The 2.06 Beta 1 version is available.

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Frederic, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaosblade

chaosblade Registered Member

I was looking forward to installing LNS again on my newly bought Vista HP, But sadly, This isn't a good report :p

Upon installing the beta, The installer asked for disconnecting me from the network. Since i was in the middle of something, And the installer allowed me a choice - I simply told it not to, Around 3 times. Obviously, This is really bad - Instant crash and repeated BSOD on boot, Even after going into Safe Mode and deleting both .sys files and removing all relevant registry values.

My only solution so far was to do a System Restore to a day before. If running Lnscfg.exe on connected network devices is bad, Maybe the installer shouldn't allow it. I have a nice 53MB dump waiting in case anyone is interested (.hdump file, not sure why).

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

I'm sorry you have encountered this kind of problem.

The installer is not supposed to display a disconnection message, what was this message exactly ? was it from windows/UAC (with a dark background) ?

The only message is about the driver signing/publisher unknown and this message appears once only.

Did you install some other network components or network application before Look 'n' Stop ? Maybe there is a conflict.
    You said you were in a middle of something: was it another installation in progress ? (or windows update/download from internet).

Lnscfg is just the automation of what can be done through the network panel to install anew driver. Yes, for both modes of installation, it installs as plug & play device (no reboot normally required) and the connection is cut during a short period. No problem with that so far.

Could you send the first MB of the hdump file (don't know if you have an appropriate tool to cut the file) ?

Thanks,

Frederic

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have installed onto Vista(Business). nVidia driver (installed with Vista) 6.2.0.126. Installation and running OK.
    Have just upgraded the nVidia drivers, these are now showing as version 65.5.5.0 (15/1/07) still all OK.

4. chaosblade

I got a message saying a change is being made to the network devices, And i should disconnect the one that is currently active. I'm not sure if it was from Windows or from the installer, But it definitly wasn't UAC's Secure Desktop.

Then i got the unsigned driver notification, Which i told to keep installing.
    Another networking component i already have installed is cFosSpeed, But it was installed a long time ago. When i said i was in the middle of something i meant anything else using the internet, No installs or updates.

I'll try to cut-up the file shortly. To which email address should i send it?

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Sometimes I get a popup message that says Look N Stop (2.06) has stopped working.
    The only way to resolve this issue is to reboot.
    It doesnt happen all the time, maybe once every few days, in all its happend maybe 3 times.

Any help with this issue?
    Thanks.

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

You can send it to lnssupport@soft4ever.com.

Thanks,

Frederic

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Is there any log created when this issue occurs ?
    Normally, Windows asks if the error has to be reported to Microsoft and it is possible to see the information that is sent. This would help.
    Also you can look into c:\windows\minidump if there is something.

Does this problem appear suddenly with no related event ? or do you get the error when doing a specific operation ?

Thanks,

Frederic

8. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

No log is created, there is just a popup message that appears from the tray icon of L n S that it has stopped working.
    Windows doesn't ask for any error report or does that still happen with Vista?
    I can't really tell when this problem occurs, however since you asked, I do recall twice that after using CCleaner I would log back on to the internet and the message would appear that L n S has stopped working, not right away though, maybe a few minutes later.
    However, I have used CCleaner at other times and L n S has worked with no interuptions.

9. egghead

egghead Registered Member

I'm a big fan of LNS.

However, I use LNS only for outbound control. I understand application filtering is moved up from 128 to 200.

Are there more things changed for a user who uses LNS only for application control? In other words: when 2.06 comes out of beta is it worth to whip out my creditcard or stick with 2.05p2 ?

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi egghead,

Updates from a 2.05 to 2.06 are free of charge.

The only reason to stay with the 2.05p2 would be to still have the two features "Watch thread injection" and "Watch DNS Call", if these features are very important for you, since they ar no longer in 2.06. But anyway, with Windows updates they can stop working.
    And also staying with the 2.05p2 means you don't require some bug fixing that could be annoying (for instance application filtering sometimes becomes disabled, fix is actually coming from 2.05p3).

Frederic

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

After decoding the crash dump, it appears the crash is occuring in cfosspeed.sys.
    It could be an incompatibility between the 2 drivers, as they are working Ok alone, but probably a problem in one of them.

Frederic.

12. chaosblade

Well, I'll see about forwarding this thread and the crash analysis to cFos, And see what they have to say. Thanks for the quick response, Frederic.

13. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, DrWatson32.exe is no longer there under Vista, and it is not clear how and when crash dumps are created for application crashes.
    At least in from the control panel you have the item "Problem Reports and Solution", then "View problem history" and looknstop.exe should be mentioned there, and it is possible to get details (with a right click) that would help.

Frederic

14. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Thanks Frederic, I will look into this problem and let you know what happend.

15. focus

focus Registered Member

I had a problem with CCleaner and Roboform with Vista. If I run CCleaner with the Internet Explorer area checked, it does something to Roboform that deletes all of my data files, serial number, etc. If I uncheck the Internet Explorer section in CCleaner before I run it, everything stays fine with Roboform. I asked the Roboform people about this and they sent me a solution about "unchecking associated applications" which does not apply to CCleaner at all, but to the cleanup function in Internet Explorer itself. So what I do now is run the full IE cleanup function from within IE (with that box unchecked), then CCleaner without IE checked and everything stays fine. In my research, I found some other application that was being screwed up in Vista by CCleaner, and it was the IE section again. This was all before LnS for Vista was available so I do not know if it is what may be causing your problem, but it might be.

16. General Noel

General Noel Registered Member

Hi Team,

I have upgraded my current LnS to version 2.06 b1 on my Windows XP home edition and everything works well so far.

Now I have a more general question about LnS release. How long is LnS 2.06 is going to be in beta status before reaching the "released" status ?

Thanks & Regards

Gen. Noel

17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi General Noel,

Thanks for your report.

Since there is no major issue detected yet, the official release could come very soon.
    It will not be like the 2.05p3 that was a pseudo-beta, or pseudo-release.

At least the DLLs detection under Vista (missing feature currently) will have to be delivered first as beta again before the official release.

Regards,

Frederic

18. lightning113

lightning113 Registered Member

Frederic,
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed,but should this beta version be recognized in the Windows Security Center under Vista?2.06 is working pretty well,except for not showing in Security Center-not a huge issue,but since its in beta I thought I'd inquire.My test machine is not set up at the moment,so I have nothing to compare it with.Thanks

19. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I have Vista Home Premium and L 'n' S shows up in the Windows Security Center here with no problem.

20. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

This is linked to UAC.

CJsDad, I guess you have disabled UAC, this is why it is working for you.

lightning113, if you stop Look 'n' Stop and start it again by using the "Run as admin" option it will work.

Unfortunately, with UAC enabled, registering to Security Center requires Admin privilege, and there is no way to automate that without a popup :(

Perhaps having the application digitally signed would help, but I didn't find information like this so far, and I don't think for the official release of the 2.06 we will digitally sign Look 'n' Stop.

Frederic

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  21. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Frederic,

Right, the UAC is turned off.

22. thezman

thezman Registered Member

nevermind... got it to work by simply restarting vista..do i need to register this beta.. i WILL be buying it once the final is released or should i buy a copy now then upgrade later?? which would you recc..??

23. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Like for any version, I just suggest you use Look 'n' Stop for some time (there is a 30 days trial period) before registering, to verify there is no issue and Look 'n' Stop is what you are expecting.
    However there is no problem to register for the beta and to upgrade later to the official release.

Frederic

24. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Hi Frederic, I bought a license but I can't get the serial number because I can't find the Look 'n' Stop code in the Register tab of LnS 2.06 Beta 1 (I sent two mail to the support but no reply).
    Thanks for your help
    ^Ale

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  25. General Noel

General Noel Registered Member

Hello Frederic,

I just tested (out of curiosity) the FSU with my windows XP and the new LnS 2.06b1, and it happens that when I swapp to another Windows user profile I cannot see anymore the LnS icon on the task bar.

Also to make sure that LnS was still working I tried to access to the Internet with an application that wasn't granted access. The application didn't appear to run when I tried to lauch it. However when I swapped back to the first windows session I had a popup asking for a permission request to access the internet.

Now is FSU a feature supported by LnS as it doesn't appear clearly whether it should (or should not work) ?

Thanks & Regards

Gen. Noel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.