One Suite vs AV, HIPS, FW, AS, +++

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nixie21, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Ok, I am running OA v2 w/FW, Prevx1 and NOD32, great protection I believe...

My question is this:

Is a suite full suite such as KIS better or equal protection than the above listed?
    What is the total resource usage of a suite like KIS?

Your thoughts...

2. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I think that most people agree that individual programs can be mixed and matched to provide more complete protection. That said, the convenience of a suite is just nice.

I haven't tried it, but have you considered OA2 plus FW plus AV? That seems fairly comprehensive.

KIS 6 seems to get a lot of praise in this forum too. I went to the kaspwersky website, KIS 6 looks VERY comprehensive.

Again, I haven't used either. But those are 2 that come to my mind right away.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nixie, you have a setup to make people drool. If the computer handles it normally, forget suites. No suite can beat what you have.
    Great FW, with some HIPS that cover program execution, etc., NOD32 one of the best AV's, and Prevx1 monitoring pretty much everything, checking with an online database.

4. nixie21

The problem is the system does seem slower since putting these in motion. Prevx1 is using a ton of ram, support has no clue and says it is NOD, not true. So instead of changing one at a time and playing around, I thought of trying a suite and seeing how that works.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Have you tried disabling the program part of OA? If that's not it, then a choice is in order.

6. nixie21

The program part? Does that mean all but the firewall? I shutdown OA completely anf Prevx1 was still running at over 50mb (for the 2 processes)

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

he means the Program Guard of OA.

anyways KIS is one of the better suites out there. If it runs well on your computer and you like it, then go for it.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No, i mean the "programs" tab, in OA's GUI. It covers program execution. Prevx1 is already doing this, and more, and NOD is also scanning on execution.
    The memory problem is only problematic if you don't have much. The important part is slow down or not imo. Which could be cause by overlap of functions.

9. nixie21

Thanks, I will try that tonight when I get home. I hope that is what is causing the slowdown, if it is I owe you a drink!

I do have a gig of ram so it is not so much of how much it is using, but when I read that people have it using 10-13 and I am at 50 it bothers me!

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I had those figures too, 50. But no slow down.
    If that won't do it, then it's either something i haven't come across (the only way i get things...), or choice time.
    If it's Prevx1 the candidate to leave, consider BOClean, or a sandbox, depending on your needs/ preferences. With SandboxIE, you feel invulnerable while browsing.:D

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I prefer separated and specialized programs instead of only one...
    And using only one can be more easy to be disabled by malware...

12. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

When I recently trialed KIS, version 6.0.2.614, it ran at only ~18MB and no CPU usage, except while running the av scan, which is expected anyways and even at that I was still able to do other productive activities while the scan was running. IMO, it is an awesome suite. If I used one, it would be my first choice, though I am looking forward to trialing the first available public beta of ESET's suite.

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Running KIS6 now, uses about 10,000k for the suite, which I think is very reasonable.
    By the way, KIS7 is in Beta only right now. Can only get better.
    Also running Prevx1 which is using between 8 to 12,000k on average.
    Runs great with KIS.
    I did shut off the network protection in Prevx to avoid any possible conflicts with the firewall in KIS.
    It's funny, both these programs use less memory then most firewalls alone.
    When I tested Comodo, which I liked, it used 25,000k on my puter.
    All the Best, Dan:cool:

14. nixie21

The fix did not work :(, anyway I decided to try KIS to see what it is all about...looks good, but mine is running at 39mb + 9 mb for the 2 processes.....

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Give it some time.
    When I installed the latest version a couple of weeks ago, 6.0.2.621, it did the same thing then settled down.
    If you have any problems you can always go to the Kav forum:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?

Very good and helpful people there.
    After it learns your system it should be fine.
    Also, depending on your computer, there are a few settings that can be changed to make it work faster and better.
    All the best and good luck! :cool:

16. nixie21

Thanks posted over there....when you say 'learn your system' how long on average would that take?

Thanks

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Not long at all really.
    Would do a full scan and I change a few of the settings for my computer and that's about it.
    eg. in settings, protection, I check the box for potentially dangerous software.
    Down to additional I uncheck the box , concede to other applications, or your scans will take forever.
    There are others but wait and see how it runs for you.
    If you have any other questions, someone will always be around to help you, as they did for me, when I first started using KIS6.

Should have mentioned that the memory usuage your showing is normal for a scan, which it could be doing since you just installed it. After rebooting from the install you get a pop up stating you never did a scan. If you clicked that then it could very well be scanning your computer.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  18. nixie21

Well, everyone says that if it is not slowing down the system then dont worry about the ram usage.... Now it is not slowing the system, but I am one of those people that want to know why mine is 39mb and yours is 10!!! I just find it weird that my prevx1 (when it was installed) had the same problem... Realtime now I only have FD-ISR and KIS...

Maybe I will never find out! When this trial is over I will trial the avira suite and then decide!

Thanks for all and any help!

19. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Wish I could help you but I'm not sure what's causing the higher usage for you. It probably is no big deal but I'd want to know why it is higher on my computer also.
    Just checked mine and both processes are running at 10,748k.
    If I can find out anything I'll let you know.
    Good luck! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.