What Im Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mata7, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

1- Install FirstDefence

2- Copy/update new snapshots

3- Now I have 2 snapshots the default, and the new one that I just create

I install a program X and change the wallpaper so I can test if fistdefence bring my comp back to when I create the snap

4- Reboot the comp, press F1 to select the snap, or right click on the snap on windows and select boot to the snap

5- after the comp reboot, I Select the new snap that create, comp goes into windows, and the program X and the wallpaper still there, it dint change to the way the I create the snap

So what am doing wrong, I know my English really suck but I hope some understand and help me out

Windows Vista
    FirstDefence 3.20 build 202

Thanks in advance

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

mata,
    You must have done something wrong, I will explain how it works.

After installing FDISR you have ONE snapshot, called primary, this is your WORK snapshot for daily usage.
    You immediately create the second snapshot, called secondary, this is your ROLLBACK snapshot, which is used
    when you have troubles in the WORK snapshot.

If you install a program in the WORK snapshot and you don't like it, then you boot in your rollback snapshot.
    Then you copy/update FROM rollback snapshot TO work snapshot and the program will be gone COMPLETELY, as if it was never there.

If you install a program in the WORK snapshot and you like it and want to keep it,
    then you copy/update FROM work snapshot TO rollback snapshot

If you install a program in the WORK snapshot and this new program corrupts your work snapshot very badly,
    then you reboot, press the F1-key, choose the rollback snapshot and boot in it.
    Then you copy/update FROM rollback snapshot TO work snapshot, which will fix the work snapshot.
    Then you reboot in the work snapshot and you are back in business.

Never work with only one snapshot, always MINIMUM 2 SNAPSHOTS, otherwise you will kill the Immediate System Recovery function.
    The copy/update function creates always IDENTICAL snapshots and the source snapshot will decide what the destination snapshot will be.

Take time enough to learn FDISR, because nobody learns FDISR in just one day.
    The more you use it, the more you learn how it works and then you can start improvising with FDISR.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm rather new with it myself but wouldn't it be worth mentioning that even when starting out to in addition of the 2 initial snapshots, Primary/Secondray, wouldn't it help and be of good practice to also at the same time afterwards create by Copy/Update a couple of archives of those both?

Like i said, far beit from me to being proficient in this treasure but wouldn't the archives also serve as a kind of safeguard measure when starting out?

Listen to Erik, Pete, and those other guys like acadia & others who been around the block with it far longer than i have LoL. But that seems to me a good first approach as well.

All The Best EASTER

4. ErikAlbert

You are right EASTER, but that's not the way how FDISR starts after the installation. Once a newbie is familiar with work and rollback snapshot, he can learn how to archive and how to use all the other functions.
    I also used a work and rollback snapshot in the beginning, but once I understood how FDISR works, I changed everything.

A work and rollback snapshot is GOOD ENOUGH to have an Immediate System Recovery solution.
    You can't explain EVERYTHING in a post, otherwise I have to copy the USER MANUAL in a post.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree with Erik. Learn the program and gan confidence with it using two snapshots. THen once you have the concepts down, move on to archives.

Pete

PS Easter, I agree with you about the archives, but you have to grasp the concepts first. Once you do the sky's the limit.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ok guys thanks for your great help, I read all you comments and cause English is my second language I get maybe 65%

So what you guys say is

1 Snap saves "DONT TOUCH OR MAKE ANY CHANGE"

2 snap use for daily base and install programs there, if I like any of the programs, boot to the Save One install the program there and then copy/update again and save and don’t touch it again

Thanks again

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

woow I just start get it, I copy and update from my first snap to the work snap and that program X and the wallpaper are complete gone, now if I hit a malware or virus it will be the same effect, Are they gone forever from my comp?

Thanks for your help guys, what a great program, and the copy/update was just a min or 2, I trough it will take 20 min like the first time

i probably will have more snap, my C: Drive is 100GB so how care about space

8. ErikAlbert

If you have a CLEAN rollback snapshot and you copy/update FROM rollback snapshot TO work snapshot, all infections in your work snapshot are GONE, because these infections are considered as CHANGES by FDISR.

All activities where NEW snapshots/archives are involved take MORE time.
    Once the snapshots/archives do exist, copy/update works alot FASTER.

9. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Thanks Erik thank you very much for you help, just one more question and I won’t bother you anymore, I promise:)

If I freeze one snap, every time that I reboot my comp it wills auto rollback to the freeze snapshots?

10. ErikAlbert

Yes a frozen snapshot remains unchanged AFTER each reboot.
    A frozen snapshot has a blue star.

When you reboot, FDISR does an automatic invisible copy/update FROM freeze storage.arx TO your frozen snapshot and this will CLEAN your frozen snapshot.
    You will notice that the reboot will take a little longer, because the automatic copy/update happens behind the WELCOME screen of Windows.

You can have only ONE frozen snapshot in FDISR.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, we experienced users had also our newbie time. ;)

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

mata7, Erik and others;) have turned FDISR insideout while using and discussing it - ask away, nice to see new FD users:thumb:

12. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Thanks for all you help, I got now everything working well, I love that freeze think :)

13. ErikAlbert

Me too, you can test any software, just reboot and it is gone.

If you do this with a computer without FDISR, your computer is full of garbage after awhile.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Your english is just fine, mine on the other hand runs letters over sentences sometimes, LoL.

mata7, you will have a massive field day with this program. Theres no better excitement since the first real working computer than to possess an ability to create/re-create SEVERAL additional/different working configurations of your choices of snapshots that offer us the liberty of accessing any of them at will, and they are perfectly intact.

A very Logical innovation that is finally PROVEN to easily excell far beyond the ordinary architechture of what we all been restrained from turning to in event of diaster, an immediate recovery capability. :)

15. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Before this, I was using rollback but I start having snapshot corruption and I could handle any more and uninstalled and format and move on

16. ErikAlbert

Yes, RollbackRx is an adventure with all kinds of problems. I call it LollBackRx, the one without Image Backup software.

17. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I create a copy/update snapshot today from my default snap, this time I select a new compress snap, everything went well no errors or nothing on the log, but after select boot to that snap the comp reboot and after pass the first defense screen and goes to the black screen my comp wont boot to windows I can’t even see the windows log screen, I have to press control. alt.delet, the comp reboot and I have to select Oder snap cause it won’t boot to the new snapshot that I just create, I guess that mean that the snap was create bad, but I got no errors or nothing after create it, is this maybe cause I use compress snap?

went i create this snap i was on the Work snap, do i have to be on the default snap to be able to create a new snap

Thanks in Advance

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mata

I've never used the compressed snapshots as diskspace isn't an issue for me.

I would first try to just do another copy/update to that snapshot, and see if that helps. Then I would try creating an uncompressed snapshot, and see if that is good. If it is I would again try the compressed snapshot and see what happens. If you still can't boot to the compressed snapshot, I would contact Raxco support. It may be a bug.

Pete

19. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

well no matter how many time I create a new snap it won’t boot, I create like 4 and every time same problem it won’t boot, thus 35 min for snap, it start irritate me :( , i use newsnapshot

20. ErikAlbert

Is the service "Volume Shadow Copy" set to manual on your computer ?

21. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

yes erik should i set to automatic?

22. ErikAlbert

No. Manual is good enough. Mine is also manual.

I installed build 202 myself, because I was curious to see the new splash screen.
    I created a compressed snapshot.

Size of normal off-line snapshot = 3.16 gb
    Size of compressed off-line snapshot = 2.35 gb
    Difference = 0.81gb or 25.63% less space and that's what I expected (about 30%).

I booted in that compressed snapshot and everything worked normal.
    What did you do to your computer, because mine is working normal even with the new splash screen.

23. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

This is what I did now

I import the first snap that I backup yesterday to a different hard drive, then after import it I update that snap with the one today and that work, boot without problems

24. ErikAlbert

Do you use Import/Export or Copy/Update ?

25. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

before i use copy/update but that dont know why dint work, everytime the comp wont boot to that snap

now what i did, i just import/export first the one i have backup, then i copy/update from my default snap to the one i just import and that work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.