Startup order question!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I believe I've seen freeware that can be used to arrange the order in which programs start. If that is the case or if it can even just be edited with windows, what should have first priority, the firewall or anti-virus? Any links? Thank You!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Exactly, thank you! I'll download and install this after work tonight. Now I just need to determine whether to set the firewall or anti-v to load first.

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I'd suggest loading the firewall first. Some malware runs at a services level and can gain internet access before windows even finishes loading. The earlier a firewall loads, the better.

There's little to be gained by starting an AV any earlier than normal. PCs don't get infected during bootup. The only way malicious code would get into a system during startup was if it was being installed by already existing malware that also starts up early.
    Rick

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

herbalist touched on something I was thinking about...

I would urge caution on tweaking when services are involved. Unless one has a good understanding of how they interact and depend on each other, a user could end up with a PC that is pretty messed up.

IMO, the items located in the startup tab of msconfig would be the only items I'd consider tinkering with...

6. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I've seen this type of software. It's funny, they roughly work by installing themselves as the first to load, then assigns the other processes to run in the order you put them. Essentially, you're adding another process to startup. Best way is to not use them.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I do find that this type of app does help startup-booting process more smoothly and orderly. You will notice those low-level apps not fighting one another to startup. Space them apart by few more seconds will ease up some traffic congestion problems. The end result , you save significant time by doing this.

8. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I installed startup delayer quite some time ago. It's still installed but I'm not using it. From a security standpoint, there's not much to be gained from this. It could be useful if you have startup problems from too many things loading at once. IMO, that kind of problem is better fixed by getting rid of some of the entries.

You might also check out Mike Lin's startup control panel applet. Instead of specifying delays, it lets you choose what autostart location you want to use for different apps. It also allows you to disable startup items individually without losing the entries. It's quite useful for sorting thru startup problems.
    Rick

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For in-depth control of start-up sequencing, conditional start-up, etc, I use & recommend X-ecutor. Free for private use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.