Logged-in but creating new thread impossible

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by chrizio, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrizio

chrizio Guest

My env.: Firefox 2.1, Cookies and Java enabled for Wilders Forum.
    Scenario:
    logging in via forum toolbar, login option
    navigate to Acronis subforums
    editing a new thread
    pushing the submit button
    now system says I am not logged in
    entering user data
    getting logged-on and a message pops up
    "vBulletin Message

Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
    navigating back to Acronis group
    verifying if my new thread is present
    Present, all OK

What the reason in recognizing of my online status ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, it's always a cookie issue whenever the next page or click on the forum results in you being logged out when previously you were logged in. But, cookie management can involve a lot more than just whether your browser is set to allow cookies or not. Any other cookie management, proxy software, software firewalls, brower plug-ins or add-on modules, and so on, that can effect the control and management of cookies can be at fault.

For example, it's not enough to allow session cookies but not permanent ones because forum software like this uses a brief 15 minute session timeout. Some add-ons and browser/privacy software tweaks convert permanent cookies to session cookies, but that causes you to be logged out on this type of forum if you haven't clicked any link for more then 15 minutes. The session cookies expire and your login credentials are lost.

The new thread you mentioned above is very detailed. If it took you a second longer than 15 minutes to compose it, and for some reason your browsing is making use of session cookies, you will be logged out when you hit the submit button. Following that post, you made two more, (a new thread - this one, and a reply to the wish-list thread), and do not appear to have timed out for those posts, so that's why I'm assuming you've got something blocking or converting permanent cookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.