always running to start AVG Anti-Spyware!? :(

15. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Assuming you don't have real time protection turned on and you don't want guard.exe running all the time, go to Start, then Run. Type services.msc into the Run box. When in Services, stop AVG Anti-Spyware Guard and change the start up type from Automatic to Manual. Then create a batch file by copying the following into notepad and saving as AVG Anti-Spyware.bat

net start "AVG Anti-Spyware Guard"
    sc config "AVG Anti-Spyware Guard" start= auto
    "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe"
    sc config "AVg Anti-Spyware Guard" start= demand
    net stop "AVg Anti-Spyware Guard"

To prevent the command window appearing every time you open AVG, create a shortcut to the .bat file and in Properties set the shortcut to run Minimized.

16. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

And just as my licence is about to run out, oh well I still have a few days left but after that it will be just the free version for on demand stuff :-( ................... unless of course they extend the licence to cover the last 6 months.

17. strangequark

has anyone done a full system scan on a Vista box yet, I've been scanning for an hour and still in the C:Users\All Users\ Application Data\ Application Data\ Application Data\ Application Data\ Application Data\.................................... and on and on and on and on it goes. It's obviously caught in some type of loop, the same thing happened with Avast and Vista when doing a Boot Time scan, the Avast people had that fixed within a day or two.
    I'd be really interested to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Just got out of the Application Data folder now, only took a little over an hour, normally the whole box would be done in half that time.

Edit: spoke to soon it's now doing it in C:Users\*******\Local Settings\ Application Data\ Application Data\ Application Data\ Application Data\ Application Data\....................................

Turning it off now .... getting bored\getting bored\getting bored\getting bored\getting bored\getting bored\.....................

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Coff,

thanks for the tip ;)

But on this version this is very stupid, since on the last version we can left the service as enabled, instead of automatic, and when we executed the program, the service will also run...

Hope they can fix this annoyance!

19. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Yes, I agree with you. Previously, if the guard service was set to manual start it wasn't a problem starting up AVG.

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Engine upgrades/new features will probably be introduced with the release of AVG 8.0 at the end of the year ;)

Until then, enjoy this version, and a special thanks to Vinzenz and Grisoft for this and for the release of the new version! :)

21. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I agreed with you that this is very stupid to have change this:mad:
    If they don't change it the way it was before and fix that annoyance, I am afraid it will be bye! bye! AVG anti-spyware from my system...

22. strangequark

has no one else experienced a problem with doing a system scan yet, I see siliconman01 did one and all was normal. I just tried again and experienced the same as in my previous post. As soon as it gets to the Application Data folder under any of the User forders, for instance here's 2 ... C:Users\*******\Local Settings\ Application Data\..... and ..... C:Users\All Users\ Application Data\ ... , it goes into a loop as soon as it's finished scanning the Application Data folder it starts again by adding another folder so you get C:Users\All Users\ Application Data\ Application Data\ and so on, it just keeps adding another App Data folder and scans again and again ....................... in a loop.
    A few people had a similar problem with earlier versions of Avast [v4.7.981 I think] and Vista when doing a Boot-Time scan and as I remember it was getting caught in a loop in the same place.

23. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

But can one install the new version over the top of version 7.5.0.50 plus please, and then presumably reboot?

Thanks!

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Why dont you try it and See :cautious:

25. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I gave the new version a run for old time's sake.

It installed in Vista32 perfectly & worked fine with both Nod32 & Prevx2 running. It ran an update with no problems. I then ran a scan which took about 7 mins & completed normally. The scan found nothing, not even a tracking cookie. There seems little point for me to run AVGAS any more, so I've uninstalled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.