Best file explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Geez, I saw your location, but did not look at your signature... what Windows. :oops: ;)

Also, F@H :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recommend...

Pablo Commander - Free, fast, incredibly friendly

A43 - Free, powerful, slick

2XExplorer - Free. Boku no ichi-ban tomodachi! Compadre de mi vida. Damn good horse.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

flinchlock, thanks for bringing up FreeCommander. I had tried it a while back but there were a couple of things that bugged me (no network support being a biggie.) Well, the updated 2007.05 version has that solved and more. I may have found my new file manager... :)

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Total Commander. With it's hundreds of open source plugins you can do mostly everything with it.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

One proble I have faced with Ultrexplorer. I use it in dual panel view. I noticed that it des not remember right panel tab. It always opens Desktop in right panel, no matter what was pened in right panel when I closed it. Is there any way to resolve this issue? Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Aigle,

I couldn't find a "save window contents on exit" option. You could create a few tabs and then when you open UltraExplorer, right-click the right window and then click the tab to switch to that location. Not exactly what you wanted but only requires two clicks.

You might also try sending an email to support (Help -> About -> click the support email link). Please let me know what you find out.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I could not find that option too.
    I will send a mail to them later. It,s infact a very basic feature IMO.

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I have been a long time Xplorer2 lite user but after reading this thread have swapped to free commander as I find it easier to use (I tried Xplorer2 pro, but hated to way folders are compared/synced), much neater in freecommander, this is something that I have done 10 times today already (bug fixing a website which I have a network share to the folder on the webserver), so for me a great help !

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i use xplorer² when i use windows.

in linux i use thunar, nautilus and emelFM2. i've got tux commander too, it comes as a standalone binary, but it sometimes crashes. i've got PCman File Manager too that's like a tabbed version of thunar, but the version i have with suse crashes sometimes too. the ubuntu version works ok though.

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Ultraexplorer has a limited set of labels. Xplorer2 has a large selection.

If you do a lot of complex file/folder operations, FileBoss is a very powerful tool, maybe moreso than Directory Opus.

I have a bunch of these file explorers but I never use them for long. I usually only open them when I want to see hidden files in a directory so I have a context menu command for folders/drives. I use my C:\ drive as my home base rather than my desktop so I have the icons organized in the root window which is something no file explorer can do, AFAIK.

For everyday use I prefer Explorer with shell extensions like FolderPilot (breadcrumb bar), Folderbox (lower directory pane) and Findexer (Mac finder style favorites bar).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.