Sandboxie v2.86 deleted "My Documents"

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ErikAlbert, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I hate to tell this, but during testing the sandbox as described on this webpage
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?TestingTheSandbox
    the complete folder "My Documents" on my Data Partition [D:]
    disappeared before my eyes when I clicked on this folder to open it.
    It was completely gone with all its subfolders.

I had to mount an image on my external harddisk to recover it.
    I'm lucky I backup my data partition daily, so I didn't lose anything.
    Such behaviour is unacceptable. I can't trust Sandboxie anymore. I uninstalled it. :(

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did u check the log of Sanboxie? Or its contents?

3. ErikAlbert

Too late man. I uninstalled it. No software does that to me without being punished.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

You sure the problem is not the wetware? :D
    Did you ask tzuk?
    May save some others problems?

5. ErikAlbert

What means wetware ? (English isn't my first language)

6. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Thanks for posting this. That thing just flew off my "try and maybe keep" list forever :)

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hardware = Hardware
    Wetware = Belgian Bioplasm = ErikAlbert ;)
    Your English is fine.

Seriously, did you post at Sandboxie forums.?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"Punished" Erik? :D Those special folder's are a bit sketchy anyway. Best not to keep important item's there.

Steve

9. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Ready... fire... aim... Kids! o_O

Mike

10. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Erik...lucky you did have a back up.

OTH, don't want to bash the proggie but I unistalled SB from this box almost a year ago for similar reasons (the bugger deleted files I had in one of my drives just out of the blue, for no reason...gee that pissed me off big time!) and for crashing my box due to software incompatibility issues.

Anyway, I also feel it doesn't run well under LUA (lim. user acc.), and for me LUA is one of the first security measures to be put into practice in any Windows box. No way, I would run SB under Admin.

I no longer use this thing. It has very positive points and one can surf very safely even in the dark side but the cons are too serious to be ignored.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you sure that the problem is Sandboxie or the steps it to move My Documents. If I were you I'd want to be sure or you might find something else does the same thing to you. Sounds like something made Sandboxie think the whole of your my documents was sandboxed and so it got deleted when you did the delete step.

You could be right, it could be a problem with Sandboxie, but it also could something else, and you might want to consider really understanding what happened.

Pete

12. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I do really doubt too, Erik that running Sandboxie has nothing to do with you loosing whatever you had in your D drive! It sounds so wierd that I cannot say much more than it is really wierd to happen?
    Jarmo

13. ErikAlbert

I'm 100% sure it was Sandboxie, I wasn't doing anything else and no I wasn't drunk, if that means wetware.
    Opening the folder "My Documents" isn't the same as deleting the folder "My Documents".
    The folder just disappeared after clicking it, without any warning, without any confirmation and without using any function, than clicking on it.
    I can't trust such a software, no matter what the cause was. A software doesn't delete your entire folder "My Documents" just like that. That is unacceptable. So I unstalled it and won't use it again. This was its second chance and SB blew it.
    Long ago I uninstalled it too, because it didn't function properly on my old computer. This time it worked properly until this happened.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that is unaceptable im just glad you got your data back.
    its a bit like when my documents got deleted by the thunderbird profile manager
    im still looking for a replacement to thunderbird
    lodore

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Rofl :D

Seriously, and with all due respect, i have experienced only problems with Sandboxie no matter what version but yours is a first and the most extreme issue i seen yet. :eek:

(although i'm again tempted to v2.64 once more) under POWER SHADOW!

16. ErikAlbert

Well my disaster with Sandboxie, might be a reason for me to use PowerShadow after all. I will think about it.

17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Geeez....I just sent them my $25 to register. I keep good backups, so I will try it for awhile. That is really disappointing. I tried Green Borders also, and it was very buggy. I could not even get a green border.

I thought Sandboxie was the answer. It is a great idea, but only if it works.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well, POWER SHADOW! certainly won't suddenly delete folders/files on any drive like that.

PS only removes folders/files/settings from shadowed runs and either on a single partition of your choosing or the whole volume= "all partitions". But it will never remove anything that you've already had established on your system before entering Shadow-Mode. The whole purpose of PS is to preserve not to eliminate.

Experiencing such a program failure like that from any soft is completely punishable by banishment and hits my permanent black-list of apps never to touch again.

19. ErikAlbert

You got that right. Good grief, Sandboxie destroyed 80% of my HARD WORK in one hit. The killdisk virus would do the same on my system partition.
    A software that does that to me is finished on my computer, no matter what other people think, I have my principles, that's why I stay out of trouble.
    I'm not happy that this happened, because I started to like Sandboxie and I was planning to use it in my frozen snapshot, but not anymore after this.

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Erik. Must be a true PITA.

But:
    Seems to me, at first glance, that anyone who keeps My Documents in C:, where it is default, nothing bad should happen.

Because you moved the directory, that must be the problem. Has to be.

I keep SB. I had no problems with it.

21. ErikAlbert

That might be the cause indeed, it crossed my mind too.
    I have my own reasons to put my data on a separate harddisk/partition and that is more important to me than Sandboxie.
    After all there are other similar softwares to replace Sandboxie.
    I also ditch any software that doesn't like FDISR and many FDISR-users do exactly the same. :)

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

As much as i continue to enjoy POWER SHADOW and fond of it's tremendous benefits and production in my studies & research, if it or any other program even hints at making issue with FD-ISR and the snapshots/archives, you can bet that program is going to become immediatedly deported as in (ERASER) 7 passes, outta here, history. Same goes for anything that auto-deletes my documents folders/files without my explicit permission to do so.

23. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

This is really bizarre.
    I'm not doubting Erik's painfully bad experience, but it sounds so odd.
    Unless something's horribly wrong.........
    Someone should post a query to Tzuk.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik could you post exactly what you were doing. I'd like to try duplicating your steps and see what happens.

Pete

25. ErikAlbert

IMO Sandboxie is developped in a standard environment : a standard PC with only one harddisk and one partition [C:] with EVERYTHING on it and all data are stored under "My Documents" on [C:] and that's why Sandboxie will function on most computers without problems, because SB has been created and tested on such a standard PC and minor problems on standard PC's were fixed during the years.

Once you don't have the standard PC anymore, like me, you better watch out when you start using Sandboxie. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.