USB 2.0 Drives Compatible With True Image 10 Home Ed.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bruce Mahnke, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Having a recent experience using a Seagate USB drive that wasn’t recognized by True Image I find myself in a position where I need a replacement for my Maxtor Model 3000LS (60 GB) drive due to capacity. This drive has worked well by the way. Given the failure of the Seagate assembly (I didn’t have time to record the model number as I was under pressure to get the system running) I’m looking for recommendations that should work and are available in the USA. I recognize that the chipset is an important consideration here but unfortunately chipset identification does not appear to be available in the specifications for commercially available drives. Additionally there doesn’t appear to be a way of contacting Seagate. This will most likely influence my purchases in the future. I don’t want to purchase a drive and find that it’s not compatible and be forced to return it. This is not cost effective/productive for me or the retailer.

From some of the very knowledgeable posters here I understand that the NEC chipset is a good choice. I am probably looking at a size of 200 GB or greater. The drive can be a commercially available assembly (preferred) or a high quality box to which you add an IDE drive (SATA is not an issue). My question then becomes this:

Does anyone know of drives or interface enclosures that work with True Image 10 Home? Conversely are there assemblies that are not workable?

Best regards,
    Bruce Mahnke

2. rayh78

rayh78 Registered Member

Yes I think this is something a lot of us need to know. I have ordered true image and now in the market for an external drive. I have never heard about software that will only work with certian hard drives. At least this should be an important note somewere.
    Seagate seems to have the best rep for dependability and at least on the internal drives has the best warrenty. Hard enough to find a external drive with good user reviews on places like CBET.
    I

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The make/model of the hard drive itself isn't the issue. If there is a problem, it's likely due to a combination of the motherboard's USB sub-system and the external enclosure's USB to IDE (or SATA) bridge chipset. Some USB bridge chipsets perform poorly when transferring very large data files such as TI images. One bad byte of data will cause TI to report the image as corrupt.

Regards

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I have had no problems with the build-in NForce2 USB / PCI add-on card NEC USB based solution and a Western Digital MyBook Essential external drive.

Question: if your current enclosure works, would it be possible to exchange the drive inside for a larger capacity?

Success :)

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

There shouldn't be a problem provided the physical dimensions and interface type (i.e. PATA or SATA) are the same.

Regards

6. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Combination of computer and the drive do play a role, as I've learned from the posts here.
    That said, using a Toshiba Satellite laptop, XP home SP2, and Maxtor One Touch III, 200gig external USB drive TI v10 works fine. Both from Windows and the CD mode.
    Just make sure to skip whatever software Maxtor puts in - I think it was Restrospect. You don't have to uninstall anything, nor format. The drive is NTFS format as delivered. No drivers, can be named, always recognized.

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have ATI 10 and Seagate USB 300 Gig one touch external drive, the seagate external drive comes with Bounce backup software which I read some people had problems. The one touch is when you use the Bounce software, I did the backup useing acronis. Everything went smooth, even validated the image without my intervention.

8. bcool2

bcool2 Registered Member

I know these kind of WFM responses don't help much but I can't help but chime in with two separate accounts of success with SEAGATE. Seagate USB EXT HDD (80G 2MB cache + 160G 4MB cache) both seem to work flawlessly with TI 9.0.0.2337. I do restore from a BartPE (ReatogoXPE) Windows CD. This TI build both in real Windows and BartPE is solid and I doubt I will budge anytime soon.

9. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi Bruce,

I'm using a Western Digital 250GB(My Book) external USB drive with Acronis TI10 Home to back up my internal C: drive which is a WD 80GB, on a Dell 8400 using XP Pro SP2+ installed, back-ups & recovery work flawlessly when using the Recovery CD created with Acronis TI either 9 (CD) or 10 (CD)

Hope that helps,
    Steve

10. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I greatly appreciate the responses from everyone. Thinking back about the experience I had, I do recall that it was a very old Micron PC dating back to August, 2000. The interface was USB 1.1 and perhaps the motherboard chipset played a role here. At the time I was under severe time constraints to get the PC repaired and didn’t take the initiative to record the Seagate model number that gave me trouble. It was a new drive however.

Your input will be very helpful and I wish to thank all that posted.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.