Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BrainWarp, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

How many processes runs AntiVir Premium?

2. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

yeah that is what i meant.

3. SteveS335

SteveS335 Registered Member

Well, even if he meant webmail, it should be noted that the real time scanner (guard) of the free Classic version of Antivir will scan on reading & writing (by default), and that this includes any downloaded emails and their attachments.

The premium has a dedicated mail scanner that scans only pop3 at the moment.

False Positives are definately lower now than when the V7 Heuristic engine was new.

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

The only problem I've had when I used Avira, AV Premium or Suite, is the MailGuard. It seemed very buggy to me. Sometimes incoming e-mail would just hang unless I shut down MailGuard or Avira itself. There were also times when incoming e-mail wasn't listed in MailGuard. I use Outlook Express. This wasn't something that happened all the time, but enough to be annoying. That is the reason I stopped using Avira. If it wasn't for that, I might still be using Avira. I'm looking forward to the user comments the new version coming in April will get.

5. MalwareDie

huh? Dr.Web wasn't attacked. He just stated that he preferd Avira over Dr.Web.

6. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Well i seem to have the free AntiVir version running good in games now.The studder is gone.Does the premium version come with adjustable scan priority -- Medium or high ?

Memory usage is not bad.But Definitely higher than Dr web .

avgaurd.exe 6,460k
    sched.exe 1,824k
    avgnt.exe 5,352k

I believe this is all the processes that are running with this program.Not bad.

Heck my avg anti-spyware 7.5 is running

guard.exe 12,308k
    avgas.exe 7,396

7. waters

waters Registered Member

whats this gotta do with DrWeb, i slag the software off and dr.web gets attacked, *lol*

you guys are pathetic.

Exactly ,i am sick of the spider adverts

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

On an XP Pro system just the Premium Guard is taking up over 50MB VM, but it still runs as light as a feather.

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Its pretty amazing that the AV with the best detection rates, best heuristics, and lightest footprint, is also completely free! I've paid for Kaspersky, Nod32, and Panda in the past, and tried nearly everything else, and nothing beats Avira. It has saved me many times.

I'm running the free version. Can someone list the new features coming soon?

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You don't need an email scanner. I never install them if they come with an AV and I like avira because it doesn't have one. If you use Outlook Express, Microsoft has always stated to never use an email scanner on it as that causes corruption of the database. All the MVP's for OE say the same thing and are constantly warning users in the MS OE newsgroup to get rid of email scanners.

If you practice safe computing, you will download to disk any attachment in email and then scan with your on demand scanner before opening. Plus, the real time scanner will catch it anyhow if you try to execute it. Email scanners are redundant and there just to beef up the antivirus and because of ignorant users that get bent out of shape if the AV doesn't have an email scanner.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi Mele , not that I don't believe you but I read and take part in the MS newsgroups and I have never seen people (MVPs mainly) insisting on not using email scanner . I also do know some MVPS (will not mention their names) who for sure use AV with enabled email scanners (Avast,NOD32,Kaspersky,McAfee with enabled mail scanners).

Also could you provide me with link where Microsoft states to never use email scanner .

In my opinion , although not so important , the email scanner helps to keep the email database clean .

Thanks! :thumb:

12. MalwareDie

Chris was referring to you, although I do not believe you were attacking Dr. Web. You were just stating you would use Avira over Dr. Web.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

"...To lessen the risk of such corruption you should disable the e-mail scanning module in your anti-virus program. This is usually easy to do by looking at the user-configurable options in the anti-virus program. It is not at all necessary to scan e-mail for viruses to protect your computer.

Now before you dismiss me as mad, let me explain why e-mail scanning is unnecessary. Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a virus in an e-mail attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the attachment. At that time Outlook Express extracts the attachment from the message and saves it to the Temporary Internet Files folder on your hard disk and attempts to open the file. And it is precisely at that moment that a background system scan will detect the virus, provided it is able to do so, and stop the virus from executing. The system scan will usually delete the infected file from the Temporary Internet Files folder, or else move it to quarantine. To remove the infected e-mail message in Outlook Express, simply hold the Shift key while you press the Delete key. That's all it takes to keep your computer safe, both from e-mail viruses and e-mail anti-virus scanners. Scanning e-mail as it arrives therefore adds nothing to your level of protection. It might indeed make you feel more protected, but that feeling is an illusion. If the system scan is unable to detect the virus, the e-mail scan will fail to do so also."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EOAAC

14. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

From Microsoft:
    Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption
    When encountering the symptoms of DBX corruption, many people immediately fear that their computer is infected with a virus. As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail.
    Link here.

Here's one from an MVP.

A friend of mine had a corrupted inbox .dbx, and it's a PITA. I always turn off email scanning and as a bonus that's one less process eating resources.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thanks for the information and sorry for the off-topic .

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does kaspersky say anything on that matter?
    since they have mail av ticked and installed on default settings in both kav6.0 and kis6.0
    lodore

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Not only Kaspersky , all AV vendors offer mail scanners with their products ... :D

18. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

So all AV vendors continue to include a completely unnecessary feature? Seems strange, why would they do such a thing? Purely a marketing gimmick providing a false sense of enhanced security?

According to your reasoning, wouldn't the process of downloading any email attachment and then on-demand scanning it before opening also be redundant? Seeing that the real time scanner will catch any malware (that the on-demand scan would have caught) upon execution anyways.

19. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

You may have noticed that a lot of Program Installations include themselves in your Start Menu without asking and for a lot of them, you are much better off with a Manual Start.

AntiVir Classic's On Demand Scan Configuration has a check-box to include MS Outlook Mailbox (as well as five other 'brands' of Mailboxes) Compressed Archives.

You can watch AntiVir Guard's GUI Page to confirm Active Scan of Email and Attachments as needed.

There are far more important 'rules' for "Email-Safety" than "Pop-3 Scanning".

20. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Granted, but what others are saying is that POP3 scanning is entirely unnecessary, to the point of being excessive and redundant, offering no real added security, and perhaps detrimental to ones system. As I said before, this seems strange, considering that All AV companies continue to include POP3 scanning, without ANY legitimate reason according to them. Or am I missing something?

21. pilotart

It seems to be a 'nature-of-the-business' for a lot of software developers to regard what they wrote to be important for you to load, 'every-time'.

Love my HP460 Bluetooth Printer, but why does its Toolbox have to load on Start and have an icon on Notification.. that won't even hide? Never use it and HP Knows it won't function on Bluetooth, must use USB Cable.

Norton Internet Security had an Email 'Spam-Blocker' that slowed your Email far more than just deleting the spam... (at least they had option to install it, or not).

Other Email Spam-Blockers' actually speed your Email..

22. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I think realtime scanner and on-demand scanner may have different "depths" of scanning so for some AV/AS programs these two modes of scanning may work differently. I tend to think that on-demand scanning is more thorough (e.g. decompression/unpacking).

23. pilotart

AntiVir (Classic) default is to "Limit recursion depth" (or not) and if limited, the default is '20'. What settings would be recommended?

24. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

So the consensus is, disable the e-mail scanning feature in the AV?

25. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I never use any e-mail scanning myself.Have heard nothing but issues sense it first came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.