Process explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nixie21, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Can someone explain the difference between private bytes and Working set?

Thanks!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

All I know is that Working Set is equivalent to Mem Usage in Task Manager and Private Bytes is equivalent to Task Manager's Virtual Memory.

If you want technical definitions:

3. nixie21

So working set is actual ram usageo_O

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just editted my post, check it again.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello :)

Private memory is RAM used (on chips).

Working set is the part of swap file currently used (not maximum available).

Cheers.

6. Mem

Mem Registered Member

From my limited understanding, private bytes are the current number of bytes a process has allocated that cannot be shared with other processes—in other words, how much non-shared memory the process is using. This memory is more important than shared memory when multiple processes execute on a machine and are the primary counter for measuring memory leaks and overall memory usage. This corresponds to the VM Size column in Task Manager. Some of this memory could be swapped to disk at some point and not affecting other apps in RAM. Still, this is the amount of memory the app uses in a non-shared way and is important to minimize as if it grows appreciably over time it represents a memory leak.

Mem Usage in Task Manager refers to the number of pages of virtual memory committed to a given process, both shared and private - also called the working set. This is what is being kept in RAM at the time it is measured. This will fluctuate over time as compared to VM Size which shouldn't.

You can use perfmon to measure private bytes and working set and graph out to see application memory performance.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Private bytes= page file used
    Working set= ram used

It,s my understanding. I think you reversed it.

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi. :)

Yes, I stand corrected. I've done some reading, and you are right. I was a bit quick again... :doubt: The working set is RAM...

9. nixie21

Wow, this is confusing i think..

SO working set = actual ram used (so if I have a 256k of ram, and working set says 56k, I have 200 left), easy as that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.