Unable to install ESS on Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by mmac, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmac

mmac Registered Member

Ok, so here is my problem. I haven't found any info on here that helped. I was running Nod32. I uninstalled it through progs & features in the control pannel, rebooted the machine and then went to install it. got nearly to the end (installing drivers) and then the ESS rolls back. I don't get any specific error messages the installer just tells me that it encountered an error and the program didnt install. I have tried reinstalling NOD32 and uninstalling NOD32 using its own uninstaller, I've tried disconnecting from the internet, turning off Windows firewall and Defender, I've tried it with UAC on and off. I've tried it with the built in Administrator account and my account with admin. privileges. Any ideas?? Are there any logfiles that ESS dumps?

My specs are as follows:
    Core Duo 1.6
    1GB ram
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

Cheers!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please run the installation package as follows and send the log created along with a link to this thread to support[at]eset.com:
    ess_nt32_enu.msi /lvx* install.log

3. mmac

mmac Registered Member

Ok, did that yesterday. Any news on what the problem could be?

4. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I have the same problem on Vista Enterprise 32-bit. When the process comes to "Installing Drivers" it rollbacks. I tried everything, installing with UAC thurned off/on, playing with file permisions, closing every program in tray, disabling windows FW etc.

Maybe this info could help:
    I disabled Windows Installer Rollaback in Windows Group Policy. ESS didn't rollback during the installation, it said that setup ended with error and system was not modified. But after restart ESS started and I got prompt to add new network to trusted zone, I pressed No and I got error that FW module can't start and it won't work. AV and Anti-Spam modules worked, but I couldn't update. Then I tried to install/reinstall all ESS drivers manualy from "C:\Program Files\Eset\Eset Smart Security\Drivers". All drivers installed without error except "epfwndis" for which I got message "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" after pressing Right Click->Install.

I hope this helps ;)

5. mmac

mmac Registered Member

Wow, didn't even think of that. I'll give that a try this weekend and see if I can produce similar results.

As an aside, any idea what epfwndis does?

6. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend disabling of Windows Installer Rollback. Acording to MS it can make your system unusable if installation fails.

Quote from MS:
    epfwndis is miniport driver for ESS Firewall.

I posted that to help ESET find the reason why ESS Install is failing on some Vista systems. That was NOT recommendation for users.

Let's wait for ESET's sugestion ;)

7. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

I've managed to install epfwndis driver.

When mmac asked me what is the purpose of epfwndis, it striked me when I saw that it is actually miniport driver, because I knew how miniport drviers should be installed through Network Connections panel. But even with epfwndis installed FW and Updates aren't working :(

I hope ESET will fix this problem soon.

EDIT: In the Event Log I found following entry:
    During that period 15:00-15:10 I was trying to install ESS, so maybe this is related with the problem.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

Just to share my experiece : This morning after I updated my graphic card's nVidia driver, ESS wouldn't install at all. I had to rollback the install and ESS installed with no problem. So, it's possible that a driver conflict that should absolutely not exist, in fact happens. So for all of you who have problems installing, double check and tryupdating/downgrading your drivers, it may help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.