What more should I do?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'm a diehard Kaspersky AV user from about 2 years back, however.....I was trialing nod32 until yesterday when I downloaded a .rar file which came up 'clean' for the up-to-date nod32, then to be double safe, I scanned this compressed file with the Kasp online file scanner and guess what? infected by 'Trojan.Win32.Autoit.ac' :eek:

Next, I went to VirusTotal & Jotti virus online services:

~snipped VirusTotal & Jotti results per policy~

I already did my homework and have sent the infected file to Eset but according to above online services they still don't appear to have released the proper update as today yet. What more should I do?

I'm back to Kaspersky.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  2. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Just wait patiently. it could be a false positive but I wouldn't know for sure.

3. Macstorm

But...a false positive already detected by other AVs o_O

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

it's possible. Look at some of the scanners that detect it, a couple of them are using the same engine. (F-secure = Kaspersky or F-Prot = Authentium)

5. Macstorm

Still seems strange to me as others also detect it as infected, CAT-QuickHeal, eSafe (yeah I know it's kav engine), Fortinet, Ikarus, McAfee, Sunbelt, VirusBuster... o_O

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

eSafe is not KAV engine. eScan uses KAV engine.

7. Macstorm

Yeah I already knew about eScan but I understand that Aladdin's eSafe also uses kav engine o_O

http://www.aladdin.com/esafe/content_security.asp

This would explain also why eSafe detect the infected file as 'Win32.Autoit.ac' just like KAV.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

No AV is 100% effective, and most AVs also have the off FP here or there.
    If you think its a FP, compress the file in a .rar or .zip archive and e-mail it to Kaspersky's VirusLab... newvirus@kaspersky.com... also title the subject of the e-mail "Possible False Posotive" and you should receive a reply soon whether its a FP or a malware.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You could be patient. Re-upload that file again in a week. See what comes up. Send for analysis to several vendors. Ditching your AV based on this would-be incident is not a very wise thing. If so, I should have ditched the computers long time ago. For example, one system error - you buy a new computer?
    Mrk

10. Macstorm

Strange thing here is that several virus scanners (not sharing kav engine) also detect it as a malware. After I've reinstalled kav, it won't even allow to download the compressed file and detect it as infected by 'Trojan.Win32.Autoit.ac' http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=146300

I sent the file to KL and I'm waiting for their response.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

11. Macstorm

I don't think so, my only choices would be mac & linux :shifty: but with the AVs is another story :D

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

12. Macstorm

Response from Kaspersky's Virus Lab:

~Private email removed. - Repost the info without the private email. Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32 missed one trojan big deal dont change your antivirus because of it or distrust eset.
    lodore

14. Macstorm

Private e-mail was removed by admin, sorry.

Kaspersky's Virus Lab analyst returned and have confirmed the file is indeed infected as reported above.

15. Macstorm

No, I was just trialing nod32 for about two weeks. I'm a long time Kaspersky user.

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Since you were trialling NOD and Kaspersky confirmed this file is infected, have NOD now updated their definitions to detect same?

17. Macstorm

Not yet (according to virustotal & virusscan.jotti). These online virus scan services still return the same results as above o_O

18. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Maybe no other AV has discovered it or bothered adding it to detections (other than those which you posted before).
    At the end of the day, its confirmed and its malicious, just delete it.

19. Macstorm

This is exactly what I did from the very first time after kaspersky online virusscanner and the others online scan services detected it. Then reinstalled KAV 6, redownloaded the file (I had to pause kav protection first) and sent the file to kaspersky, eset and avira labs. Only kasp replied and confirmed it is a trojan.

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The problem is that McAfee and Kaspersky are (in my experience) the only vendors who will pay considerable attention to sample submissions even if the user does not use their product. For others, you need to show them your license key and prove that you are a user of their product in order for your submission to be processed.

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have sent a FP sample to AVG. I got a very nice and polite reply less than 24 hours later - and the database was updated accordingly. Very clean and professional.
    Mrk

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

24. Macstorm

I have just received a reply from Avira:
    Okay, Kaspersky replied and confirmed it is infected by 'Trojan.Win32.Autoit.ac' but Avira says it's clean.

I'm stumped o_O

25. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Sometimes there's a crossover on what AVs consider malicious or not.... could be the reason o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.