Norton 360

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends I´m trying this software but I have some questions,does it update automatically? where inside the program can I see if it´s updated?
    Thanks for your help;)

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Yes it has automatic updates, and you can look under pc security for the details.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

A couple questions I had-

1. how does Norton 360 handle a found malware? Are there options to configure Norton 360 to clean/quarantine/delete? Or are found malware automatically deleted?

2. is the intrusion protection and firewall the same as in NIS 2007?

3. how does the intrusion protection stack up against that offered by KIS 6.0 and stand alone products such as System Safety Monitor, DSA and Prosecurity?

4. how does the back-up/restore and system clean-up compare to some of the better stand alone products? (system clean-up: Ace Utilities and JV16)

Thanks

4. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I can answer your third question about intrusion protection. Norton 360 does not prompt user with question, it takes the decision whether the program is malicious or not by itself without any notice. SSM, Kaspersky 6 will make sure that everything is run with your premission. Some of the common programs are configured automatically in SSM,KAV (not actually sure about this) . With SSM or KAV your PC will be under your control. You will have difficulty initally but it will be lot more secure. Norton 360 does everything byitself and is made for less techincal users. I hope this helps you. Please correct me if i am wrong.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

"It's so unobtrusive that tech-heads may worry it's not working"

this is one of the reasons i dont like it, and i dont need the backup thing, so it feels like it just 'gets in the way'.

no right click scanning is a downer too, but it is still a great product for sure, i just prefer the NIS2007. :)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2023974,00.asp

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  7. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I am testing this myself. Re the above Norton 360 will try and disinfect then it will quarantine. There is only one option once in quarantine and that is to restore. Norton 360 does not allow you to delete quarantined files. Tech support advised me that it is perfectly safe - all quarantine files will be deleted on uninstall of Norton 360.

It really is a set and forget program.

Great AV - all the lates comparatvies seem to bear this out
    Decent firewall
    Backup is ok - 2GB online storage, can be fully configured to backup specific files
    Optimisation tools are adequate although not as good as others
    Add on pack is worth downloading for spam filter, ad blocking, pop up, privacy control.

The big thing is that Symantec have listened and the whole package is MUCH lighter on resources. To be fair i have not noticed any performance drop between N360 and Avira or NOD32.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  8. acr1965

Thanks for the info. Be sure and post should you have anymore findings. I should be trialing it myself within the next few days.

9. museheart

museheart Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone else has tired Norton 360 also and their reviews:

I wrote this somewhere else:

Every one seems to give Norton 360 great reviews except the users.

One think I do not like about it is that you cannot stop Internet traffic. I like not having to do much but I am forever wondering if it is working.

Another thing that befuddles me:
    "Just One, Not Two -- Never use two firewall or two anti-virus products (or two suites that include them) at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel."

I have Spyware Doctor, which is a big hog and I really don't like it. I am not using it but I also have Privacy Guardian and Registry Mechanic which I do like. I wonder if it is safe to use these as well as BoClean and Spyware Blaster?

I also notice that after Norton 360 cleans out things, Privacy Guardian will clean out a lot more. ?

I was going to try NIS07 and had downloaded it but now they say I only have so many days and I have not installed it.

Everyone says getting Norton off your computer is a hard task. I had PC-Cillian Internet Security but did not like it very much except to say that they have very good technical support. I have used Norton before and they had terrible tech support, I don't know if that has changed.

Also, I notice the price from Norton is about $89. and I see that there are lesser prices at other places but if I keep it, I do not want to uninstall and have a bad experience.

Didn't mean to write a book. :eek:

Thanks, Margaret

10. acr1965

I wrote this review for an online site. It is not a techie review but more of an end user one. Needless to say, I have uninstalled Norton 360 and went back to NOD32/firewall combo. I think I would have kept running 360 had it not been for the mandatory toolbar. It can be disabled, but not without creating a security risk.

http://techsupportalert.com/review-norton-360.htm

11. museheart

What do you mean by "the mandatory toolbar?" I have not seen that.

12. acr1965

360 has an anti-phishing toolbar installed by default. You can disable it and hide it in your browser if you choose. But the 360 icon will have a red X on it and remain that way. When I ran 360 with the toolbar it seemed to slow down my surfing speed the longer I was online. Maybe it does not have that effect with others. But I normally do not suffer surfing speeds unless something weird is going on.

13. museheart

I am looking at my Firefox browser now and I do not see such a thing.

Are you talking about IE? I never use it.

M

14. acr1965

Must be IE only then unless FF has it hidden. I believe the phishing filter is enabled/disabled in the security settings of 360 if I remember correctly.

15. museheart

Must be hidden well, I can't find it.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

If 360 is anything like NIS 2007,why don't you just hide the phishing toolbar instead of completely disabling it? Right click in IE's menu area and uncheck "show norton toolbar". When you enter a phishing site the toolbar will appear and warn you, once you leave the site it will disappear again.

The only time I have noticed slow downs with Norton's anti-phishing toolbar is when I have both it and IE's anti-phishing running.

@ museheart

AFAIK the toolbar only works with IE.

17. museheart

I rarely use IE and have yet to see that tool bar.

18. museheart

Have you trialed it yet? If so, what do you think?

19. acr1965

I trialed it but went back to NOD32 and Online Armor 2. Here is a piece I wrote up about it- http://techsupportalert.com/review-norton-360.htm

It's not a technical type review, but more of an end user/casual user review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.