Update of freeware advice of my work

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi folks,

My first post was to share the results of a security advice of my work. I got a lot of comments/replies. Still I want to share the update with you (because I know an IT apprentice has done some intensive testing for over a month).

Our IT-manager has released an update of selected freeware. Additional to this freeware he advised to use the following hardening tools SPywareBlaster, DEP, SafeXP and Seconfig with example settings.

Notes (of the IT-Manager):
    1. When you are afraid of key-loggers install Snoopfree
    2. Current satisfied Comodo and Jettico users should not switch due to this update, Blink is selected due to its interesting concept prevention at the network stack.
    3. SpywareTerminator is not the best AntiSpy but offers very good Intrusion Detection. Please, don't be concerned when you read average detection rates in tests. Most Spyware is only annoying, a few make it to nasty trojans/rootkits. A good IDS provides more protection against the nasty ones. To clean up your PC from anoying malware use the on-demand scanners.
    4. SUPERAntiSpy is a good adware cleaner, AVG is a good trojan detector, together they provide an excellent periodic health check (on demand scan).

Our IT-manager always says: "I do not argue nor defend any selection criteria, when you want to discuss go to a forum". So I can not eloborate on his arguments.

Regards Kees

Note: At home we run different set ups than the ones adviced
    PC-1: SensiveGuard (free), DefenseWall (paid), SSM (free), Antivir (free) = wife
    PC-2: Only Hardware FW, GeSWall Pro (Paid), CyberHawk (free), Antivir (free) = son

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Very interesting work ;)
    Some questions:
    -Why choose Seconfig over Windows Worm Doors Cleaner?
    -Is there a test of a hardened Windows without real time protection? For example, I know that SpywareBlaster works very well but I wonder how a properly hardened PC can stand up against malware (network worms, ActiveX malware, exploits, etc).

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Don't think I'd go with any of those apps.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just tried out that app and i much prefer it over WWDC. it has more options and it doesnt throw errors if some services are missing; instead teh options are just greyed out.

5. lucas1985

Well, I´ll have to try it :p
    Care to elaborate?

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OK, active I use KAV, edexter & Sygate. Passive or lockdown I use xp antispy, bugoff, wwdc, spywareblaster, harden-it, dtaskmanager in addition to regular taskmanager & opendns.

Those are enough. Lean, mean & simple.

7. Kees1958

This freeware advice is intended for people who have their licenses expired (two out of ten PC users at work had a PC with an expired AV at home) and don't want to spend money on security aps.

The IT-manager is a really funny guy, who admits that the choices are arbitrary, but says: "I do not defend nor argue, when you want to discuss go to a security forum and find out yourself". He rolls out the advice in a 10questions interview. He uses Online Armour, NOD and DefenseWall at home by the way. This setup is not a greenfield choice (as he tells), but a result of licenses purchased over time. It is good enough and I do not want to spend time finding the best, because there is no best application. The best you can do is buy an external harddisk, backup frequently and spend money on a decent backup/recovery tool which also allowes you to copy your OS-image back.

Regards.

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Backup is in need anyway as non of anti-malware tools won't protect you from hard disk hardware crash!

9. lucas1985

Hardening is very important IMHO. No discussion here.
    -Some people will prefer the speed and heuristics of Avira over the "consistent detection over time" of Kaspersky.
    -Sygate is a fine firewall, but it has some serious bugs (lost of outbound control with local proxies). Kerio 2.1.5, Ghostwall, CHX-I, Jetico, Comodo are very good free firewalls/packet filters.
    -Some folks prefer PeerGuardian with custom lists over hosts files or local proxies.
    That´s the goal ;)

10. Kees1958

Antivir-free + SensiveGuard-free + DefenseWall-paid + SSM-free together only use 25MB of RAM!

11. vhick

vhick Registered Member

sir, is this free?

12. Kees1958

Sorry Vhick,

No but I was only responding on the previous mail. You could use GeSWall free in stead of DefenseWall when you only want to use it for web surfing.

Note that SensiveGuard is a really good application, only it does not work problem free on all hardware configurations (see review). So when it works problem free (like on my wife's PC), you are lucky, otherwise dump it.

Regards K

13. vhick

vhick Registered Member

that ok sir. right now im with sandboxie and cyberhawk because im to dumb in ssm (i know it more powerful)

thanks sir...

14. Kees1958

Vhick

Well looking at your security signature, it must be from a security educated, compliments. Sandboxie is a good sandbox

Please drop the sir, I am Dutch. Dutch are known to be blunt and treat everone equal. So much politeness makes me feel uncomfertable (strange thing cultural differences ay?).

Regards K

15. lucas1985

Agreed
    What would be of us without cultural differences?
    A boring world :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  16. Kees1958

True, more boring, but . .

there would also be whole lot less prejudices and misunderstanding in the world ;)

17. vhick

vhick Registered Member

ok, i always say sir for appreciation and respect. but as you wish. thanks!

@lucas

good wki. Filipino as a example in Humor....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.