Help me buy my 1st laptop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by user12, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user12

user12 Registered Member

Hello everyone

Could you please help me buy my first laptop. I last purchased my current desktop (PC) over 2 years ago. At that time it seemed quite easy comparing CPU specs of the Intel PCs. Now I am so confused o_O. Dual core, core duo, core 2, 915, 885 whatever, bla, bla. bla :(

I am looking for a laptop which, if possible, at least meets (runs as smooth as) my current desktop PC:

Current desktop spec
    CPU: Intel pentium 4 2.8 gig
    RAM: 2 x 512mb
    OS Win XP Pro
    Motherboard: ASUS PS4800 MX
    Using on-board Sound and Graphics.

Ideally, I would want it to be compatible with Vista (or whatever is lined up next), although I don't intend to migrate for a few years yet.

Note: The notebook is not intended to replace my current desktop (with which I am very pleased with). I just want to use it for University assignments and surfing the net (including watching videos on Youtube).

Oh... and I want the best bung for my buck which lasts me a few years, afterall I am a student. Thanks in advance.

And I'm not interested in AMD or Linux OS on a laptop.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd recommend you have a look at the DELL website. They have laptops to suit all needs and are quite reasonably priced. From my experience they also offer great customer service which is a must imo.

3. user12

user12 Registered Member

Hi farmerlee,

I have been looking through many websites over this weekend. I'm just confused with the CPU specs. I just want something that's comparable to my current CPU an Intel Pentium 4 2.8. Can you help?

I just want to know which CPU I should look out for: duo core, Centrino, and the speed etc.

edit what processor does your sony vaio run on and how do you compare it to your desktop?

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You should look at your user requirements. Word processing and surfing don't require high specs.

5. user12

user12 Registered Member

Yep I know, but I don't want to spash out £$£$£$ on a new laptop that annoys me, due to speed. Rather spend that extra dime for a faster processor.

Do you know if the older Pentium 4 2.8GHz (desktop) is comparable to a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz mobile laptop?

6. wilbertnl

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well a 1.8 core duo means two 1.8 ghz processers and is quite fast and should be faster than your desktop pc i think.
    btw if you get a dell it will be slow to start with intill you remove the crap that comes with it.
    dell laptops are well bulti.
    lodore

8. user12

user12 Registered Member

thanks. but your talking to a benchmark laymen, especially with so may different types of tests.
    Cheers, it's usually first thing I do with the factory disc.

9. wilbertnl

You are too. :D

10. user12

user12 Registered Member

Great, that's all I'd need to know, if someone could confirm this.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

whats that program that can remove all the crap from a dell laptop with a few clicks?
    dell crap something.
    lodore

12. user12

user12 Registered Member

I don't know never bought a dell, I just use the factory restore CD that usually comes with it.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

It's PC-Decrappifier.

14. malformed

malformed Former Poster

These links may help you.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/

http://www.infopackets.com/channels...een_celeron_pentium_and_athlon_processors.htm

I prefer AMD over Intel, while Core 2 may perform better the price is rather inhibitive and the performance gains don't substantiate the cost. A 64x2 AMD TL-50 will more than supply your needs. As for manufacturer, Acer IMO seems to have the best balance of price, quality and performance. http://us.acer.com - Something in the range of the Aspire 5100

Also see this privacy issue with Acer products - http://vuln.sg/acerlunchapp-en.html

Simply unregister lunchapp > Start>Run> "type or Copy and Paste" regsvr32 -u > you can than either delete the file [lunchapp.ocx] or simply rename it [lunchapp.old].

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

My sony vaio runs a ULV Intel Pentium M 1ghz. Its not exactly blazing fast and can't compare to a desktop but it performs well for everyday tasks and gives me excellent battery life.

Seeing as you only want to use the laptop for regular tasks you don't exactly need a high spec cpu. A celeron or pentium m processor would suffice if budget is an issue.

I have a 1.8ghz core duo processor in my dell laptop and i'd say it performs better than a p4 2.8ghz processor especially in multimedia tasks. If you have the cash i would recommend getting a core duo processor.

16. user12

user12 Registered Member

thanks for the suggestions guys.

@ malformed - There's not much difference between a Turion 64 and Core 2 duo in terms of price where I live (UK).

I am not throwing (spending) figures simply because forum members live in different countries. Whilst I understand lower specs will "suffice" my for usage. I personally find waiting for programs to load or the machine to boot extremely annoying, especially when I usually multi-task. Hence I am willing to pay for performance.

I am not looking for a budget notebook. But I don't want to pay extra for features that I don't require i.e. a high end graphics card or multi-surround super x-bass... sound card.

17. user12

user12 Registered Member

Right, the ACERs seem to be cheaper than DELLs.

What are your experiences with ACER laptop/notebook?

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my sister has a a acer laptop and it works great.
    it wasnt affected by the activex problem.
    it came with norton on a disk but wasnt installed which is a mega plus sinc you can then choose your own antivirus.
    also there isnt to much crap on it.
    lodore

19. user12

user12 Registered Member

Anyone here from the UK?

Anyways I found this ACER Intel Core 2 Duo 1.67 GHz (in Pounds) selling for the same price as this Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz. It's probably the cheapest Core 2 Duo processor I have found so far. I think I need to get down to a store and play around on it before purchase, to make sure it runs as smooth.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im from the uk!
    my siter's laptop was brought from comet.
    that looks like a good deal to me.
    lodore

21. user12

user12 Registered Member

Hi lodore,

there's a better deal for the same ACER but with 1Gig more RAM (2 Gig) and a 1.83 core 2 duo processor for £150 more. I don't think I need that but the deal seems comparatively even better. What do you think?

Do you know if these ones are easily self-upgradable/maintainable? (i.e. are they easy to open to replace components if required) Any ideas on durability?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no idea about duribility
    lodore

23. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Go for a Core 2 Duo if you can. They're currently the fastest and will last you the longest in terms of keeping current and keeping you happy longer. If you got a Pentium M now, you'd end up wanting to upgrade much sooner than if you got a Core 2 Duo. Moving forward I think you're going to see more and more applications making use of the dual core processors. I would say to go with at least 1GB of RAM, but the manufacturers have a tendancy to charge you twice as much as it would cost for you to buy it elsewhere, so look up the prices of what you can get for the same memory before paying extra for the same laptop with extra RAM.

I've got an Acer here and it's been great. Dell and Compaq do also have good deals, moreso with Compaq. Since you're in the UK, I'll say stay away from Packard Bell. If you're going to use it on a regular basis I would say to get at least a 15.4" screen, as the smaller screens can get hard on your eyes after a while (although they are great for travelling, being so small). Go for the extra capacity battery if you can, and wireless networking (also cheap if you buy from a retailer). You will also probably want to consider some extras like a wireless notebook mouse and a cooling pad.

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw tesco sell acer laptops
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999033/Nr.99.aspx
    im sure they have more choice in store thou.
    one note thou even my sister's £350 laptop has wireless so you dont need to pay extra for it because all laptops should have it.
    lodore

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.