workgroup not accessible?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by webyourbusiness, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

maybe it's a coincidence, but since installing ESS I can't access the workgroup I have my home machines one. I've tried re-naming the machine, rebooting, renaming again, rebooting - enabling all protocols - turned off filtering, all to no avail.

The workgroup is there - I can see it - but not get a list of computers inside the workgroup... that phase almost locks the machine and then comes back with an error.

any ideas? I'm about ready to remove ess and put back windoze firewall and regular nod32.... while this MIGHT not fix the problem, I was using shared network folders just two days ago - and installed ESS yesterday...

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i have no trouble accessing workgroup . try to disable ess firewall

3. webyourbusiness

tried that

4. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

oops.. sorry didnt read carefully :D well i see a little slowdown when opening workgroup but i can access it.

5. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

maybe you still have scheduled tasks over lan enabled?

nice speedup for network browsing (XP)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
    @="Scheduled Tasks"

6. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I had this at first. The first thing ESS asks you is if you wish to add a 'local subnet' (words like that...I can't remember now) that it "doesn't recognise" to the trusted zone. That is your local 'domain'. If you deny this, you won't be able to access you network (or at least..I couldn't). Reversing that decision (easiest for me was to re-install) solves the problem and doesn't appear to compromise the firewall as far as the outside world is concerned. That's my experience anyway - I allowed the subnet and now run in interactive mode, with 'True Stealth' rating from GRC and GRC Leaktest 'Pass'.

7. webyourbusiness

I'll try the reinstall after I get through building my new pc - thanks for the tip JeremyWW

8. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Registered Member

Hmph, I have a different story...

Seems ESS gets confused with different definitions of LAN computers.

I installed ESS the same day on both my home network PC's, my laptop from where I am writing now, and my a-bit-antiquated-nowadays desktop. They are connected through a common router and reach the outside Internet jointly / with DHCP.

Now, in both the initial installations I elected to put those computers in the safe zone. Then, the workgroup list wouldn't work - I had to run the "Home Networking Wizard" and setup sharing etc again in the computer(s) affected - Sometimes one of them, sometimes both -, and after reboot, it would properly see my workgroup.

This seems to happen at random times, for instance now I can't access my desktop PC from the workgroup lists here, but I can access it or its shared contents through \\desktoppcname.

I trust its a glitch...But could make things a nightmare if this happens in a truly multiple-pc environment, so it should be looked at...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.