Antivirus is DEAD!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by farmerlee, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why antivirus companies are having stuff like good heristics like nod32 and antivir.
    and proactive modules like kaspersky 6.0
    lodore

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

They still have to update the heuristics though.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: An interesting article, indeed. It reveals the worst-kept-confession in security community. He states"the enterprises invest and deply AV more out of a sense of FEAR than because they believe it is offering VALUE." It is obviously a gray area between an extortion and a protection, IMO. O man, what kind of world it has become? :mad:

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

:thumb:

Makes you wonder why they waited this long for such a new approach which is infinitely better than what we been having to rely on for years before.

HIPS and other behavioral program developers have certainly taken the initiative to push this innovation into a head-on clash with AV's and is why AV's are scrambling to integrate those better features into their own systems now.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also behavior blockers use less resource as well
    lodore

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And they still have to update malware. So why should security vendors be restricted to non updatable software, while bad guys can update everything 48 times a day if they want?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The Slow Death of AV Technology

Article

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Voila, I was right from the beginning and my security is based on that.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Anti-virus is going to live as long as people think of anything bad that happens on a PC as virus. It took 15 years to make a 70% transition from VCR to DVD, it will take at least 20 for software. We need a whole new generation to be born into a world before this will happen.
    Mrk

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

apparently, drweb v5 brings in a technology 'similar' to the pdm, but apparently different and better, so they say. :)

i await the beta......

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The AV died here quite a while ago, even before the zero day attack of Jan 2006 where 200 variants wreaked havoc on many pc's with not a single av protecting completely.

Was using Sandboxie then and still using it now and have added Powershadow and Virtual PC recently.

Still want something to warn me if any malware is attempting to run though.

Tossing up between DSA, SSM and Cyberhawk which I have running in their own VMs with Sandboxie the only other security app.

All are quite good.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im still a firm believer in 'an antivirus only.....'

however, if you really feel the need for something else, just use an HIPS if it bothers you this much.

anything else... is just getting paranoid.

15. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I wonder where this leaves Avast? It has the Web Shield, and Generic Detection I believe, but no Heuristics yet. Do they have enough money to stay alive? AVG with it's so so Heuristics I believe does have the money to stay alive, and yet from what I read in this forum probably isn't as good as Avast would be at preventing some unknown virus, which is what I think we're really talking about here.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually avast scored an ADVANCED level in the latest proactive test, with 26% and low false alarms.

avg didnt even score the STANDARD rating

it is AVG that need to work on this, and not avast.

i still prefer avg anti-malware over avast, but avast definatly has the best free version for sure.

17. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

The only thing that bothers me is boredom.

Things are just too quiet here.

Want something to show that some nasty is trying to run in the sandbox so I can laugh at it.:)

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah, i totally understand boredom

sometimes even though im an 'antivirus only user', if bored.. i will try a HIPS and put it to its test *lol*

only to revert back to just my drweb, its a cycle that continues to go on.... with such betas that are available aswell.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am a slow learner but I won't worry until the sky falls on me.

I am satisfied to keep a good AV plus a few other anti-malware applications. I tend to reduce the number as time goes by, but not the AV.

Jerry

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

your as safe as where you surf, I don't care what you run or don't run...

21. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

AV is dead for less than 1% people like those, who visit Wilders, but the rest need it.
    Like my mom, I can not imagine, that she would have to run HIPS instead of AV. [​IMG]

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

But this tech is geared to the enterprise, I wonder when we will get to see it in consumer based products. I also wonder how this whitelisting tech exactly works? Will everyone have to buy a certification or something, and if software is not certified it´s not allowed to run?

23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AV isnt dead to me and I wont be saying goodbye for some time...

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I constantly think this:If Prevx2 as effective as is now,can infuse more HIPS and behaviour blocking functions into its amazing concept--making most decisions for users- and then coupled with its already massive signature database, it can make tranditional AV to cease and desist before our naked eyes.
    IMO, average joe/jane comprises more than 70% of entire pc user population, and these people(including myself) do not wish to fiddle w/ constant promts asking permission. Someone else like Prevx2's central command would step in and wear this shoe for them. Bingo, it just hits the very target--everyone's pocket. Hope this day will come very soon.

25. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.