PRIVACY ON THE NETT

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by itsmej, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

Here's a thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44764
    Very interesting-

I had a good long hard look here as its My thing PRIVACY----
    i agree with a lot of it ! Never had a problem with
    Survalance at stores -streets - extra But like every thing There are places where one Should be in privacy - now as for the nett My self i think the more the better,its no one bizzybodyness where and what i link to or leave and go to ,nor is it anyones Bizzness Where and What atheres Do - If So desired,
    As for Every one can Be seen - Well thats a opinion - If one has a proxcy filter, well set up And well set to Spoof -Has a open proxy to link from (left open ones) That do not have to be loged in to- one can hide well, as you the user cant be loged ! also have ones PC blocking every port ,TCP,UDP. IN and out at a fire wall also helps, block fragment,block trusted and internet servers also helps ,block scipts, No Javea on ones PC,no nett PING.LOOPBACK .AtiveX.DECOM locked,SVHOST ,LOGON,Generic HOST,All updates,Win EXPLOROR..Not allowed, all helps .NO cookies Allowed Ever...Never install any thing over the nett -thats Just Some of it ---always never give away you Emails to Just any one OR Be siily and get coned into Scamms and so on...
    Now lett me also say its not fool Proof , but can make it hard for a snooper ,hacker to know if and where you are log from or where-you Surrf From. any site that logs you, logs the proxcy IP and cant see your one- so have a half dozen or more of them you could be any where in the world..changing them at every click (random ips) use them no more then 3 times eatch.Now as for being here at the forum i use my own ,its only when i surf the nett to unknowns
    i agree thor or jap are very handy if one is not concerned if thy know who you are (regersted Member) Bit like Knowing where You or I are from .
    and using them to hide you in a Bunch of Users ..
    always never give away you Emails to Just any one or get into scams link to scammers ,that post Junk or adverts try to flog you Junk take care who you regerster with ,Do no Just JION any site for the fun of it ,Be aware of this
    Do not give away your info for the sake of a free program ,if its free thatn there Should be no string attached! Always use Good Jugement ,take ones time .listen and learn from athers .study and take a bit of time out .walk Slow and easy ..
    its in my hope pll can inprove as i can always and Surf safely ,thank you for your time reading a old fella ideas--
    yours itsmej

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

ok to add a litte more here --if at all , run only what you need to surf the nett,you have heard read this many times but what i found is the less one runs the better well put it this way i have 5 cps--1 is just for surfing .nothing els..just cant seem to ridd the older ones ...Have pent 11-111-1111-and now Core2 Duo .oh forgot pent 1 ...must run here after...
    XP first install version.never updated, Zone fire wall (5.5.062) never updated . armornett2,proxomitrion, IE,
    now what runs is proxomitrion access only
    iternett exploror ,access only
    armornett access only
    and 1 dowload program ,called star dowloader access only (never allow any dowloads Ather than this program ...
    XP fire wall uninstalled of my pc (hacked OUT) ie has been modefide
    thats it
    in my fire wall all sever rights are blocked to all programs
    all my ports the same TCP/UDP/ICMP ...none allowed
    Never update any program over the nett...Block any and all Cookies.
    JAVA is uninstalled - the rest is blocked .
    Now all of jacks filters are enabled To Block .... set my start page at Blank..and Start proxcefide..all links are blocked From linking to any programs
    No Emial is in use on this pc Not installed...Its been running fore 3 years like this ,Never had a virus.Trojan,or any Junk install in the background...
    Surf every where every day...So got a spare pc ? use it Ok may not Be as fast as the brand new, one But Its ok.Pent4 with 1gig ram and just a 40 gig hard drive is good running ..and nice and safe .....
    thank you for reading This post and it may get one to fire up the spare pc ..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  3. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

i should of added that any program that one may have as a extra like say a virus live (checker-whatcher) or any thing that os wants to run .like win Nt log in,generic host,win exploror ,client server runtime ,SVCHOST, My advice set them in your fire wall To block Sever right,accesses as well - like i say never allow any program any rights.bar the 4 thats needed to run , only accsses...But all have to use The proxcy filter .or non will run at all ..without it ..Most inportant ,Block .than block some more ..and when one think things are Good block Some more -- in your filter (proxcy) program add to it as you desire, NOW THE out & in Web page are allways running (filtered ) in IE or what ever Browser you are using ,Have it running at locallhost
    and your defalt port ...(127.0.0.1) Safe way to surf -Or let say SAFER.
    I cant stress this to Mutch .all ports Nettbios ,DNS server,ICPM,any broadcastings,, echo, UDP/TCP.Bocked...All ports set From 1-65535 of them
    in and out Bocked ..if a program or protocall wants to run Block it .untill you are shure what it is that want to run,but most of you know that already...
    now all this for stand a lone pcs ..Your spare one ..if say you need to Email,or send a regerster of a program ok use your mian one Just for this .
    but use your spare one Just for surfing ,and down loading ..its the one thats run almost all day ..Sorry if i repeted my self ,and hope its readable for you to understand,
    and if its good advice than i am happy that one may take it..if its bad advice than just forget what you read..Thank you agian for your time ..and its always my hope you are safe on the nett
    Itsmej

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  4. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

update tight security for 07
    a comment on one gent (i still get trojans) Well if one looks at the ansered concerns One wonders How that gent is getting Trojans .Not saying one cant .but wonder...Now as i pionted out Make shure all ports are Stealthed .Be wary what one downloads and link to ,Never open a program (install) while on the nett ,Why? if there is a attemp to install Something from a link IT cant .if a program persits in asking you to turn on Your Modem as it cant finnish the install .Get rid of it ..Like MS ,thy love it and demand it ! and there new OS gets Better Now you ask if its ok to install a program ..and thy decide, if its ok ...
    and while you down load all there updates ,thy got all your info at the same time ..But Would never use it ?. Its a bugbear that i have UPDATES..and so called Good fore you.and TRUST US ,we would never tell any one...also tell us were you live,and lett us do a DNA test ,to make shure all ok..Its fore your Good ..i dont know what good, but thats fead to users....And the persistent Nags .link and UPDATE..and its Just my opion and not flaming MS . ,,nor any one els .itsjust me.
    Ok barring this and its not a problem ,and you trust every Links program. thats a Thing thats personal, and its in the eye of the beholder..But to get back to the Trojans That should never happen,Well not if your a 1 or 2 year user of pcs..and are on forums like here .Look it can happen ..But after reading and asking around and advice given have not receved any in 3 years ...and i dont run extra software .while surfing ..Do i scann Yes with any new programs and free ones .When of the nett thy are stored on my USB drive (never sees the nett) and before thy are tranfered thy are scanned ,severall times ...This is trying to be carfull So far it works fine .But not 100% fool proof as there are Smart trojans made .some yet to be Seen by a program ....So it come back to blocking or a rouge program trying to start ..UNKNOWS..that one would dissalow.untill one know what it is...
    agian thank you for reading my ideas ...
    yours ITSMEJ

5. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

There are many that say one cant hide from Sites,(logs) well depends on what one wants or wants not to beleave, I could Post samples of my tests But then there are ppl that may say ,Not true the results posted, ok
    i can say this i beleave its not that hard to give out false info .I spent one evening testing all site ip checkers and not one Could see my real IP,country or flag ,nor any forwardings,refferings ,and so on ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Todays Date: Fri Feb 16 08:16:10 PST 2007

Your IP: ***.17*.37.7* (PROXCY I USED)

Http Foward:

Your computer software: Dead wood & CO

HTTP_Referer:
    Full Analysis

Your Host Information
    Remote_Host ***.17*.37.71¡¡ (Proxcy i used)
    REMOTE_ADDR ***.17*.37.71¡¡
    HTTP_USER_AGENT Dead wood & CO¡¡
    HTTP_REFERER (none)¡¡
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE en-id
    HTTP_HOST www.stilllistener.com
    HTTP_CONNECTION Keep-Alive
    HTTP_ACCEPT image/gif,image/x-xbitmap,image/jpeg,image/pjpeg,application/x-shockwave-flash,*/*
    Your Connection Information
    HTTP_VIA HTTP/1.1www.lcredistribution.tas.gov.au(DeleGate/5.9.13),1.1TTCache02(Jaguar/3.0-59)
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP 202.144.33.137
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR 66.11.174.45
    HTTP_CONNECTION Keep-Alive¡¡
    HTTP_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
    HTTP__ Defended-By,Thor-nett*
    HTTP_COOKIE $1
    Your Computer Name or Isp Name
    www.lcredistribution.gov.au,lan-202-144-33-137.maa.sify.net,reep2.ott.istop.com
    ViaConnection proxy3 Usefull3
    So as you can see the results that are shown are all spoofed .
    By using a proxcy filter ,And most of you have ether read this or know about it .So whats the piont ? Every site will and is spoofed with different ips and info sent out ..the above is the result just tested, Only i edit the IP of the proxcy
    as its not allowed by the forum ..The rest ,there not tutched..(Edited)
    Ok my piont is one can hide from Sites ,as for isp (Your or my account) is not what i am saying .you see its what athers see thats inportant,the sites you or i link to ,thy dont have a idea where you are from (reminder) if you are blocking?, cannot get your true ID ..dont know what browser,opperating system.or what protocals are run by you or i.
    So it it realy So, and can any one do it ?.YES ,all you need to is ether make or use a filter set made by ppl that allow you to make it so ,you can modify ,them to your own need or as you see fit ..and its realy the way to Go ,as i siad at a click of your mouse you can enable or diable Using a proxcy,
    but than your real ip will show up...if not used...now how To get this up and running .Just download a proxcy filter , and all the latest Filters .merge them into you program..What is the best one to use ? ..agian what fits your needs .
    and what you like .Just use a free one .dont need to pay for one ....the ather thing is Learn how to use one ,dont get frustated and give up .Start simple ,and work your way up, Read the doc's ,on how to use , and just take your time ,open the log window and watch as it runs and logs what you do .
    Dont worry at first using a proxcy ,(ip) that comes later Learn the filters First..ITS VERY INPORTANT that you know how and what thy Do,
    lets say Start at the WEB page ,now leave the defalts as is ,then add as you go ..depending what you want to filter ..Why a ather post on this ? well i beleave in using them to increase your privacy .than hide as you want...
    the ather thing is you be amazed how mutch get filtered on the fly --- its something els ..So please concider using one..i realy think For ppl that dont
    Wiil make you happy you did....as always Safe surfing and thanks for your time...
    itsmej

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. exomen

exomen Registered Member

Hi,

I'm part of the team from ~Snip~ who provide services to people who need to be private and have more protection while on the internet. We have ideals and put them in these services and also make a living from using our knowledge to help people.

Greetz,

Falco

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  7. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

Ok thats nice And some ppl may want to use them .myself i dont realy worry about it,find my own and use them as i dont need to regerster with any one . or give over my ip ad and user name and so on ...there fore stay private ,but its nice that ppl like your self give this to atheres to use .if thy dont mind passing info .why i say this as you know where i would be surfing from .if i used your ip ..or the service you proved.
    itsmej

8. exomen

exomen Registered Member

Thanks ! It ofcourse depends on the person and what he sees as acceptable. In my opinion it's better than using free proxies, one doesn't know who set them up and what information they're logging. Tor itself is a good solution, one of the rare exceptions, but ofcourse people have to keep in mind that the exitnode can see all your traffic. So if you're using your real identity or data which can identify you then all the previous middle-nodes don't better anymore. The sword cuts at both sides ;)

9. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

As for legitimate users who want to surf anonymously, turning off enhancements such as Flash, ActiveX, Java, and JavaScript will help make detection methods fail. also advise against using the TOR network to stream video (since his method uses media plug-ins to detect a user's true IP address). This will, of course, (MAY) or , break sites like Google, Yahoo, and YouTube, but TOR networks aren't recommended for recreational use.
    i think reader should understand this ,if one wants privacy you have to block a lot of protocals from running ,Svhost,generics.exe, Nt log ins,Cookies ,winn Exploror.exe.and many more Useless exe's that help snifferes.make shure all ports a in block mode .learn how to use a nd filter any unknows,and work at it all the time by watching you filters work ,now the ather thing is if using a router one may not be able to block like i do ,TCP/UDP/Ucmp--i dont know
    i dont use one .Look i say this also its not your ISP you shoud have to worry about ,its where you link to from there .thats where Every thing comes into play ,Thats only where you surf from .and from there you start your Spoofing,and sending what ever you decide to the links you or i make ..
    as the above post shows ,I also tell ppl its not fool Proof ,only makes it very hard for sniffers to know where you are from .the idea is this a false Ip cant be sniffed as it Just not there ,(spoofed) than what makes it harder is a proxcy used ,thats not loged,(no need to enter user names) as thy are open
    .this plus spoofing make it hard to know who is who ,as many ppl use them at the same time .like a surver that provides you with a ip like our friend ,
    the only differance that he wants to know who is using the severce.and thats a option you have .take a risk , BY using unknown Proxcy IP'S , and say nothing , or use a trusted server provider that helps hide you with may ppl...Now No offence here to any one providing this to athers .as i see it a good thing ..But you do lose some freedom as to where you surf or Download .As the provider would be loging you and may find that he/she may sencor Your surfing..i am shure that thy have Rules for you or i to follow ..But let me stress this better than you being open and seen...
    any how i hope what ever you the readers Think is best ,Surf safely ,and stay privite
    your itsmej

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  10. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

ReFerrers:---Fore Pll that dont Know-----------------------------------
    So what are referrer strings? When you click on a link to go from one web site to another a small data string is created which tells the site you’re going to where you’ve just come from. If you then click on a link on this new site to take you to yet another site more data is added to the string so that this third site knows the previous two sites you’ve visited and so on and so forth. What do these sites do with this information? Well a lot of sites don’t really do anything with it. I can tell you that A server that A Site uses has some software on it called Webalizer. It collects and collates lots of statistics about how many visitors Its had, which pages they’ve been to, which country they came from etc. , it can be useful to a site, to know what percentage of visitors use IE or Opera or Gecko, or how many use Windows and which version, how many are using a Mac, and so on, what screen resolution is most popular. What the referrer string tells Webalizer, is this- how you got here , and if you came from another site and what it was , useing some of this information ,is for a web designer , and even perhaps false sites that snoop, now there are sites out there that collect the referrer information for other reasons. We’re back to ads and info,Snoopers ,there is Big money to be made,. If a site knows where you’ve been before it can give them an idea not only of your surfing habits but also of your tastes. They can then use the information for pure marketing reasons and if, in the process, they can get hold of your email address as well or your home address then watch the spam and snail mail build up! Different browsers deal with referrer string options in different ways ,
    some sites May not work without a referrer but they are few and far between.
    dont worry about them just leave, Now i can tell readers this a fiar while back Now, before i woke up to this i got a lott of spamms Change my Mial ad .
    started blocking ,Since then 0 spams...Plus ather blocking i do also ...But i beleave a lott came from REFERRINGS..
    itsmej

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  11. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

a reader posted:
    Denying cookies in browser- any problems?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently I have my main browsers FF and Opera set to "Accept all cookies" with clearing cookies on
    end of browser session( with some site specific exceptions). I am thinking to change this setting to
    "Don,t accept any cookies"( with some site specific exceptions). I want to ask

1- Is there any advantage of this over my previous settings?
    2- Am I going to loose any functionality by these new settings? Many site might not work etc?

Any suggestions? I know many users here might be using these settings

I did not want to interfear with the post , as i already talk about refferings
    Cookies ,my way of thinking is Block them .i dont allow any of them .
    There of no use to me to be sent ,as far as i see it ,and spy on my system ,or track my system to and from sites, The only thing is If say one blocked this site,and you loged on, after say 2 minn or So one may have to log in agian as one is blocking ,and the site cant tell if one is still there .as it cant read any Cookies sent...now one could get now and agian (rarely) a site could or may not load a page fully .or lose that sit (cant display ) but that is very rare..So its a personal thing as to allow or Not .agian we get told its a good thing for sufers to allow,then athers would say its a spy type thing,as thy can track you or Me ,from site to site and record what we Do ..

Most Internet cookies are incredibly simple, but they are one of those things that have taken on a life of their own. Cookies started receiving tremendous media attention back in 2000 because of Internet privacy concerns, and the debate still rages.
    On the other hand, cookies provide capabilities that make the Web much easier to navigate. The designers of almost every major site use them because they provide a better user experience and make it much easier to gather accurate information about the site's visitors. (Spy ?)

Cookies evolved because they solve a big problem for the people who implement Web sites. In the broadest sense, a cookie allows a site to store state information on your machine. This information lets a Web site remember what state your browser is in. An ID is one simple piece of state information -- if an ID exists on your machine, the site knows that you have visited before. The state is, "Your browser has visited the site at least one time," and the site knows your ID from that visit.
    Web sites use cookies in many different ways.
    the only way for a site to accurately count visitors is to set a cookie with a unique ID for each visitor. Using cookies, sites can determine:
    How many visitors arrive
    How many are new versus repeat visitors
    How often a visitor has visited
    On something like a Windows NT machine or a UNIX machine that uses accounts properly, this is not a problem. The accounts separate all of the users' cookies. Accounts are much more relaxed in other operating systems, and it is a problem. On a Web site, the site can track not only your purchases, but also the pages that you read, the ads that you click on, etc. If you then purchase something and enter your name and address, the site potentially knows much more about you than a traditional mail order company does. This makes targeting much more precise, and that makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

There are certain infrastructure providers that can actually create cookies that are visible on multiple sites. DoubleClick is the most famous example of this. Many companies use DoubleClick to serve banner ads on their sites. DoubleClick can place small (1x1 pixels) GIF files on the site that allow DoubleClick to load cookies on your machine. DoubleClick can then track your movements across multiple sites. It can potentially see the search strings that you type into search engines (due more to the way some search engines implement their systems, not because anything sinister is intended). Because it can gather so much information about you from multiple sites, DoubleClick can form very rich profiles. These are still anonymous, but they are rich.
    DoubleClick then went one step further. By acquiring a company, DoubleClick threatened to link these rich anonymous profiles back to name and address information -- it threatened to personalize them, and then sell the data. That began to look very much like spying to most people, and that is what caused the uproar.
    DoubleClick and companies like it are in a unique position to do this sort of thing, because they serve ads on so many sites. Cross-site profiling is not a capability available to individual sites, because cookies are site specific.
    So you the surfer decide For your self ,Ether allow OR not.
    itsmej

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  12. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

http://www.codeode.com/index.html

a little on what i can do for you ,check the site (more)
    Privacy Mantra is free, download it and use it as much as you like. My intension is to keep it that way.

Myself i have it running (installed) and its a very good one ,i know there a many of this type of sofware but perhaps this could be hady ..
    itsmej

13. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

What are index.dat files?

Index.dat files are hidden files on your computer that contain all tracks of your online activity, where have you been on internet, what sites you visited, list of URL-s, files and documents you recently accessed. Index.dat files stored on your computer are obviously a potential privacy threat as they can be found and viewed without your knowledge.

Why they exists?

Only Microsoft knows that for sure. According to them they are used to cache visited web sites and speed up Internet Explorer. The problem with this is it ' s simply not true: index.dat are hidden files that do not contain an actual web cache other than informations about your browsing habbits, they can ' t be deleted in any regular ways and there is absolutely no prove that those files in any way can speed up your browsing experience – they just sit there hidden and record where you have been on internet, simply as that.

Can I get rid of them safely?

Yes. Download and install our Index.dat Analyzer, and delete the evidence entries you want to get rid off. No harm to your system or OS can be made, everything will continue to function as if was prior to deleting them.

How to use Index.dat analyzer?

Choose one of three categories from the pull down menu: History, Cookies or Cache. Mark the checkboxes for the entries you want to delete and press “ Delete Cheched ” button. You can check and uncheck all entries at once and you have nice filter that can help you shorten the list to find what you are looking for.

from the site
    http://www.systenance.com/ .Index.dat Analyzer v1.6 free
    a very good one please take a look cant hurt ..i realy like it ...you may also
    itsmej

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Any windows systems by microsoft is nothing short then a copy machine so no matter what you do on it, it's recorded internally and even stored for who knows how long.

My advice is don;t abuse this technological marvel and especially don't entertain criminal ideas because if they want to the police can find something to implicate you for an offense which will at the very least embarass you and your family not alone the public.

That;s been my motto, keep it clean and use it for educational and art purposes and even communications ith friends and families because this computer O/S is a windows into your activities and will reveal any thoughts you decide to give away to it.

My 2Cents worth.

16. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

"what you do on it, it's recorded internally and even stored for who knows how long." in my case ,when i log of my pc it gets cleaned ,tracks,logs,catch,temp files ,all index,and any useles junk,all links are filtered,regesters get cleaned out,and so on .starts fresh every boot up..

, but what has that got to do with cleaning it ,ridding all tracks ,or logs,extra, i dont think we got any crims here ,on the forum
    Its to Do with privacy only ,and its no one bizzness what i do on my pc..
    So we are not talking Doing silly stuff to draw attention .Just staying privite
    But your post it very Good advice!!

17. probe64

probe64 Registered Member

How about CCleaner? It's FREE too and has a Windows XP look to it too.

Its at: http://www.ccleaner.com/

18. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Anyone curious about the contents of index.dat files:
    http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&act=DL&p=index.datqv

19. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

What kind of information sends your computer out?

Ok first of all this tread and the link that it referred to about what ones cp sends out , is very disturbing to a new owner of a PC, bit like a brand new car ,if some of you oldies out there still drive a 1969 ford and then finally change to a brand new one it very bewildering with all the new buttons dials knobs Gees still trying to work out where me back heater knob is ! and try finding the dip stick ! well one thing i used to say fill her up with oil and check the gas , Don't have to worry bout that any more , same with a new cp and a new OS its Just learn how it works ,start easy slow don't be in a hurry load up your soft ware before (if one has not) you even got to read this ,than add to it with modern type software thats will run properly with your new CP, Like every thing in a modern world things change every day , the whole point is try to keep up with the new stuff thats you are interested with ,Do i still drive the old car ? oh yes till she claps it but keep her of the free ways now just use her around the town now , the same apply to a PC ,
    i use my older ones to play around with and my old software ,thy don't see the nett any more ,till thy clap out ,sad to say one did last week old girl gave up So realy any new pearson that reads this take it slow never get into a flap just read learn where all the buttons are and how and what thy are for ,as far as privacy ? well thats somthing you decide on and how far you are , or willing to go to want it the way you decide! thear are a lot of treads here where one can learn on how ..as always Surf safely
    your itsmej

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.