ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sjoeii, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I found it surprising that no one is talking about the ZASS 7 suite.
    Do you all hate it?
    I think that it is a real great suite. Offcourse there are some minor details to be fixed but the combination of the best firewall and the best anti virus sounds good to me

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

goto the firewall section and you'll find many threads...on it

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You sound like a new user. Do yourself a favor and put their forum in your Favorites bookmark folder, and check in periodically. Keeping on top of what's going on in the forums might save you from installing another bad update in the future. :)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, as you see, not many fans of ZASS here. ZASS is in a kind of love/hate businness. A lot of missinformation and some/many honest posts also... In general, posters here like to play with many different tools and they keep changing them. Furthermore all-in-one suites are usually not very much appreciated, many users prefers multi-layer protection (with different products)

I have no problems with ZASS 7, it works very well... I like the granularity of some of the options that you usually don't find in other suites (e.g. privacy feature and its site-by-site control).

But ZASS, do not like messy environments (can conflicts with other security tools) since I like to keep my system clean and do not usually mess with it very much (always have an HD image at hand), I am not experiencing this problem.

RAM usage? Well, in my system is not high (9+9+16+4+1= 38MB overall with all feature activated) but I have seen other users reporting 100MB (??)

What I miss so far? The possibility of excluding files from AV "on access" detection.

Fax

5. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Yes, it's a great suite with some minor bugs.
    And one thing I don't like is a mess of setup files, TMP files..., in the Privacy-Programs section.
    This can be deleted but after installing a large number of programs this could be really a hard work.
    Also toolbar in Microsoft Otutlook doesn't apear on many instalations, and people must do that manually.

Best regards!

6. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

ZASS 7.0 is stable and is not causing problems on my system (with the AV and E-mail protection turned off).

Firewall: No complaints; no problems so far; no blocked intrusions on record

AV: I was excited about the change of the AV engine to Kaspersky instead of CA, but the Kaspersky-based engine is just too hungry for resources and slows down start-up and everything in realtime . . . just had to turn it off and go back to my trusted NOD32.

AS: Detects more than AVG Anti-Spyware; interface can definitely be improved

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

doesnt really make a good stable suite then if you need the AV and email protection off, might aswell just purchase ZA firewall if this is the case.

8. sasa843

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well i have never used the ZA suite with kaspersky, but if thats how it performs, you should stick to ZA PRO and an av of your choice.

i doubt it will be like that for 'all users' as all av's run different on different machines.

but if its not agreeing with your computer, sure.. ditch it.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I mentioned before somewhere, that's why stand alones are better. I had ZASS and finally had half the features disabled.:p

11. sasa843

Well, I thought in "mmiranda" case if he use ZoneAlarm suite (with Antivirus and E-mail protection turned off) with NOD32 without problems then he should use a combination of ZoneAlarm Pro with NOD32.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That would work. For a short time I used my ZASS with the AV disabled and installed NOD32. That worked well together. I thought of switching to ZAPRO also, but decided to go with a Comodo/NOD32 combo. Good choice.

13. sasa843

Yes, a great combination also. The only thing with Comodo I don't like is because I couldn't disable it not to activate on startup. This wasn't the problem because startup speed with both these is very fast but I don't want Comodo run when I am not on the Internet and I must always turn it off manually. In fact it doesn't have option to disable on startup, it service can be removed from startup but some reported instabilities when this is done.
    Even if You exit from the program one of it's process is still runing and can make sometimes some dificulties, like this one: If I install some program that immediatelly after install try to get on internet and Comodo is not running in system tray when I try to lunch that program it's process is present in task manager but it doesn't appear until I run Comodo and than it ask's me that the program I have just installed is trying to go to the internet or try to act as a server, and when I allow or deny this the program appears.
    For me this is not a big problem and I figured this fast but a less experience users could have troubles.

Best regards!

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

SaSa843 - I am not a knowledgeable firewall user, so when I installed Comodo I put it on Auto and after a few minor options, I let it do its thing. You decided to defeat the purpose of some vital options like no sys tray icon, and not to start on boot up, which is the idea of a firewall. I don't see what the firewall running while you're off line could hurt either. You don't even know it's there. Then when you install a new app, Comodo tries to do its job with half its functions crippled. I think Comodo is perfect for a novice because you can just leave it on auto and it does its job. ZA runs the same way. I never screwed with it. I just installed it and never changed anything except disable what I didn't use, like the IM feature. On the positive side, When I uninstalled ZA and installed CFP, my system started to respond faster and crisper, and boot ups and shut down times were cut in half. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing, just making a few obsevations. We all do what's good for ourselves. :)

15. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

I have seriously thought of ZA Pro + NOD32 over ZASS (AV and e-mail protection off) + NOD32 . . . but I'd like to take advantage of the "IM Security/Protection" of ZASS (which is not available on ZA Pro). I'm still evaluating it right now.

The IM Protection/Security has blocked 9 out of 1664 messages sent via Yahoo Messenger so far.

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The problem with ZoneAlarm Firewall or Suite these days ,is its inability to shutdown without a infernal popup box on the screen saying so everytime you reboot or shutdown. Another case of the incompetance and lack of knowledge from these people to fix this problem at ZoneLabs. If it could be fixed, wouldnt it have been so by now :rolleyes: Personally I hate! incidences like this on my Computer, I like smooth running profgrams, and it makes me want to Choke Check Point :gack:

17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

For the record here I use ZA Pro 7 with BD 10 and SS.

As for IM on ZA I for one don't use IM, nothing I do is that urgent it can't wait for a normal email. Does ZA IM cover off only certain ports like their vault function.

Messenger is a risk anyway I don't need.

I wish all you posters here who have views on what ZA should do and havent yet posted in my open call for feedback. Just search on my name or ZoneAlarm and you will find it in seconds!

Thanks

18. sasa843

Ofcourse, don't worry, I just wrote somehing I experienced while I was using this combination of software.
    Yes, comodo firewall is a great program, no recource hungry, even the most lighter firewall I have used.
    If I don't like to experiment with some combinations of antivirus+firewall, or suites this would be my choice (NOD32 + Comodo).
    Sorry for probably some mistakes I made in writeing, my English is not perfect and if that is the most unobtrusive variant just continue to use it.

Best Regards!

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

DVD+R - That little pop up goes back 2 versions now. It's a program waiting to close dialog box that appears because one option in ZA closes a tad slower than everything else and produces the fleeting pop up. Forgive me but I can't remember what it's for. I think it's a little reminder to everybody not to mistake them for being compitent. :D

20. sasa843

I saw this window for the time i have been using ZASS only once.

21. Escalader

Checking out Checkpoint, web page you can use IM secure pro as a stand alone tool without going over to ZASS.

The only reason I can see for ZASS in your case if didn't like NOD32 and wanted the KAV!

I use ZA Pro with ASW and email off like you and add BD 10 which I prefer, since it finds Rootkits etc.

For IM security why not ask here in this forum if there is a freebie that would do the same job as IM secure. I don't worry myself since I don't use IM ever!

Hope this helps you!

22. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

After installling ZA Z Suite. I got a BSOD When SRC Driver conflicted with something. I uninstalled as was suggested & tried to reinstall. I used their 14 step program to try to uninstall no luck. I cannot reinstall. I installed Comodo. Works great . Obviously ZA has become so pervasive that it is more a risk to your computer than the malware it tries to prevent. Stay away from this program. Comodo is free can be uninstalled & works great.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Another convert. Welcome to the light.:D

24. sasa843

If I am not wrong, if the whole computer system is not in a good condition then this can cause that some antiviruses do not install as it should, or show some mistakes during installation. I think that with so much registry cleaners, disk cleaners, system tweak software, installing everything on a one computer, there is a possibility to delete some important files. Even when a security software is installed correctly deleting some of it's files can cause errors. And this happens, especially for disk cleaners I am sure.

Best regards

25. Escalader

This came off ZA Blog page today, Note red high lighting is mine not their's.

"Sunday, February 25, 2007

ZoneAlarm Will Delivering Security on Windows Vista™
    ZoneAlarm relies upon advanced firewall technologies to offer proactive, preventative security to our customers. While others only scan and remove known threats, ZoneAlarm also stops threats before they reach your computer – including new emerging threats. Our operating system firewall (OSFirewall™) protects your PC down to the core of the operating system, against rootkits and kernel-level attacks.
    This robust security requires a deeper level of integration with the operating system than other security solutions. Because Vista is such a major overhaul to the Windows operating system, we are busy in our development efforts to ensure that new Vista-compatible versions of ZoneAlarm will live up to our and your high standards of protection. We anticipate delivering Vista-compatible versions in the coming months after January 2007 (Microsoft’s Vista planned release date). Due to the different needs and functionality of this new operating system, features and functionality on 2000/XP and Vista may differ from our current release."

1) WILL= not right now! In the coming months after January 2007, EAT= ?
    2) ZA functionality MAY be different? Prediction= it will be different but we won't hear about it until a lot of users have laid down their $

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.