Hard Drive clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Meriadoc, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've heard the noise of a hard drive failing before over the years, but I'm having a fast uniform clicking not very loud at bootup for about five - ten seconds. It doesn't sound like a noisey failure and I'm not getting any disk errors though but, sound like impending doom, something starting to go wrong with the spindle? Anyone/repair guys with an idea?

for interest some more noises...
    youtube link - How to see if your hard drive is failing.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Definitely doesn't sound good, i'd say its on its last legs. Time to back it up and start planning the e-funeral :)

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

RUSH! To preserve all the proggys you can before it goes belly up.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would not be worried just yet.
    But you could use one of the diagnostics tools to check your hard disk, like hddhealth or a manufacturer's one. Needless to say, always have your data backed up.
    Mrk

5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

It probably wouldn't hurt to burn a slipstream image CD of your Windows install, including current updates (this scenario assumes you have XP with SP2):
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6150784.html

That said, it's also probably a good idea to create a full disc image as well, as long as you have ample space to store it.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

There are several types of hdd failure. Not all would be preceded by read\write errors. It sounds like you are experiencing (or about to) one of them. As recommended above, time to back up the important stuff and raid the piggy bank for the cost of a new one.

7. Meriadoc

Yeah I always take a regular image:thumb:
    Comparing my noise with the links and the fact that it doesn't last long and goes away I think I have some time. Thanks for the reminder Mrk, I'll down the manufacturer's diagnostics tools and see what it reports but I think you guys are right, it's terminal, what else could it be?

Appreciate the replies.

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

May be just wishful thinking but are you sure it is your hdd. One other item that spins up on start are your fan(s). Have not heard one going bad make a click....but worth checking if you have`t already.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have a computer that used to make one or two single clicks on a drive when I spun it at max. speed - assuming that it was indeed the drive. Last time this happened was about 6 months ago. But it behaves extremely well and hasn't made any noise since.

It could also be related to temperature, a bit of expansion here and there, some parts touching ...? Maybe the angle of the tower?

Touch wood, knock on wood, chop wood ...

Mrk

10. Meriadoc

Yes ThunderZ, as yourself I'm accustom to taking the panel off, its definitely the drive :( . What I'm a little annoyed about this one is just 2-3yr old with average hours I should imagine. Luckily though I have a cheap insurance (couple pounds a month) that'll replace anything - infact I'm up on that as I've had more than I've paid in :) .
    Mrk:
    yeah this is still performing fine and I'm not having any errors. Mmm temperature and expansion? have not really thought of that, as it is on bootup.
    The fan was installed by me and is set up to spin on turbo speed at a certain temp.
    angle? I'll check my position, thanks.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

HD tune is a great free utility that covers most things and give excellent read outs.

http://www.hdtune.com/

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my harddrive was making odd noises a few weeks ago.
    but when i installed my network card i checked inside the case.
    and i saw a really clogged up fan right at the front.
    so i cleaned it out.
    now no more horrible noises.
    so backup your data first.
    run those tools.
    then open your computer case and clean out the dust.
    lodore

13. Meriadoc

lodore:
    Yes I use canned air.

stapp:
    Thanks stapp, of course HD Tune, one of the tools on my UBCD for Windows.

Thankyou for the suggestions.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.