Best file explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I agree, but it's not cheap at all, even for the upgrades you'll have to pay. :doubt:
    I do like Total Commander a lot, because I've bought it a long time ago and till now I've never paid for an update/upgrade.
    You also have several plugins you can use with it, which make life easier. :cool:

If you want a powerful one, go for Directory Opus.
    If you want a cheap and user friendly file explorer, go for Total Commander.
    I've never tried a free one, but I'm satisfied with the ones I have.

Both are great. :thumb:

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have 2Xexplorer which is free and is dual pane. I like it and have had no problems with it at all. Definitely better than Windows Explorer.

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

XYplorer here too. Locate32 also. Experimented with some in UltimateBootDisk occasionally, yeah, i still mostly use windows explorer still.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Perhaps you will like an update:
    http://netez.com/2xExplorer/
    http://zabkat.com/

5. Firebytes

OK, so I'm a little behind the times. Thanks for the information Pedro I will definitely look into Xplorer2 Lite.

6. Firebytes

Pedro,

I gave Xplorer2 a quick run and it looks pretty much like 2xExplorer, it may have more features and speed (only looked at it very briefly as it's past my bedtime). The one thing I did prefer about the old 2xExplorer is that it requires no installation, you just run the executable. Xplorer2 must be installed to run.

2xExplorer always does everything I need so I am not sure if I will switch or not even though Xplorer2 may be better. I will have to sleep on it. I installed it in shadowmode to test it so when I reboot... it will be gone. :D

7. Dina

Dina Registered Member

if x2 lite came in a zip, then it wouldnt have to be installed as well. x2 lite works just like 2x. i was a long time user of 2x. after installation of x2 lite, you can just copy the exes around (same as with 2x). settings would be reset of course, as they rely on the registry, which you can easily back up anyway.

you can check their boards if you want

http://netez.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=18

8. Basic

Basic Registered Member

i'll add my vote for xplorer². it is a great file manager. it is dual pane plus has tabs. i have been using it since the 2xexplorer days.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I mainly use file managers for file transfers and little else. At this point in time, I use either regular Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer. (I tried Xplorer2 and could never get the 2nd pane to stay open between sessions. Even tried on multiple PCs. Same result.) Even though 2xExplorer is older, for file transfers, it works quite well.

For users of regular Windows Explorer (XP and earlier), there is a free program called FolderBox (6th program down the list at the link below.) It gives regular Windows Explorer the ability to have a second pane, but only when you really want it or need it. Otherwise, it stays out of the way and out of sight. http://www.baxbex.com/products.html (FWIW, OpenExpert listed there is also an excellent program.)

10. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Han,

Go to Tools -> Options -> General Tab -> make sure Save Folder State on Exit is checked (it's the very first option).

I used to run Folderbox but started to have stability and speed issues with explorer, so I removed it from all my computers and everything runs fine now.

11. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

PowerDesk is excellent. However, be prepared for some quirky memory issues. The guts of the program haven't been updated in years. But, it's a great program when all is going smoothly. The file search is especially fast.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It's just what I've been looking for.
    Thanks HAN :)

13. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Directory opus:thumb:

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am a Totalcommander addict since twelve years. I have tried others since they sometimes offer more functionality.
    Xyplorer has nice features, including being able to read any directories. I bought Powerdesk when they offered it for $9 but it was very, very slow on my computer. Opus has a lot of features too. But I always return to Totalcommander. I always miss the right click feature where you mark your file and folders with it when doing copying for example when trying other filemanagers. It makes it really fast to work with for me who like to do most of my stuff with the mouse.
    There are other things like the dual panel, Lister feature and more. Others may have it too but I should not kid my self; I use it because I´ve learned how to use it and dont have the will to learn anything new since it gives me all that I want. Sad but true :)

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

You are welcome!

16. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

I like UltraExplorer, a new and very bright kid on the block:

'The user interface is completely customizable. You can hide or show as many of the featured windows, dock them in other places or let them float as free standing windows. The same is true for the tool bars as well. You can even move buttons from toolbars to other toolbars and assign your own short cuts keys.'

http://mustangpeak.net/subdomains/ultraexplorer/index.html

17. InfinityAz

Pinga,

Nice find. This may replace Xplorer2 on my systems (need to run it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes -- but very impressed so far).

Nice feature is that it can use the lister plug-ins from TotalCommander.

18. InfinityAz

Been playing with UltraExplorer and like it quite a bit. I had a couple of questions/feedback and sent them via the menu option built into the program. The author emailed answers back to both questions in less than 10 minutes. Very impressive response time and the program is free (accepts donations if interested).

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Really very nice find.
    I replaced xplorer2 lite with it. Only issue I found so far is that it loads slower than xplorer2 on my system( xplorer2 lite loads very fast).

20. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Attached Files:

• UE.png
      UE.png
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
    • FC.png
      FC.png
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
  21. flinchlock

After about 15 minutes... I am sold on FreeCommander...

I especially like the Search... I can search .DOC files. For some reason, when I disable/remove Index service in XP, I can NOT search .DOC files! Yea, another service I can remove!

Mike

UPDATE: And, it can NOT read $ISR\0, $ISR\1, ... :thumb: :thumb:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  22. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Probably not the best, but freecommander works when I am on a windows computer and it is portable so it works well on a usb key.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

23. flinchlock

I wish I would of thought of that first! :thumb:

Could you please elaborate?

What? So it is not good on an Atari 400? ;)

I do understand this. :)

Mike

24. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. :D

This is from Windows Explorer, the file pane column options.

Untitled-1.jpg

Can any of the mentioned explorers from this thread do this?

25. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

:D
    I never had really used any of the other ones, so I didn't feel that I had proper experience in the multitude of explorer replacements, so I just said the only one that I had used, so people could try it out.
    Well, on my other computers, I use some good ol' commands, or rox-filer if I am feeling in a graphical mood.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.