Terminolgy "gap" . . . ."verify" versus "check"??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BobJ, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobJ

BobJ Registered Member

There must be a terminology "gap" between various builds of TI9, because mine (build 2259, admittedly an old one) doesn't have a "Verify Archive" selection, but rather it has a "Check Archive" selection. I am assuming this is the same thing.

In GroverH's Beginner's Guide to Backups, figure B9 shows "Archive Validation", but it's for build 3666.

I also looked in the TI9 User Guide that came on my TI9 CD, and in Section 4.3.5 "Additional settings", it says "You can choose to check the backup data integrity. Verification will be performed immediately after the archive is created..", but it lists a "Check Archive" selection.

So, the question: Is "Check Archive" in TI 9, Build 2259 the same as "Archive Validation" in TI9, Build 3666o_O

P.S. I will update my build, but I have an archaic dial-up connection, so I'll have to get somebody with broadband to download it for me and then I'll copy it over to a USB Flash Drive and install it on my machine.

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I would assume these are the same. However I would suggest that you just worry about the latest build available for download. The old builds have been superseded because they had problems, and if you don't update you may run into a problem right at the worst moment.

I realise this must be a pain if you use dialup, but the alternative consequences could be far worse.

F.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, they are the same thing and are based on calculating a checksum(s?) and comparing with the one(s?) created and stored in the archive file when it was made.

As I have said before, doing a validation means the archive can be read, the checksum calculated and compared to the stored value. If garbage data was read from the disk the checksum would be calculated based on that data and thus the validation knows nothing about bad data if it is not flagged by the OS (such as can't read sector XXX) during archive creation time. Also, if memory was flakey when the archive was created it could also result in a bad checksum.

Typical PCs assume that the disk is always written properly so unless there is a serious problem with the disk you won't know about a bad write until you try to read. For this reason running chkdsk /r on all partitions from time to time before making an archive is a good idea.

In other words, the validation says the archive file is readable and is the same as when it was created. It doesn't guarantee that everything in the archive is perfect, just that it is what the TI "write disk" routine was presented with when the archive was created. TI and virtually every other program rely on your hardware being 100% solid.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

It is not unusual for Acronis to change words or functions with new versions.

The important part of validating is to make sure you include the Restore CD as part of the validation procedure. If restoring your system drive or a drive replacement, it is done using the Restore CD so you have to know for sure that your Restore CD recognizes all your drives and has validated your backup files. However, some people (such as Xpilot) choose not to validate because they do an immediate restore onto an alternate drivecaddy and remove the original so they know the results immediately.

I, too, am on 56K dialup. When I have a long download, I find my quickest solution is to visit our local library (4 miles away) with my FlashDrive and do the downloading there. Anything under 25Meg I can handle on dialup via a download manager while I sleep.

An pdf example of some of the options used in V9, build 3,666 can be found here. The images are not numbered but its image #7 which shows info about validations. 1.5meg download
    http://206.128.27.80/gh-misc/acronis-options.pdf

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BobJ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, as seekforever said the terms "Check" and "Validate" backup archive refer to the same process in different versions of Acronis True Image. Using this too you can check backup archive integrity. Check this post to find the information on how the backup archive validation works.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.