What Im Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mata7, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Erik sorry but I need you help one more time, I was reading the manual but I can’t see how to do it

can you please guide me on how I update a freeze snapshot or what do I have to do, for example I have I freeze snapshot and I install windows update, after I reboot I will lose that update and have to update it again, so how I do it?

Thanks for your help

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

First of all, a frozen snapshot is a total different world, than a normal snapshot.
    A frozen snapshot does NOT allow ANY CHANGE during REBOOT, which means that not only the BAD changes are removed, but also the GOOD changes, like Windows Update.
    FDISR doesn't see the difference between GOOD and BAD changes, it removes ALL changes.
    It is very important that you have this constantly in mind, when you are working with a frozen snapshot.

After executing Windows Update or an updating of any other legitimate software, you have to RE-FREEZE your frozen snapshot.
    In other words you have to use the function "Freeze" under "Actions", which acts as an UPDATING of the "Freeze Storage.ARX". This should work, but I noticed that this method doesn't always work like it should be.

The best method in practice and which always works AFTER any updating is this :
    1. Unfreeze
    2. Reboot
    3. Freeze
    4. Reboot

It might be possible that another method also works, but I don't know them.

Keep in mind that I'm also working with a frozen snapshot CONSTANTLY and I still have to figure out HOW to work with a frozen snapshot, because it is very different from a normal snapshot.
    Re-freezing is easy, but if you don't pay attention, you can re-freeze BAD changes also and you can't afford that. You have to keep your FREEZE STORAGE absolutely CLEAN and this is more difficult than you might think. Don't underestimate this re-freezing.
    The bottom line is : the TIMING of re-freezing is important.
    Keep also in mind that each ANCHORING makes a frozen snapshot more and more vulnerable for infections.

Read also these links :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170989
    This link gives a possible solution to keep your primary snapshot as clean as possible, but this is not a frozen snapshot anymore.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172114
    This link proves that using "Freeze" wasn't enough.

PS.: As far as I noticed, nobody is discussing Freeze and Unfreeze at this forum, because not many users use a frozen snapshot, because it is so different from a normal snapshot.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  3. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks again erik, i fallow this step and everyting went well

1. Unfreeze
    2. Reboot
    3. Freeze
    4. Reboot

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Very good. It's a bit cumbersome, but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.