Anyone used AVK Internet Security Suite?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by WraithTDK, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WraithTDK

WraithTDK Registered Member

Anyone tried AVK's Internet Security Suite? It has a firewall, its site says that it is Vista 64bit compatible (a real rarity, sadly). And since AVK had the highest detection rate in the latest av-comparitives test, I thought maybe it'd be worth a shot. Anyone know anything about it? Does it have anti-spam?

I wish Zone Labs would get their act together. I love their firewall, they use Kaspsersky AV, its got my favorite anti-spam solution (mail frontier), it would be completely perfect, except that it's not working on Vista yet, and the last several revisions have left my systems dragging so bad I was finally forced to drop it.

2. btman

btman Registered Member

Both use Kaspersky AV, but AVK also has Avast.

Past versions of AFK are a bit resource heavy, and this one still typically is but its better then AVK 2006 I've been told.

Why not use Kaspersky? I thought it had a Vista version, since you like the AV. Otherwise yeah, AVK's main issue is its a little heavy. It's always gotten Advanced + on AV-Comparatives so says the summary table.

3. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

I thought it used KAV and BitDefender engines? And the remark of it being resource heavy is true from my experience with it. Other than that, it offers superb protection, as should be obvious given the engines it uses.

4. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

AVK used to use KAV+BD engines, but has now switched to KAV+Avast engines
    I tried out AVK '06 out aages ago (last year :) ), but hated it because it was so resource hungry... I suggest you try it out prior to purchasing it and see if you like it or not.

5. WraithTDK

WraithTDK Registered Member

There's no question that there AV is second to none. At least, as far as AV comparitives can tell. My main question was the additional componenents, especially the firewall. I couldn't find any leak tests on it, and I was also wondering if it had a spam filter, and if so, what engine it uses.

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

it still is,i used avk 2007 for some time but it started-up too slowly for my liking

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I've never seen any leaktests either regarding the Firewall. Do they have an english '07 version?
    I'm not sure about the spam filter either. Try it out as I said

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

They have an English version. And other languages too by the way. But only the German version can be downloaded as a 30-day try out version. Strange...

9. Edwin024

I have tested the Dutch version of this suite (send to me by the Dutch GData office for testing purposes) and it was quite horrible! The box and handbook are great but the software just doesn't work on Vista, although the box claims 64bits support. A download of over 250 MB later a vista compatible version (as the website of GData says) was on my system. But that brought no smile to my face either. A lot of dll problem messages (dll's that are part of Vista but fail according to GData's IS2007...) and a firewall that breaks down connections like crazy. GData should come up quickly with a working version. Their claims now are quite ridiculous.

10. mariners

mariners Registered Member

I have used the Dutch version for over 2 weeks now. I am very satisfied with it. Admittedly the scanning of my PC took a long time. Much longer as Nod32, which I used before.
    But the AVK did found 10 virusses ,trojans mostly, which Nod32 missed.
    The firewall is ok. Updating works fine. The antispam filter is better than the various ones I have used before.
    It integrates fine with IE and Firefox.
    In short I like it.:thumb:
    mariners

11. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I have tried the Dutch version as well. Both 2006 and 2007 version.
    Protection is the best but it is really slowing things down on my pc

12. Edwin024

I guess you two did not test it on Vista 64? It doesn't work there!

13. mariners

Protection is the best but it is really slowing things down on my pc[/QUOTE]

Well I have not noticed any slowingdown ,but even so for me the most imported thing in AV software is: Safety and protection.
    And this does Gdata 2007 extremely well.
    I would not know anything about Vista, because I don't use it and will not for some time to come.
    mariners:-*

14. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I think it is the best protection around.
    I tried 2006 and 2007. 2007 is a bit lighter but still is very heavy. Especially when it finds malware the firewall blocked my computer for a while.

So detection rate is very good, fast updates. Anti spam is great as well.

Only problem is the heaviness

15. mariners

It looks like the firewall of Gdata security suite is a little to good. I have got the impression that it is blocking my desktop pc in my LAN.
    At the moment I can not enter my desktop from other laptops in my LAN.
    Shutting it off or even uninstalling it does not help.
    Has anybody had any experience with this?
    mariners:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.