nod32 or avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EQ2, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EQ2

EQ2 Registered Member

Hello,everybody,i want to konw who is the better,nod32 or avira? Whose heuristic is the better? Thank you.
    By the way:What about vba32?

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

last AV-comparatives, nod32 had a slight advantage in terms of heurisitcs, but overall avira has better detection.
    Also nod32 is a bit more complex then avira.

vba32 has a lot of false positives and when i tried it, it was quite slow, i think it still has to "bake" for a while.

3. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

they are excellent (nod and avira)
    Try them both and choose the one that fit your comp

Never tried VBA32

MaB

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

An up and coming AV to the English market. I used it as a primary scanner for over 12 months. No problems and a very light footprint on my machines. Heuristics are very good but when cranked up to the highest level they can give false-positives, so stay with the default setting and you will be fine. Support is superb, both at the forum and from VirusBlokAda. Although, on-demand scanner is slow and overall malware detection is a little lower than the big boys at the present time, I would still recommend this AV. Likuidkewl is the resident VBA32 expert here.
    (Toss a coin!) The one which suits you and your computer the best ;)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you dont mind the interface and can understand it use nod32.
    i would go for nod32.
    nothing wrong with antivir except it seems to have more problems on the whole.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im gonna try vba32 on my test pc
    lodore

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I can't comment on Avira, but as a NOD32 user I think it's great and light on the resources.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use both antivir premium and nod32 and both are awesome. Nod32 uses more memory than antivir, i find its performance is slightly better than antivir. Its really gonna come down to your personal preferences.

9. EQ2

EQ2 Registered Member

Thank you,I will use nod32

10. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Actually Avira is the one that performed better with the heuristics although it tends to have more false posities than NOD32. Avira also has better overall detection and polymorphic virus detection. It definitely has better detection ( by a little) than NOD but is more problematic than NOd and NOD is lighter on resources I think.

11. plantextract

not really, no my system avira was lighter then node, the only problem i had was when updating, the updater ate up a lot of memory (a few hundert mbs) when it was running - according to task manager. also i hate that avira closes when it updates (nod on the other hand updates quietly)

12. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Both great AVs, try them both out and judge for yourself... you cant go too far wrong with either ;)

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You don't need to . It really displays lots of false-positives :thumb:

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It really is correct when people here say, -see which one works best on your system.

I was using Avast and switched recently to avira. Opera now no longer freezes and everything seems to run smoother, obviously it fits in much better with the other things I have on my system.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Two superb AVs. I have tried both, and find that NOD runs flawlessly, but Avira gave me a few problems.
    My choice is clearly NOD.

I might mention that the support here is as good as it gets.:thumb:

Best,
    Jerry

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nod32 also gets my vote on this one

17. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

NOD32 right now because it supports Vista 64-bit.

Maybe Avira in April if they deliver as promised their Vista 64-bit support.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

64 bit is coming along with antispam and rootkit removal. Soon.:)

19. madaro

madaro Guest

"IN NOD I TRUST"

20. plantextract

you should trust yourself first and nod or any other av second ;)

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

=;d
    the only av that i have tested on my old windows ME pc that has worked flawlessly is nod32 and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it:thumb:
    lodore

22. madaro

madaro Guest

Absolutely agree! I am my first line of defense when it comes to computing and the internet, I "trust" NOD32 to cover my six, which it does extremely well.

23. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I know the title of the thread is NOD32 or Avira, but the Avira Security Suite is basically the same, except for the added firewall. I was using Avira Security Suite until a few days ago when I decided I just had to try a certain stand alone AV and a stand alone firewall. Well, I am back using Avira SS. I just runs so well on my computer. It's very light. I can't even tell it's there. Avira has a very nice GUI. Very easy to configure. I've tried just about all the AVs out there, and it's hard to beat Avira. Now if I can just control this addiction I have about trying different AVs. :cautious:

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

When I tried Avira; Security suite, Premium, and Classic, I was very impressed with all of them. I had pretty well decided that Avira would be my AV of choice. However, problems of the guard not starting, the icon not showing, and some update problems caused me to change my mind. If it runs well on one's system it is about the best overall.

It has a better detection rate than NOD, is about as good in the area of heuristics, and is as light. It just did not run well for me.
    On the summary of AVC Feb tests, it is still remains one of the very best. Sadly, NOD went down as did some other good ones.

Best,
    Jerry

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, keep in mind, your issues "were" valid. But they have done small increments or tweaking to the suite over time. I had issues with mailguard closing and no longer do. I would urge you to try the suite again and see how it does. I am sure if you still had issues that Stepfan or Barrie with their support forums, would love to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.